Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 26 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

Indeed......however the sales market potential for this RHD version is mainly limited to the UK.........the market potential for Continental Europe (LHD) is almost 10 x bigger as the RHD-UK market........ and it has almost 90.000 km on the odo...........

Ruud

I can certainly understand your reasoning Jacques! I also love the fact that the Esprit is a supercar that can and should be used on a regular basis. Once prices get to silly levels, no one in his right mind will do that anymore, and those who are crazy enough will probably find the parts needed to keep the cars going are becoming excessively expensive as well. On the other hand, I do like the fact that the higher prices indicate the Esprit is finally being seen as the amazing and exclusive car it is.

On a more selfish note, I like the fact I managed to get my Esprits before prices rose out off my range. Two sides to that medal though, as I found out last year when I was forced to look for another car and really wanted another Esprit SE. My budget didn't allow me to be picky and I was very, very fortunate to find the great example I have now. I must add this was only possible through the help of this forum! As much as I'd be tempted to sell if someone made me a silly offer, just so I could start a new challenge, I also realize I'd probably end up with a long search for a similar car (the only replacement for an SE for me would be the Sport300) and miss out on all those wonderful drives in the mean time.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

It's a point of view Jaques. But it's not reality mate. Market forces and what people are prepared to pay along with ever diminishing numbers will dictate price. You can always select for less but who on earth would do that ! Prices will no doubt fluctuate as with any commodity but the likelihood of a well look after Esprit staying at the same level would seem very unlikely. But who knows ?

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

On 16/03/2016 at 20:31, The Pits said:

I get that the 308 would be worth more, it's exceptionally pretty, one of Pininfarina's finest moments. I'll wager more delicate and responsive to drive than any of the 12-cylinder Ferraris up to and including the 550 Maranello. I'm just not sure why it's worth THAT much more than an Esprit. It's really looking like the Esprit is starting to catch up however. There are fewer buyers who want Esprits but there must be far fewer really good examples too.

Thats right, the 3x8 is a much better car to drive than the 12-cylinder cars. The Boxer in particular is a heavy beast of a car, not driver-friendly at all.

Its all quite irrelevant how the cars look or drive though when it comes to Ferrari. Much like pieces of art which fetch huge prices are nothing to do with the aesthetics of the picture. Its purely down to investment potential. The market drives the market, egged-on by the dealers colluding to inflate pricing, until such time as the bubble bursts and it all collapses. The only thing that matters is mileage, which is particularly bad if you own a Ferrari and actually want to drive it. Many Ferraris are never driven. I have a friend who stores his 430 in car storage over the winter and there are cars in there which the owners have never even seen let alone driven.

This is not a good situation. I would be the first to admit that my 328 has become rather a garage queen. Also insurance gets crazily expensive.

The best way for the Esprit to go is to rise to a value which the car is actually worth in its own right rather than as an investment. There is no doubt that the cars have been undervalued for years. They are least appreciated here in the UK. The Americans value them far higher. Thats a British thing. Even owners seem to like slagging them off sometimes and many dont look after the cars properly. Values wont rise appreciably until all the tat which is out there has gone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rudolphwolven said:

NEW.........LHD  1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE U9............. 66.926 km .................only    28.900,-

"mobile de"

$_20[5].JPG

Beautiful! I can't remember seeing a yellow one before. Why are all the really good ones LHD?! (or in Norway just for you Vanya!)

:cry:

Haven't seen a really nice 'low wing' SE for sale here in ages (that isn't Calypso Red!)

I just saw a Lancia Integrale today that went for £84k in auction recently. OK it had a claim to some unique provenance and to be the only one of its kind (but nothing officially verified by Lancia) but still.... a bargain next to an M3 E30 Evo I suppose but it's a reminder that however much some think Esprit prices may have risen, it's nowhere near as crazy as with some other makes of cars.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Okay, I surrender, then. I want at least 300.000 gbp for my Esprit this year, and if not, I'll wait till' I can get 500.000 gbp or more.

And later on, in some 8-10 years, I would want 800.000 gbp and aSport300.

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

10 hours ago, The Pits said:

Beautiful! I can't remember seeing a yellow one before. Why are all the really good ones LHD?! (or in Norway just for you Vanya!)

:cry:

Haven't seen a really nice 'low wing' SE for sale here in ages (that isn't Calypso Red!)

What's wrong with Calypso Red? Although to yellow does look great as well, and would avoid the Ferrari-questions. B-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

7 minutes ago, Escape said:

What's wrong with Calypso Red? Although to yellow does look great as well, and would avoid the Ferrari-questions. B-)

Lots of yellow Ferraris in the UK...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

19 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Lots of yellow Ferraris in the UK...

I know the Scuderia's offical color is (was?) yellow, but you can't deny that a red Esprit is more likely to get asked if it was built in Maranello, especially by people that have never heard of Lotus...

Yes the Ferrari thing is a factor but there's quite a nice SE for sale right now but it's Calypso Red like the vast majority of Turbo SE's. Nothing against it on other Loti, but I prefer the other colours on a Turbo SE. Don't want to upset the Calypso crew, there are hundreds of you out there ;)

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

Some money in the bank doesn't seem like a good swap in exchange for never driving my Turbo again.

:no

I paid £15K for my S2. I bought it because I love it and always wanted one...... happy coincidence that I figured it would be better to have the money in a car than in the bank, and I'm glad I can tell my wife I was right.

I agree though..... even if the Porsche and other marque bubble bursts, I doubt there will come a time that my car is worth less than I paid for it.

• Like 1

I was amazed to see the BMW M1 sell at $600,000, which I always thought of when I thought of Esprits. Too many reasons to list why lotus didnt keep up with BMW.  Still, will be interesting to see what happens with the best conditioned, highest power, Esprits.  

18 hours ago, rudolphwolven said:

It seems like in the homeland of Ferrari, Chapman's ingenuity is more appreciated / recognised as in many other countries on the Continent (and UK?).  

From the total 35 x ...LHD...Esprit's offered at Autoscout24.de an astonishing 18 units are from Italian origin...........

Below one nice 1992 2,0 ltr. / 243 PS Esprit for ........ 33.500........ 

$_20.JPG

That may be because it comes with the model pictured.