Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cam belt cover - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cam belt cover

Go to solution Solved by EXCEL V8,

Hi all my last elite did not have a cambelt cover so made one from fibreglass etc but was surprised that when serviced they removed it and disposed of it saying it should not be there

But I find in the parts list that one is listed

So on my new 79 elite should there be one and any ideas where one can be found or another that can be modified 

Not sure I like the belt exposed to all that comes thro radiator

Ta all

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Certainly have seen cases where they are present and sometimes missing,

have a read of https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/68115-cambelt-cover-some-do-some-dont/  as well.

They do tend to get 'lost' while doing a belt change etc. But they should not have chucked your item.

13 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

They do tend to get 'lost' while doing a belt change etc. But they should not have chucked your item.

This. They could have removed if they thought it shouldn't be there, but there is no excuse for them chucking it and leaving you searching for another one!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Pete thanks for offer but I think I'll go for the earlier shape which I know is a lot dearer but will cover more  or I may go back to making my own   ps for all  the lotus dealer who thru away my old diy one was from Dorking

Again ta for offer

Arthur   79 elite

I sold my early type to another forum member earlier this year.  I may have a tatty early one in the loft - it may be something you could use to create your own mould from if you're good with fibreglass.  I'll have a look for it - I don't normally throw anything away!

Pete

Hi Pete

Ta I've done it before without any pattern so your cover would be great   the new replacement is over £100 so could put this towards carb rebuild really.needs doing

Arthur 

Just pass on something I found it's felt material that has an adhesive backing    it is a bit stretchy ideal to do headlining which I have done already

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete  looks good will save me a lot of work   how do you want to go from here  money?

Maybe list on ebay it's up to you

Arthur

Ps   I live in the Scottish highlands re postage

Hi Petr Just trying to make sure you get paid

Ps    I have another possible.  there seems to be a panel behind the radiator that I assume deflects the air out through the slats in the bonnet any ideas

You might want to know another elite came up for sale near me a total wreck no door cards, lining, ripped seats, poor body and engine missing bits

It was a 1975 and fetched £2250!!

Hello Bibs  really thanks for tip but if I click on box I go to account!!

To be honest I'm new to this site and find it almost impossible to use  I only have a mobile phone maybe this is the problem I dont know but I am getting fed up

Arthur

I'll take a photo of the panel over the weekend.  I'm old - I never use my phone for this stuff!  Site is really easy to use on a laptop/computer/tablet.  Don't lose heart - lots of really good info on the site.  Next challenge - you need to post some photos of your car 🙂

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete     old ha ha I'm 81years old  I can remember using the very first home computer 

I only access the internet using my phone there is no hard wired  internet available 

My elite is to replace the one I lost during divorce its 1979 in red has new chassis etc but sold cheap as it needs rewiring after new owner   i think some of the bits missing got lost during this

Arthur