Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone on here removed the rear clam on their Evora? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone on here removed the rear clam on their Evora?

I need to get the clutch changed.  Is it difficult or just time consuming?   Anyone offering to do this at reasonable price?

thx

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

A guy out in Oz is posting on FB just now https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3534286230119454&set=gm.2636698353173383&idorvanity=294040440772531

Looking at that, I think I'll be speaking nicely to the bank manager and leaving it to the 'professionals' when the time comes, :rolleyes: .

• Haha 1

It is not difficult but there's many bolts & nuts to turn and some could be seized, lots of stuff to disconnect etc. I've seen it done at home, there's no special tools involved you just need space and a lot of time and patience. 

Hanger 111 had my Launch Edition for 36 hours of labour fitting an Evora 400 flywheel & clutch assembly, though there were a few hours doing some extra stuff, some of which should have been done Free of Charge when with previous owners - heatproof shrouding and water sealing mods as per Hethel's bulletins. 

They also replaced the rear crankshaft oil seal costing £95, which wasn't leaking but had done 53,800 miles, and we didn't want the engine out again just for that! (Something to bear in mind?)

Also, Hanger 111 have a technique for hanging the Power Steering Pump and reservoir out of the way to save disconnecting and refilling.

My parts bill (including VAT) was £1283, which was 40% of the total. There's a lot to be saved by doing it yourself but you'll need a big garage and some assistance with removing and replacing the rear clamshell from what I observed at Hanger111. I've got some photos in my phone of the work in progress that I can post if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

On 28/08/2023 at 16:32, LotusFella said:

I need to get the clutch changed.  Is it difficult or just time consuming?   Anyone offering to do this at reasonable price?

thx

Good luck.  Out of interest how many miles has yours done?  Is it a 400?

exchanged the gearbox at home. i think it is very doable but a lot of work.

I would not start at it with little mechanical skills to be honest.

• Gold FFM

Mine has been off numerous times - its a proverbial PA and one of the less attractive aspects of owning an Evora.  However IMO its a fairly essential 'know how' for any mechanically minded Evora owner as it permits so many jobs to be achieved that much easier than with the cam on  eg Auxilliary Belt replacement.  There are numerous vids on YouTube and note that the service manual is certainly not 100% accurate and the 'first time' will involve quite a bit of head scratching.

You do ideally need a second pair of hands and certainly enough space to lay down the removed clam.

• Like 1

(The one and only....'Deep Purple' Esprit GT3)

• Gold FFM

Phil

Thanks for your post, as I am just about to pull my engine and gearbox to renew clutch and investigate gearbox 'rattle' and wondering what else to tackle whilst I have the opportunity of the clam off and engine out etc.

Apart from the 'obvious' fluids change and Aux Belt renewal, the engine mounts seem ok and I've got an oil weep somewhere on the timing belt cover which I need to check out.  I've also taken the opportunity to do some 'cosmetics' by cleaning up surface corrosion on the air box mount (I have BOE fitted so it is exposed and  was a bit untidy) and also the gear cable mount which seems to get a lot of rain/wash water collection. I have also replaced some of that awful bulkhead heat insulation 'stuff' which falls and makes an ugly mess in a few places.

AirBoxmount.jpg.850a14856a1f38c9522da95214cce9c9.jpg

HeatInsulation.jpg.346e97132df8ce642f5b3ca4eced5221.jpg

Other than that - any suggestions, particularly mechanical ?  I like the idea of replacing crankshaft oil seal, but I am interested in your comments about "heatproof shrouding and water sealing mods" what are those exactly ?

• Like 1

no slippage.  It's been heavy for a long time (over 2 years), almost as log as I have owned it.  Do you think it could be something else?

I do have a 2 post lift but have a land rover series 3 on that as doing that restore.  I'm hoping to do it on axle stands and a double garage.  unless someone says a 2 post lift make it so much easier.

Can be done using an engine hoist without 2 post. That is the way i have pulled he engine of the evora.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LotusFella said:

no slippage.  It's been heavy for a long time (over 2 years), almost as log as I have owned it.  Do you think it could be something else?

I do have a 2 post lift but have a land rover series 3 on that as doing that restore.  I'm hoping to do it on axle stands and a double garage.  unless someone says a 2 post lift make it so much easier.

I’ve got 34k miles on my 400 hence my question and also that it naturally perks my interest when I hear that others need new clutches at that sort of mileage.  I know there are some dodgy ones but for the most part they should last far longer than that unless it’s been “launched” regularly.

I’d be inclined to eliminate more accessible stuff, eg, fluids, hydraulics, binding of levers etc before whipping off the rear end and engine, although if you’re that way inclined it makes for an interesting project.

10 hours ago, steamdriven said:

investigate gearbox 'rattle'

I have some of that, too, and it is a bit more present now, after my recent clutch "upgrade". I would be grateful if you could share any conclusions / guess on this as you progress on your car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LotusFella said:

do you have to lift it out completely or can you lift it a little enough to get the gearbox off?

Had to lift it out completely. But to be honest i have not looked at doing it otherwise.

You already have to get everything off .

Cannot remember i have taken the bumper off thought it stayed on the clam.

If you take the clam off there are shim plates underneath to correct the position of the clam (at least at my car).

Just put them back in the same place.

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, Arregueti said:

I have some of that, too, and it is a bit more present now, after my recent clutch "upgrade". I would be grateful if you could share any conclusions / guess on this as you progress on your car.

I had clutch replacement at only about 7,000 miles ago at which point I also fitted lightweight flywheel.  It is mainly track use and gearbox rattle started after a particularly 'fun' blast one evening at Brands. Gear selection has become a bit more 'iffy' than usual too.

The guys at Back on Track tell me that they have seen this happen due to breakage/degradation of the original gear selector forks and they recommend replacement with brass forks.  I am just about to investigate further and will report back over the next few weeks:- probably start a new thread so keep an eye.

ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks @steamdriven I did have my forks/selectors replaced in 2017, after one failed (there is a thread about it on here). Komotec installed the reinforced ones at the time (or so I was told) and a new OEM clutch that disintegrated this summer... My gear changes have actually become more precise with the new clutch, but I have to admit I am super careful and the noise-vibration (which was already there) has also become more intense with the new clutch. I just hope I am not facing another engine out job shortly. I do not know whether it is better to pray or cross my fingers...

• Sad 1