Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No more speeding tickets? The tech which is going to make you slow down - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

No more speeding tickets? The tech which is going to make you slow down

Today's Times reports:

From July 6 most new cars on sale in Britain will cajole drivers who are travelling faster than the speed limit to slow down.

Rather like the warning emitted if you forget to put on your seatbelt, there will be a beep, the steering wheel will vibrate or — if all else fails — the accelerator will automatically push back if you do not slow down.

Steve Gooding, director of the RAC Foundation, an independent research organisation, said the new intelligent speed assistance (ISA) system will represent “the beginning of the end of that world when people choose their cars on the basis of its top speed and the time it takes to accelerate from 0 to 60mph”.

Increasingly, he said, “the car is going to decide what you can and can’t do”.

New cars will be equipped with the ISA system, which is intended to reduce collisions by 30 per cent and deaths by 20 per cent, according to the European Transport Safety Council. There were 1,711 reported deaths in collisions on British roads in 2022.

• Sad 1

Cheers,

John W

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 2005 Alfa bleeps on the top display if you over 70 mph: "Speed limit exceeded. Slow down!"

I've never known this on any car, my brother said even his daughter's BMW M Sport X5 doesn't have it.

• Like 1

I also question if all this tech will actually make things safer. The less involved the driver needs to be, the higher the risk to get distracted and not being able to respond correctly in an emergency.

I'll happily stick to my old classics and enjoy them while I can. 😉 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

then go into Google Maps on your PC and check out your timeline.

there is the option of a) not taking one with you or b) having it turned off. At least with option b you could still use it if needed. 

particularly if you are going somewhere (or with someone) that others would frown on.

Good thing I keep using my dumb phone. 😄 

I'm very much aware the goal is to make us all passengers, preferably in a vehicle controlled by some government or other institution. But fully self driving vehicles on open roads are not for tomorrow. Yet there is more and more tech taking tasks away from the drivers. But they are still expected to intervene if and when necessary. I remember a mate wanting to demonstrate the auto park feature in his Merc some years ago. Halfway in the parking spot, the system failed and politely requested the driver to take over and continue. A good laugh for us, a big frown for the driver but no harm done. However, if you expect your car to maintain speed, lane, distance to other vehicles and what not and for some reason it can't, this can lead to a dangerous situation. And I'll bet most drivers will be occupied by a bunch of other things and will not have the situational awareness needed to take over in a split second.

@LotusLeftLotusRight very true, but a(nother) truth that cannot be spoken out loud. I'll add that a lot of the accidents are caused by people willfully taking risks or simply not caring. No amount of technology can prevent that, unless you really do take away all control and freedom. On the bright side, autonomous vehicles will need to be ridiculously fail safe, so us old skool drivers are free to cut them off whenever we want, as they'll brake and swerve to avoid an accident at any cost, giving us de facto priority. 😁

• Haha 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

So that's, @exeterjeep, how you've managed to keep it quiet for so long..... ;) 

14 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Here in the UK, road traffic accidents account for about 1700 deaths per year. That figure has remained fairly stable for years (ignoring a drop during the COVID period). We have a population of 67.3 million, so you have a 0.00002526 chance of being killed in an RTA each year. Is that really such a threat to humanity?

Compare that to 75,000 who died from smoking related illnesses.

Or the 7,000 who die from drugs.

Or over 6,000 who choose to commit suicide.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, jep said:

My favourite Government intervention on safety at the moment is huge digital signs at the side of the road, usually motorways, stating:

"KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD". 

Bonkers.

Justin 

Ferking daft! On one of our local highly travelled thoroughfares authorities placed on the verge at mid-point of a sweeping downhill curve an LED noticeboard which flashes what it regards to be the speed of the oncoming cars. What idiocy! We've all got bloody speedo's on board, wisely ignored while keeping eyes on the road until they've been drawn off task to read what is not helpful.

The world increasingly appears to operate under administration by crooks, idiots, and arseholes. Have none read Orwell??!!

