Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A/c compressor S4 (Sanden SD 508) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A/c compressor S4 (Sanden SD 508)

Go to solution Solved by shaunw,

Hi all, have the engine out.If I put it back without the a/c compressor is it possible/how easy is it to put it back at a later date.

Has anyone had one of these compressors apart to successfully change the seals (etc.) Thanks for any help.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

I can't help with either of your questions but I do have a brand spanking new compressor (purchased last month for SJ Sportscars) that, rather embarrassingly I don't need as mine turned out not to be faulty 🙄. PM me if you have no luck with the seals and are looking for a replacement, I may be able to save you some money!

Regards

Shaun

The AC compressor can be fitted after the engine is installed. In fact you can take out the engine leaving the AC compressor in the engine bay with the AC hoses connected.

I did it myself a couple of years back when I converted the non working R12 system into a R134a system. 

• Like 1

Esprit Freak

It's possible to remove it with the engine in the car, so it should be possible to put it back as well. It's a big, heavy thing to get into position and properly aligned, otherwise pretty straightforward.

Edit: Freek just beat me to it. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks for all replies. I may reinstall the air con in a few months time.             Freek, what is involved in the change from R12 to R 134a and does it cool the cabin well.

Due to R134 and R12 being different gasses you need to change "some" parts which are suitable for R134a :sofa: 

• all hoses
  • receiver drier and prussure switch
  • thermal expansion valve, with one adaptor to fit the valve to the evaporator. New tartape in order to repack the new expansion valve.
  • Flush condensor (getting rid of R12 Oil)
  • Compressor, I fitted an SD514
  • add 2 service ports to the hoses
  • As the connections on the new sanden compressor where radialy mounted you need 2 "short" 90 deg hoseconnectors
  • Fill the system with R134a and maybe some additional oil (usually there is an amount of oil in the new compressor) 

It cools the cabin more than OK, but I have no camparison against a working R12 system. (In my opinion the glass sunroof also does marvels for putting heat into the cabin)

Big job but doable, hardest part is removing / routing the hoses through the sill cover (just remove it and refit) and under the fueltank. 

SD5H14.jpg

TX Valve with Elbow.jpg

Evap special coupling.jpg

Hose routing 1 sill.jpg

Service Ports.jpg

• Thanks 1

Esprit Freak

Thanks again Freek, as I thought , that is virtually all the parts and I thought the hoses through the body would be a nightmare. I will ,at a later date ,look into rebuilding the compressor I have and use a compatible gas and oil and make the necessary other changes.There used to be info on u tube and I have written instructions somewhere .Thanks again.

• 7 months later...

A/C Compressor PN#-s for R134a?

It's Winter, so it is a right time to think about Summer driving.

Recently, I found AC Delco PN# 1135418 on eBay listed as x-ref for late 4 cyl Lotus cars.
I checked my old notes and have a different number(s) , like

1998 Buick Skylark V6, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am V6, Delphi PN# 1135153.

and ACDelco: 15-20335, 15-21209,

also General Motors: 1135089, 1135153, 1135208, 1135270, 1135418

What is correct ?

Here is a picture of my S4s (original?) leaky compressor.

IMG_6447.JPG

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...