Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mandatory Speed Limiters coming in 7th July!! - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Mandatory Speed Limiters coming in 7th July!!

4 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

just how long is your driveway?

Sadly not quite long enough to pit the Esprit and Vantage against each other for a 0-60-0 test 😉

• Haha 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The public should have benefit of useful education in any decent society, it was by way of that I came to fully grasp the imperative of seatbelts. On the other hand sloppy government is what we can thank for much of the current day automotive annoyances. Not so very long ago one did not dare to run other than feeble incandescent headlamps in many parts of America for fear of sanction in using superior halogens. That was government indifference combined with cronyism. Nowadays the automakers clearly have latitude to slam our retinas with whatever the f&*k they think will add to the bottom line, and thus the public is again done a disservice. The infernal nagging of these audible alerts is well beyond what's needed but corporate Karens , abiding absolutely no risk of liability, will heap as much of the crap onto us as they can figure how to. As this process unfolds it's a pitiful truth to say that the outcome is sure to be an ever dumber Joe Average, not wiser but certainly more detached from a grating reality.      

We are slowly giving up, while sleep walking through life, so many of our hard won freedoms and rights it is alarming.

At the same time, the indifference shown to others, and the levels of selfishness and entitlement, are just off the scale.

Social Media, influenzas and the pandemic have speeded up the process considerably.

The future actually looks quite grim and dare I say it, boring, for the human race, as things stand.

No doubt the hype around AI will accelerate further our transformation from active and useful to lazy and useless.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

They say that science fiction movies are a predictor of future actualities. Which future are we heading towards

The Matrix "I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me."

The Terminator "I'll be back"

Star wars "Feel the force Luke"

Sorry for the drift.

I'm starting to feel like it's going to end like Logan's run. They had the autonomous vehicles too so no one got a speeding ticket (see, we're still on topic).

However, in my version, everyone under 35 would go :harhar:

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Can I vote for this future? 9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DfGZQfjEdZd7oKlsiR53VLHvSZExpMzuRmKdwHbkL9PkHfrSURpNtgl7iajRS_AWw7x4l3h8FL3fZr49UPjSttx0NeOMsn1IbVG+q8zjuVLXMB2weYsmjXNAOjaBqcJLLoCmWx+YofdknfQEsIcbnTPj1dVPC_yCFnMR1o6rLGeG.webp

Certainly not the brightest future either, but at least there is still an Esprit on the road. 🙂 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

12 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

They say that science fiction movies are a predictor of future actualities. Which future are we heading towards

The Matrix "I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me."

The Terminator "I'll be back"

Star wars "Feel the force Luke"

Sorry for the drift.

I'm guessing this is the future we are heading for.

The film Idiocracy is a comedy about a hibernating couple who wake up in the future.

"Over the next several hundred years, average intelligence decreases due to societal expectations, discouraging well-educated individuals from having children as the less-educated reproduce indiscriminately; genetic engineering is forgone in favor of hair loss and erectile dysfunction treatments. As a result, infrastructure deteriorates, low comedy and explicitness defines culture, and consumerism is left unfettered."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

• Like 1

Autonomous cars of the future - Woody Allen's Sleeper, the film also contains other futuristic devices. This may be quite accurate for our future. hahaha.

• Like 1

Helpfully Land Rover have a button on the steering wheel that allows to to turn off the annoying beeps. Apparently it is legislation that they are there and enabled. But one press on the button when you start and off they go. 

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• 1 month later...

Did you know about this? We knew it was coming but not so quickly!

"Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system for the current journey by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be re-engaged every time a car is started.

If you think you can simply keep pressing a little harder on the throttle to break through the system, think again. ETSC also states that: ‘If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit for several seconds, the system should sound a warning for a few seconds and display a visual warning until the vehicle is operating at or below the speed limit again.’

European Transport and Safety Council admits the system will come with a full on/off switch initially. This is only 'to aid public acceptance at introduction' however, and so it’s likely that it intends to push for even stricter rules in the future, meaning a permanent system may come into force."

• Sad 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

23 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Did you know about this? We knew it was coming but not so quickly!

yes,

https://forums.thelotusforums.com/topic/122032-no-more-speeding-tickets-the-tech-which-is-going-to-make-you-slow-down/#comment-1040745

• Like 1

Yeah, it's been discussed and called out on here several times.

But hey, judging by the number of people on here who "love" their "buttons and drivers aids" I am sure these new ones will be welcomed with open arms.

After all, "it's progress" they will shout with glee.

"For the drivers" - my arse.... lol.......

It'll certainly make our more analog "sports" cars more valuable in the future @Kimbers

• Like 1

The small print.

I suspect it will make used cars more attractive. 

very open to abuse as well as the GPS system will know where you are at all times. What speed you are doing, how you are driving, how many miles you do.......

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

They don't physically slow the car they just warn you that its going over.

These actually cut the power to the drive and won't allow it. 

They also monitor your speed, position and can even check your driving. Eventually I'm pretty sure they will be able to use it to ticket you for speeding/road charging etc 

Beautiful @drdoom. I totally agree with you, but even on a forum for drivers and car lovers people have been getting wet y-fronts over the tech in their cars...  

UN-BE-LIEVABLE hahahaha,

The small print.

Reading @Kimbers reference to ISA the "Intelligent" tag prompted an indignant snort, in the same way "Eco" does for all things greenwashed, and "Sport" does for such things as the cars we broadly prefer to drive day to day are not elevated Estate cars. Without exception I have found the hoisting of the "Intelligent" banner consistent with an opposite reality. With apologies to those here so employed I ponder the notion of marketing as pestilence.

• Like 1

We lurch from one "great new hope" to another.

Look at AI - if you read the hype, and believed it, you'd be a fool for nothing AI was already running the world, driving mahoosive profits for corporations and creating thousands of new jobs as it murders millions of jobs.

The reality is the business benefits are small right now. Most companies are struggling to understand the tech. The tech is still very much in its infancy 

However, the hedge funds. The Vcs. Private Equity and investors have thrown money at it, and they need to see a return. So they use their influence to drive media content. Create hype. And generally talk up the value of the market to ensure when they sell/float they get a mahoosive return.

It's all a game. The only difference is the name of the game, the players are often the same.

• Like 1

The small print.

16 hours ago, Kimbers said:

They don't physically slow the car they just warn you that its going over.

These actually cut the power to the drive and won't allow it. 

Yep mine does - fortunately it can be turned off.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

@oneshot if you read what the European Transport and Safety Council say "This is only 'to aid public acceptance at introduction' " It's pretty certain it will be mandatory with no off switch pretty soon.

• Like 1

Yup, @Kimbers you are correct.

And how soon before it is retrofitted on cars that can be updated?

My Evora will be fine, as will Exige, Elise etc. 

But, Emira, Eletre, and Emeya. Well, frankly you'll be stuffed lol....

The small print.

In the past, new regulations have rarely been retro active, so not affecting older cars. Only exception was rear seat belts I think.
But with updates being so easy, and seeing how they want ever more control, I fear you might be right and if possible older cars will have to be retrofitted. So our old bangers will become priceless! 😁 I can see myself driving away from recent Oodis and the like in an old Range Rover.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.