Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 68 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 hours ago, pete said:

My grandson asked me today why I hadn't got an ev as it was much better for the environment. Turns out this is what they are being told in school, brainwashing them early.

My Grandad was my idol when I was growing up............he was real school....:respect:

Dave.

10 hours ago, Rambo said:

Errrrrr... you're not supposed to be texting whilst driving. Even in an electric car 🤔

Good point.

@andyj007 :bustedcop::popo:

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Rambo said:

Errrrrr... you're not supposed to be texting whilst driving. Even in an electric car 🤔

traffic jam , thats ok in my book .. 

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
On 16/01/2024 at 09:22, Kimbers said:

Wendy's Kia Sportage 3 spec (2nd top) £236 a month over 3 years. Every 3 years I just replace her car with another. No MOT costs, no repairs ever as they are always in warranty.

image.png

dont you need to drop a coupel K  down as first payment ?  i think we will do this next time..   back in the day owning a car car was a sense of achivement, saving up   , it was yours .. something to be proud off.. all that goes out the window with a car thats never yours .. its taking me a while to get my head around that .. always been a save up buy person..   but at least i have my classics ,   but as new cars get more unreliable and expensive fix even the small things like hedlight bulbs run into thousands .  1 headlamp on some cars is 6 months payments ! on a deal like this .   its a no brainer ,, i feel sorry for those that have to buy these cars second hand ...  and foot the bill for the parts when they fail tho..   their choices for cars cheap to fix are dissapearing 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/22/the-guardian-view-on-suvs-the-trend-towards-vast-cars-needs-to-be-reversed

Not just EV's but all these new cars getting bigger and bigger, every manufacturer seems to want to play top trumps including size - is size really important..

Last year the average width passed 180cm, too big to fit comfortably in some parking spaces. Campaigners warn that unless regulators step in, cars could keep growing to match trucks and buses.

Even the growing market for electric SUVs risks becoming part of the problem, since calculations of environmental impact include materials and energy used in manufacture, as well as minerals for batteries. While electric vehicles will always be preferable to exact equivalents powered by petrol or diesel, the size of some is cancelling out the benefits of what is meant to be a transition to a greener lifestyle.

• Like 2

in moto gp this year all paddock bikes must be electric

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The average customer seems to want ever more gadgets, insulation, comfort trickery, safety features etc. It is only logical that cars grow bigger to accommodate all this.

Manufacturers know fully well that a bigger car with more profit will allow a bigger margin, so why invest in something compact? Look at any brand and compare the same model from 40/30/20 years ago with the current offering. It's a huge difference, usually the model has gone up at least one segment. And often no smaller models are introduced to fill the gap, as there simply isn't enough demand.

Trying to stop this trend with more regulations is just another example of how those in charge want to control every aspect of our lives (imho). I wonder what will be next, outlaw all bright colors because somebody could take offense and a car, being inherently evil, should not look attractive in the first place. 😕

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

So what I was looking at was relating more to Volvo and the value of their holding in Polestar

Sweden’s Volvo Car AB saw its target price cut by more than a third to a new street low after analysts at SEB AB scrubbed the value they assign to the company’s 48% stake in struggling EV maker Polestar.

Volvo Car’s new target price of 28 Swedish kronor per share follows “sizable estimate cuts” and “no longer attributing a value to Polestar,” SEB analysts said in a note to clients. The research team had previously given Polestar an 18 billion kronor ($1.72 billion)

14 hours ago, Escape said:

The average customer seems to want ever more gadgets, insulation, comfort trickery, safety features etc. It is only logical that cars grow bigger to accommodate all this.

Manufacturers know fully well that a bigger car with more profit will allow a bigger margin, so why invest in something compact? Look at any brand and compare the same model from 40/30/20 years ago with the current offering. It's a huge difference, usually the model has gone up at least one segment. And often no smaller models are introduced to fill the gap, as there simply isn't enough demand.

Trying to stop this trend with more regulations is just another example of how those in charge want to control every aspect of our lives (imho). I wonder what will be next, outlaw all bright colors because somebody could take offense and a car, being inherently evil, should not look attractive in the first place. 😕

Agree that governments may well cock up anything they attempt to regulate. What I see looming is an era of declining financial well-being for what remains of the middle class and, if at all true, market forces will impell the industry to make vehicles in harmony with that reality. Quite certain it's economics above all compelling the proliferation of bicycles in my part of the world.

