Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 11 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

I have to admit Andy, looking at your "small" profile picture she is a real beauty and the red and white just suits the car prefectly. If I had the cash sitting around that is definitely the car I would be looking to get into and to be be honest, the Ferrari would be nowt but a distant memory, and probably quite distant in the rear view mirror on my favourite roads!  :)

However, after saying that, seeing that lovely long chrome gear selector and the delectable metal grate in the Ferrari - oooh, if only my manual Evora had one of those.....   :unworthy:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The metal gate is all very nice, until you have to do the linkage adjustment to get the gate to line up exactly with the gearbox selectors, which can take hours!

Ooooh, but the that's why I pay the dealer for servicing etc.....   :huh:

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Here are the auction results from Silverstone Classic.  Not many bargains to be had!

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/the-silverstone-classic-sale-2015/view_lots/pn/1/sort/default/order/asc

This Mercedes 190 made over £100,000.  Chavtastic!  A hoodie, an ASBO certificate and a stolen I-Phone came with the consignment.

Merc%20190_zps47oskkkn.jpg

A nice car, but £100k, jeez......

The small print.

I went to look at one of these in Hertfordshire in a dealers about 8 years ago, it was one of only 6 UK registered cars and was up for sale at £20k with 20k miles on the clock. I couldn't quite raise the cash at that time so could have it.....they've certainly gone up since then, massively.

I gave them a call and told them you thought the price was crazy and they agreed an adjustment.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C636373

You might want to give these guys a ring too.  

4567452345_zpsgkve2qi5.jpg

It's from this months Classic & Sportscar magazine.  In the magazine auction listing it shows a Turbo Esprit in good condition sold for £15k.

The Fibreglass 308's make me smile - It was not that long ago all Motoring Journos 308/Esprit reviews dismissed the Esprit purely because it was 'plastic' and now look how they value and even market the plastic 308's over and above the steel-bodied ones!

• Like 1

Does "recorded in the 308 fibreglass register" add some sort of value?

What does exactly does "detailing" 55,000 miles mean?

Not forgetting "ready to be enjoyed" - Presumably you shouldn't automatically expect it to be ready to be enjoyed at £188k?

I suppose if you're about to blow that amount of money on a car you might expect and be impressed by some ridiculously flowery language 

It's an interesting point. In terms of added value, are our certificates of provenance worth the money we pay for them? 

(this is not to suggest that it's anything other than fantastic to have a channel to the Lotus records in Andy Graham)

"ready to be enjoyed"

= not had a floorcloth wiped over it for the past 20 years

= don't expect it to be anywhere near as nice as the price suggests

= you could use it at the dodgems and it wouldn't look any worse

etc.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Having a look through the list...here and there some prices seem "ok" like the 348 GTS gone for 36 000 GBP, but that might have been a dog? NSX that went for 43,000 too..not too bad... 

I can't stop laughing at the '91 911 expected to fetch 230,000 GBP though.....and that 190 truly takes the cake at 100,000. Joke's on the buyer....

Odd lack of Lambo's in these discussions though. I've recently unearthed some sources with DIY guides for the Murcielago and Diablo so could imagine myself exploring those avenues after the Esprit. However it might be going from one uncollectible classic to another.... wonder why nobody's driving/talking about those cars? 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

No idea, although I think the VW Lambos gotta have parts aplenty. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Everyone wants the price to rise for self validation, yeah I love Esprits and the price is rising so everyone else does, In reality probably none of us would have one if the prices were going stupid like with other classics.

I had a Testarossa down as the next car I would get myself having admired them for ages, Now a couple of years back they were selling for 40k euros which I could stretch to not that the other half would like it but I could justify it, but someone somewhere decided that they're worth triple that and are now selling for 100k plus which 1 I can't afford and 2 could never justify having a car worth a house  :D

So next I may go for an S1 or a V8 as these are both still affordable though hard to justify buying two of the same car (that is how she will see it......)

I hope the Esprits stay affordable as I want to buy more..........

Laurie, I've got 2 more or less the same. If you need any help with b......t justification let me know!!!!!

• Like 1

Everyone wants the price to rise for self validation, yeah I love Esprits and the price is rising so everyone else does, In reality probably none of us would have one if the prices were going stupid like with other classics.

yeah but now that we all have one, let the price hike commence  :whistle:

no thanks, that will just lead to less driving the cars, and lesser spares and dealers. They'll end up as garage Queens from a long lost forgotten era.

The prices are right now somewhere between very cheap and a little bit expensive. This will keep the worst car-thrashers off, together with the worst 18 y.o. drunken stereoid users, and leave it to us, who will and can appreciate a Lotus Esprit for what is is: A superb drivers sportscar.

Speculation: No Thanks!

If you want to multiply some of your Money, just buy something really odd like an old egyptian necklace, once touched by a palaceguard, who used to know the Family who breeded Nefertitis cat, and which have since been in custody of the russian tsar's private Cook, during the very first day of the russian revolution, and having a frustrated divorced american female writing a book about it.

And leave the Esprits affordable to the rest of us normal people, with a normal income, thanks.   ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I had a old Lambo (a big year ago) and i bought the car with many parts,

just because the old owner, collected all the parts year after year, because its hard to find,

i still have 24 valve's (new in box) 12 inlet and 12 outlet, they are worth almost 2000 euro

if i can sell them for 1000 i am happy, but i dont get response....

my old lambo was a series 2 espada, and yess they are getting very high right now,