6 minutes ago, drdoom said:

The world increasingly appears to operate under administration by crooks, idiots, and arseholes.

who increasingly want to CONTROL you. Welcome to the future, today.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

No need to turn your phone off or leave it at home. You have the ability to disable this feature:-

To turn your Location History on or off:
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app.
  2. Tap your profile picture or initial. Your Timeline. .
  3. Tap More. Settings and privacy.
  4. Tap Location History is off or Location History is on.
  5. Turn Location History on or off.

I did have it turned off for a period when I thought I didn't want Google snooping on where I was going, but after a few years decided to turn it back on again when I decided it was a useful feature to remind me of some the places I had been visiting.
Swings and roundabouts.

Turning that feature off has no effect on people who are able to trace your location by tracing which comms masts your phone is connected to.

• Thanks 1

In regard to seatbelts warning, if one is by now too ignorant and/or careless to buckle up then society has perhaps failed in educating on the necessity of belts. With restoration of my S2 I have chosen to tap off the "start" circuit for that lamp, too much fussing required to recommission that to Federal spec but sufficient to serve as reminder. Can't imagine anyone I know ever failing to buckle up as we're a nicely aged lot. 

The main issue for me is that wearing a seatbelt or not should be a personal choice. Very much like a helmet and protective suit on a motorbike, or helmet and hi-viz on a bicycle. There is little chance of you doing harm to someone else by not complying. You know the risk for yourself, you make your own choice. No need for any interference. How many powertools, from lawn mowers to pillar drills, have been modified to get rid of the safety features just to return them to being practical to use? Instead of trying to protect people from their own stupidity, make it clear they are responsible for their actions. Just one warning sticker needed: engage brain before pushing buttons. Leave the rest to Darwin. 😉 

If you're in the back with no seat belt you'll likely crush the skull of the person in front of you, in a head on crash, @Escape so yes, you could do a lot of harm by not complying in the back.

However, in general, I do agree with you. People should be allowed to make choices, and if by making those choices they get killed or seriously injured then so be it. After all, Darwin was right about a few things.

It's like the teenagers and young men who commit scooter and e-bike crimes. Personally, I think Police cars should have "pop up" bull bars on the front and just ram them. If they get injured or die, tough. A radical view no doubt, but they terrorise whole communities so why should we treat them with cotton gloves when they blatantly put themselves, and others, at high risk.

• Like 1

The small print.

You are right about back seat passengers, but that would make it the responsibility of the driver. Just like you have to make sure any cargo is securely strapped down.

As for the scooter gangs etc, are you thinking of something like this?

Rhino.webp

I loved that series as I kid, I'm sure you remember it as well. 😉 

• Like 1

To make it clear, to avoid a pile on by Karens and the thread disintegrating, I always have and always do wear a seatbelt whilst driving or as a passenger... and as far as it is any business of mine, I'd obviously recommend everyone else do so too! - my seatbelt probably saved my life when the careless bitch wrote off my first Elan, so I have first-hand practical experience of how useful they are.

My beef, as I mentioned, is with the damn thing beeping at me incessantly when literally doing maybe 2mph in my driveway shuffling vehicles around... ridiculous. My little daily runaround car got the same treatment from the wirecutters.

As to all this other government-spy-tech incoming in new cars, well more fool anyone daft enough to buy one of those cars in the first place... The tech will be there to lock you into your own car and drive you to the nearest plod-shop (or booster jab centre) if you've committed so much as a thought crime...

Darwinism indeed 🙂 

The problem with no seatbelts is that it does affect us all. After an accident, no matter whose fault it is, the rescue teams suffer the trauma of recovering the bloody and mangled up victims. The hospital teams and resources are blocked and wasted by needless damage repair. family members will be heartbroken by the injuries suffered by loved ones. The cost of all the treatment and ongoing support will be paid for by the tax payer (you and me).

Agree with you about the illegal motorbike youths who are probably riding about on nicked bikes.

• Like 1