Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit not starting - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit not starting

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

We definitely need more information on the car. Model and year would be a good start

• Like 1

Only here once

25 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Model and year would be a good start

It's in his signature, maybe he's just added it. 

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Ahh 1990 SE

First thing I’d look is if there’s any codes on Freescan. 

Is the fuel pump running? The crank position sensor would be my next look.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

You need to get freescan chap. It’ll tell you a whole lot.

unless it sees where the crank is it won’t spark.

Only here once

Did this problem occur all of a sudden, or was work done on the car, stuff replaced etc? It's easy to miss a ground and cause a starting issue.
How have you checked for spark? With a plug, grounded by a separate cable?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

hi filip, thankyou for your help no work has been done it suddenly wont start no spark also i have engine managment light on but i no lead for my laptop spoken to barry he sent me link regarding purchasing one thanks RON

Do you see the rpm rise on freescan when you try to start? If not, the likely suspect is the crank position sensor or its wiring.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Excuse me jumping-in on this thread but this similar problem has just arisen on my '98 GT3 and so I found your advice above really useful.

Genius advice guys- thanks to you I hooked-up Freescan and there is no RPM reading on cranking, so I am guessing crank sensor/wiring as suggested by @Escape

I think I must have disturbed something when I had a 'tidy-up' of the wiring when I removed the air intake hose that crosses the flywheel housing right next to the crank sensor (don't fix anything unless its broken, right !).

So how do I now test whether I need a new sensor or whether I've 'simply' disturbed the wiring somehow ?  (I've already tried disconnect/connect at the sensor and everything is visually clean and sound)

(The one and only....'Deep Purple' Esprit GT3)

• Gold FFM

Update on my post above:- I've taken crank sensor to the bench and tested with multimeter (it gives me small a/c current and internal ohms resistance is intact) Also I've tested wiring back to coil assembly and that is ok too (got good earth on the ground wire and the +ve wire is intact and there is no short to earth.).   So what the hell ?  Why is FreeScan not reading revs when cranking.  Also I forgot to say - I have no fault codes showing on FreeScan.

• Gold FFM

Did you disconnect/reconnect anything during the tidy up?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the question @Sparky - answer is that I did notice that the red insulation boot on the starter motor +ve connection post was falling apart so I disconnected and fitted a nice new silicone one, also the spade connection on the starter motor for the red/white wire that triggers starter to engage was very loose and I had been suffering intermittent failure of the starter to engage, so I disconnected and crimped that up for a better connection.  That is about it.  I was pleased that the starter was firing up but not so pleased that the engine stopped firing. !

• Gold FFM

OK.  I only asked as from memory there are 2 identical plugs hanging around there (one is the crank sensor) so could get mixed up.  Appears this is not the case!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I am going to start a new thread, as it looks like - in my case - the ECU is not picking up the crank sensor output