Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 17 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

• Gold FFM

Only got round to viewing Avatar today. Good, but not sure I could do it again.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Was the antipodean version the one with Capt Australia, Michael? :sofa:

"Only got round to viewing Avatar today."

Ian, have you seen Star Wars yet? It's really good. :lol:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

Ian, have you seen Star Wars yet? It's really good. :lol:

Oi Mr Heath, we are very busy people over this side of the pond! - Gone with the Wind on agenda next weekend!!!

Apparently colour TV might catch on soon lol

:D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Trust him. Loved it! Good entertainment, great effects, many questions answered and lots more posed. Room for at least one more movie to bridge the gap. A thought-provoking movie, rather than what people might expect of a prequel associated with Alien.

I'm with you on this Sparky. Saw it late Sunday evening and was impressed, as were my wife and daughter (who hadn't realised it was being touted as an Alien prequel but thoroughly enjoyed it). Scott has answered some of the Alien questions, especially in the final 10 minutes, whilst posing others - good chance of a sequel no doubt.

Agree it did seem a bit disjointed in places though and I look forward to the Directors Cut. Scott had to reduce the length and edit some scenes to achieve the 15 rating. There is a a Weyland back story for instance that has him as a young man, with Guy Pierce sans prosthetics. And hopefully more stuff not for the sqweamish....

That's interesting I was just reading the IMDB trivia which said:

"Ridley Scott stated that he was filming "the most aggressive film [he] could" by not caring about MPAA ratings, having support for such bold movement from 20th Century Fox CEO Tom Rothman, who addressed "Alien" fans by saying that he was "very aware of their concern", and that "they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way. So if that means that the film is R, then it'll be an R. If it's PG-13, then it'll be a PG-13, but it will not be compromised." Scott shot the film with both adult-only R and more accessible PG-13 film ratings in mind, allowing the more adult content to be cut if necessary without harming the overall presentation, given the case it was asked to be cut down. Eventually, the film was rated "R for Sci-Fi violence including some intense images, and brief language", and it was released without any demanded cuts."

We just got back from seeing Prometheus tonight and I am very disapointed to say the least. I found it tedious, predictable with quite a few plot holes/questions. I don't think it answered a single question about later Alien films (not that I had any really!) and left me wanting my £9.50 back!

"...and left me wanting my £9.50 back!"

Uh oh. Sounds like I better exercise the "stop-loss option" and go to the matinee showing, just in case.

Awaiting the Bibster's take...

Prometheus - excellent addition to what looks like it may turn out to be a septiligy - as long as Ridley Scott is above ground!

Thought Rapace was excellent (was just as good as in the original Dragon Tattoo trilogy which I'd highly reccomend)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Just watched 127 Hours. The story of Aron Ralston.

Makes your skin crawl.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Watched Safe House. Very very good after a few beers and a must for action fans. Not totally issue free as the characters could have been better developed and plot was a little standard fare but Denzel Washington was excellent as always and the action was non stop!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Watched Promethus, was ok, but not the great film it has been portrayed as, more holes in it than the Titanic.

In some parts I thought I was watching "Carry on Alien" It is interesting what you have written Laura, as Charlize Theron stated in an interview quite strongly that Promethus is not an Alien Prequel it is according (to her) a stand alone film. even though most people are saying its a prequel

Anyone seen the Ides of March? that is a good film.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Wot he sed.... :up:

More "visceral" than the U.S. version (which was still quite good in its own right).

Can't make up my mind about Prometheus, though. Mostly enjoyed it, and it kept the noggin churning at a good clip, but Mr Scott didn't quite achieve 10 tenths in the plot department. The visuals/special effects and sets were up to par at least. A reliable diversion from day to day banal reality. And isn't that what "sci-fi" is all about?

I recently found that by going to the top floor balcony of a certain public building nearby , I inadvertantly got a very good view of Ridley Scott`s back garden-at least they told me it was his. It`s very nice and well kept but in fairness to Mr. Scott`s privacy I should not say any more.

• 2 weeks later...

How was the ventilation, Bibs? <_<

cryp·tic/ˈkriptik/

Adjective:

• Having a meaning that is mysterious or obscure.

• Having difficult clues that indicate the solutions indirectly.

ventilate (v.) dictionary.gif mid-15c., "to blow away something" (of wind), from L. ventilatus, pp. of ventilare "to brandish, toss in the air, winnow, fan, agitate, set in motion," from ventulus "a breeze," dim. of ventus "wind" (see wind (n.1)). Original notion is of cleaning grain by tossing it in the air and letting the wind blow away the chaff. Meaning "supply a room with fresh air" first recorded 1660s (implied in ventilation). Slang sense of "to shoot" (someone) is recorded from 1875. Related: Ventilated; ventilating.

in bad taste and in poor taste

rude; vulgar; obscene. Mrs. Franklin felt that your joke was in bad taste. We found the play to be in poor taste, so we walked out in the middle of the second act.

See also: bad, taste

sometimes engaged in by individuals suffering from inadequate sleep on previous evening

On a much lighter note, the wife and I watched Salmon Fishing in The Yemen (dvd rental) recently. A 15 on a 1 to 10 scale. Trust me.