Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you 'Shake your Head' today? - Page 57 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you 'Shake your Head' today?

ramjet

I never mentioned private land although I don't agree with dvla selling my information full stop. It's the legitimate car parks making it difficult to pay ,like stations and supermarkets and hospitals.

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Local copper steals...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c74l03gglglo

and still getting paid?....

A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall police has confirmed that Spence remains suspended

Spotted a contractor up to something by the road near to our house this morning. Just popped out again in the car and it’s now a fully functioning advisory speed camera with display. I have no idea why they wasted tax payers’ money on it. It’s not a location you can go much faster than 30mph anyway, because there is a 90 degree bend about 50 yards down the road. There are no schools, shops, pedestrian crossings, etc. anywhere along that road. I have lived here nearly 19 years and never known of any accidents in that area. Sure some idiots drive too fast to impress their mates, but they aren’t going to be influenced to slow down by such a device. They’ll probably compete with their geezer friends to see who can record the highest speed. To be honest I cannot think of a more pointless place to locate such a device.

That's often a Parish Council initiative and I seem to recall they cost about £8k. Pop the clerk an email asking, or check the minutes to see if it's been discussed and agreed. Otherwise it's Highways. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

If it is anything like our village, as Bibs says, it will be a Parish council request due to speeding traffic.

Highways then have to approve it and stipulate where it will be sighted. Because the flashing sign records information on the speeds that traffic are doing when it triggers Highways will want to sight it away from the major spots where speeding is possible to one where speeding is near impossible so that they can counter any requests to do anything else.

We have exactly the same scenario, the flashing speed limit sign (& recorder) is positioned in the middle of a double bend. A request to Highways to try to reduce the amount of speeding traffic on the long straight section, a particular problem with HGVs, was met with “the data doesn’t suggest that speeding is a problem and there have been no fatalities in the village so there can’t be a problem.”

This is the mentality of the civil servants in charge of our roads

The put ATC's in our village and it was shown that 95% of the traffic was under the threshold for prosecution. One motorist was almost 3 times the limit however :whistle:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1l5y5nge31o

what on earth is going on with children these days. yesterday a 12 year old involved in rioting hadto have his case adjourned because his mum had gone on holiday to Ibizia

Worse than that @pete, 5 kids (aged 12-14) have been charged with murder after attacking an 81 year old man in a park.

WTF?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Worse than that @pete, 5 kids (aged 12-14) have been charged with murder after attacking an 81 year old man in a park.

WTF?

I see the police have referred themselves due to previous contact with the chap - but does not say the reason. Maybe he had had trouble with this group of kids before, reported them and the police never got round to / could not be bothered having a look into it?

Possibly @exeterjeep. However, WTF are kids this young doing attacking an 80 year old?  Where were their parents? What parenting have they been doing? I really do believe that in cases like this the parents need to be fully investigated too.

I've just seen this mindless vandalism too. What on earth is going on with youngsters today who think they can just destroy stuff like this? They need to be caught. punished and made to work at thye charities AND PAY compensation to the charities...  WTAF is going on these days? At least the Police have issued images without blurring the phases. Someone knows who these three absolute fooking scrotes and scumbags are, and needs to "dob" them in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2kj8lxzvxeo

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

WTF?

That was the report I posted from the bbc

Apologies, I thought it was the riot kid story.

The small print.

4 hours ago, pete said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1l5y5nge31o

what on earth is going on with children these days. yesterday a 12 year old involved in rioting hadto have his case adjourned because his mum had gone on holiday to Ibizia

Until they start making parents jointly responsible for their kids actions it will only get worse.

Many parents just can’t be arsed with their kids & as long as they are out of sight & sound that’s ok by them.
All of these video games they play about killing people surely can’t help & kids cartoon series these days are all about fighting. We live n a demented society!

6 hours ago, PaulCP said:

Until they start making parents jointly responsible for their kids actions it will only get worse.

The travelling scamp communities have been exploiting that for many years.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The problem is @PaulCP the kids are not held to account, so the parents never will be either.

I was walking through a district of Dundee on Monday. Every single bus shelter I walked passed had had every single sheet of glass smashed. About 12 bus stops so around 50 large toughened glass panels. I'd suggest around £75k of damage to restore, clean up, etc. 

I absolutely guarantee that the scrotes who did this were kids, and videos will be on social media but the shits, or their parents will not be held to account.

The parents should be forced to pay every penny back through salary or benefits deductions, and the kids should be forced to wear orange jumpsuits with the word "scrote" emblazoned on the back and made to clean up litter, fog shit, gum, graffiti etc for 16 hours, every weekend for 4 months. If they miss an 8 hour Saturday or Sunday shift it just gets added on. If they refuse to work it's a tag and curfew from 1800 to 0730 weekdays and weekends. If they break that they got locked up for a month. 

If we want a better, safer, cleaner society then we need to stop molly coddling and making excuses for scrotes.

I can hear them screaming, "What about our human rights?" 

Margate Exotics.

Good point @Chillidoggy, but we should scream back at them "what about OUR human rights?" Our rights to live in a society free of fear, aggression, vandalism, etc?

We need to get to the tipping point were we say fook this, the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. We have shifted the balance far, far to far to considering an individual's rights to do whatever they like are more important than the the collective rights.

• Like 2

The small print.

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” by Kelly Clarkson.

What a load of absolute cobblers. Try telling that to my mate who got knocked off his motorbike and has spent the last 40 years in a wheelchair.

Margate Exotics.

So for years I have been a member of the Shell Go loyalty card scheme. We have two Shell filling stations nearby and I have always had V-Power thirsty fun cars, as well as daily drivers. A couple of years ago, they stopped posting out money-off fuel vouchers and special offers and took the whole thing on line. Since then I have had my card scanned on every visit. Anyway I filled up today and thought I had better check my account to see what I had earned during those years. Well blow me if all those hundreds of pounds of fuel purchases has earned me nothing more than one free Mars bar. Why do they even bother?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

So for years I have been a member of the Shell Go loyalty card scheme. We have two Shell filling stations nearby and I have always had V-Power thirsty fun cars, as well as daily drivers. A couple of years ago, they stopped posting out money-off fuel vouchers and special offers and took the whole thing on line. Since then I have had my card scanned on every visit. Anyway I filled up today and thought I had better check my account to see what I had earned during those years. Well blow me if all those hundreds of pounds of fuel purchases has earned me nothing more than one free Mars bar. Why do they even bother?

Previously the Loyalty Scheme worked on how much you spent on fuel with a bonus for V-Power. Therefore filling up once every week or two or three still got you your points for discounted fuel and even when I got just £3 or so it still felt like you were getting something back.
Then they changed it to the number of visits to the fuel station, 10 visits earning you a fuel discount. This, I read in the Shell to station owners announcement, was to encourage people to visit regularly to top up with fuel and then buy extras like coffee and food etc, with the aim or promise that revenue would rise.
Well it didn't work with me as I like to fill up and visit the fuel station as little as I have to and just buy the fuel and since the change have not received any discounts at all.
In fact all it made me do is not worry which brand station I visit these days, although I seem to be favouring BP at the moment, and when I do use Shell I don't offer my card for scanning.