I think the economics of supply and demand are being pushed to one side for the last couple of years. People don't actually need the newest smartphone or a TV that is just the a bit bigger/flatter/brighter than the one they have and that is working fine. Or the latest electrified carbon framed bicycle (that needs to resort to carbon to compensate for the heavy electric system that most don't need in the first place). It's similar with cars, I feel like a lot of options/features or technology is pushed, either by regulations or brands and not really aimed at what the public wants or needs. But if the media make a hype out of it and enough green wingers claim it will safe the planet, lots of people will happily bury themselves ind debt just to comply.

Or maybe I'm the exception that is content with a basic phone and wants a simple car that is fun to drive and looks good. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Which @Rambo for the average "Joe/Joanne" going to/from work, shopping, the gym whatever in a Town/City would be a great, cheap, motoring buy. Also ideal for youngsters who just drive locally. When it packs up, throw it away, buy another one!

The only issue is you would, I believe, HAVE to charge it at home as the charging modules/cables it uses are being phased out and will not be public charging compatible - I am sure I have understood that correctly and it only affects Leaf's manufactured before 2019.

The small print.

Yes...and also its the Leaf that has the poorest reputation for battery deg as well as the type 1 connector - the old ones are cheap because no one wants one.

But in better news it seems I'm not the only data point on singing the i3's praises.  There's at least two of us.  This posted on SpeakEV yesterday:

Todays date Jan 2024. Am based in Wales United Kingdom. My car BMW i3 is 2014 60Ah Rex. This little Gem has just passed 211,000 miles (339,000 km). Car has been absolutely amazing so far. Still on original battery & a set of original factory brakes. Full BMW service history. In Winter I still get 60 miles + from battery. Use slow granny charger every night.

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

There is no doubt the I3 is a great car, but it's frugly (my eyes) on the outside. I quite like the interior with the suicide rear doors. Very practical as is the boot 😵

Still not practical for anything much more than local commuting and journeys/weekend trips. Many are the lower 100/80 mile ranges.

image.png.bbb461d1915eaa2762326cec03b5a9bf.png

The small print.

The prices for used EVs are still way below were they were @Bibs and again, as I have said many times before, it is the price sensitivity (along with worries re batteries) that re keeping people in the mass market away from EV's. The price rises in the article are all sub £25k used EV's, many of which started out life less than 2 years ago as £50k+ EV's. I hate to say it, but the six figure "semi-premium" EV's are going to get battered in the 2nd hand market. The Taycan is a case in point where three year "losses" are in the £60-80k range, so buyer beware.

The price rebound, as stated in the article, is due to manufacturers offering very little, new, in the sub £25k bracket for EV buyers to salivate over. The long term trend is still down.

As I stated above though, the good news is that if you're in the market, a 2 year old Merc EQB, with 7 seats, over 300 miles range and AWD is an absolute steal at £25k.

The small print.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

There is no doubt the I3 is a great car, but it's frugly (my eyes) on the outside. I quite like the interior with the suicide rear doors. Very practical as is the boot 😵

Still not practical for anything much more than local commuting and journeys/weekend trips. Many are the lower 100/80 mile ranges.

image.png.bbb461d1915eaa2762326cec03b5a9bf.png

I have to say @C8RKH my wife has had one of these for the last two maybe three years, bought new (one of the last ones before they stopped production) for her it is absolutely brilliant and to be honest I quite like it too, she absolutely loves it. She had a BMW 440i Coupe beforehand and the running costs are night and day. We charge it at home on the Octopus EV tariff thing @Bibs recommended. Bloody cheap motoring although I will disagree the suicide doors are a pain in the arse!! Also someone keyed it, which surprised me, but there you go!! 

I am just waiting for delivery of the new Tesla 3 Highland, no I do not find it in the slightest bit interesting, can't say it is particularly that good to look at either and I haven't even driven one. This will be my first company car in at least 25 years, BIK something like £407 a year, charger at work and obvs at home, zero road tax, no CC charge, all maintenance inc tyres and i do 25k miles a year. It's an appliance and for me that works financially and I have never had a cool work car because only scaffolders are allowed to drive Range Rovers 😀

Also when Spring comes I can always pull out the Evora 

• Like 1