Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Throttle response - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Throttle response

So one thing about the Evora( mine being S1 NA), I find annoying is the throttle response.  Just been out for a quick blast in my classic mini and when blipping the throttle in down shifts the throttle is instant, then I jump in the Evora , but I find very poor response from input to engine actually reving even in sports mode. Is there any way this can be adjusted to make it more instant ?? Or is this normal,  I seem to remember someone else asking the same question but can't find the post. Thanks. 

• Gold FFM

Presumably it just has a heavy fly wheel by default, to smooth the clutch uptake in Toyota's cars like the Camry. To get a quicker revving engine, you would have to lighten the bits that are moving in the engine...the flywheel probably being the easiest to do. The classic mini (presumably 998cc) will have a tiny amount of mass to 'rev' in comparison to the 6cylinder Toyota engine. 

A lighter flywheel will definitely make it more free revving (but there are downsides). Do you have a free flow air filter like a K&N or an induction kit? This will give you slightly better throttle response.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, NAC63 said:

Yeh you probably have a point, mini is 1380 lots of mods plus lightweight flywheel and clutch. Cheers.

Excellent, that must fly!

I loved my last Mini...I've had quite a few classic minis, but this was by far the nicest!

IMG_20140802_162518_Original.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to drive in a Mini, but it didn't look quite like that. Occasionally, it had to be put in second before it would go into first and that happened on my test, not a problem as I passed anyway.

• Like 1

LOL. The first mini I drove, a very long time ago, was a pitta to get in to reverse and had no functional handbrake, I regularly had to drive up Hollywell Hill to the traffic lights, in rush hour traffic amongst the gravel trucks etc. Very early lesson in clutch control. 😃

My first car was a 1975 Imp. I loved and cherished that car. I nearly died in it when I miscalculated an overtaking manoeuvre, only to be saved by the additional 5 bhp or so of the twin carbs I had recently fitted, which got me past the car I was trying to pass a split second before I would have hit an oncoming car head on. It was the polar opposite of the Mini: rear engine, rear wheel drive vs. front engine, front wheel drive. There was intense rivalry between the two models. You either liked one or the other, never both!

My brother had a 1979 Mini 1275GT. I would occasionally drive it, but the Mini and I both knew we were uncomfortable in each other’s presence. Seemingly every time I drove it something would go wrong. Even freakish events like following an HGV in driving rain when suddenly the windscreen exploded due to a flying piece of grit, or parking at my school only to come back to the car a few minutes later and see it had rolled across the quadrangle and into the steps of the dining hall. It hated me and I hated it. I had the last laugh though: when my brother sold it, the new owner cut its head off to make a nasty home brew cabriolet. It soon failed MOT thereafter and was scrapped.

• Like 1

Proper grounding in driving right there.  My mum had a Singer Chamois (posh imp) which I drove while on L plates. Passed my test and then managed to write off the Chamois on a late January evening icy road up near Luton Hoo. Managed to stop it careering off to far but it drove itself up the roots of a rather large tree and flipped over.  My mum always wanted an estate to take her dogs around, so I replaced it with A Husky (the car) which pleased her. I obviously preferred the Chamois.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Just FYI. I just had a new throttle body fitted as the old one had started playing up. It feels more responsive now. Might be worth at least giving the current one on your car a clean to see if it helps.

• Like 1