Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No more Europa - Elise / Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No more Europa

Bibs

I'm sure everyone will be sad but Lotus are concentrating their efforts elsewhere. Perhaps the same people who derided the car when it first came out before having a go.

I liked it, perhaps not a true Lotus with pure Lotus DNA and poorly pitched at the market but it was fun to drive.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Just heard about this. It's a shame but perhaps inevitable as it only ever sold in tiny numbers. If you've got one, look after it as it's future classic.

It could be argued that it was more a Lotus than the Elise simply due to the engine design.

• Gold FFM

Still they're going to be rare and collectable.

Totally agree. I also liked them and enjoyed a sprited drive on the 1st LEF Factory visit.

Been out 4 years and still only seen 1 on the road though.

Not all that unexpected really.

(and hopefully more resources directed at new you know what)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

So the trim shop and the Europa.

Whats next for the chop? is there anything obvious that could be axed or sold off?

I assume Elise/Exige/Evora are safe, i don't know much about the 2eleven but it think that does well too, what about the classic team lotus stuff? is that independent or factory owned? What about the design studio? The factory workshop facility? The Europa would have been fighting for a place in the future Elise/Exige/Evora/Esprit lineup so i guess thats not a suprise, but i think we will see more stuff axed or flogged off before he's finished. For example, whats the legal manufacturer limit on parts supply now? Will bits for the now 10 year old S1 elise start to vanish? What are the areas of money saving that will affect us (old lotus owners) the most?

You have to wonder...

The way I see it is that the road tests were lukewarm. The market thought it was too close to the Elise as a car and too close to the Boxster in price. Many didn't like the styling. Sales targets were very modest and may not have met even those. I suspect it was brought out to use up a load of VX 220 power trains amd has done that so it may be that it just couldn't justified anymore.

Is there any new legislatoin coming in which would need it to be re-homologated/upgraded to meet? That would be another killer.

While many here may see Danny as a hatchet man but Proton won't keep putting money into our favourite car company for ever. It will have to stand on its own peformance in generating profit. I see this as more of a step to keeping the company going rather than a negative thing.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Not suprising, they've probably sold more Evoras than Europas !

A drivers car for sure, but it just didn't ever seem to fit in with the crowd.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I really like them, but could never figure out who Lotus thought the market was.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Wasn't it originally designed for the Far East market then that project was canned so it was repurposed to be the Europa as it was basically finished?

I didn't have a problem with it and the styling is always in the eye of the beholder but I agree it wasn't sure what it was trying to be.

As for the 211 I'm pretty sure thats coming to an end now too.

We're (she's) actually looking to buy one, the news they are going to be rare will probably stall any drop in price as well.

aa_lotus_europa_S_black.jpg

(I still think they should have used the Elise lights, we'll have to chop mine (hers) up I think...

Edited by Jonathan

I drove one at the first LEF factory day, and enjoyed the drive.

Sue and me looked at a couple of Europa's for sale when looking at the Audi R8 and a Lambo (long story on rejecting these 2) before going for the Exige Cup, now waiting for the Esprit replacement (and 1 of the reasons for rejecting R8 and Lambo).

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Surprised it lasted this long considering the reception it received. Doesn't matter how dynamically brilliant it is, it could do 150mph and 50mpg, if it doesn't look right, or people don't "get it", it won't sell. Irrelevant obviously, but would much rather have one of these.

My link

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The Europa was a nice looking car but did not really live up to the namesake! The basic design was ok but some bits were off and drove people away from it! The headlights and taillights were poorly designed in my opinion. I once saw one in the flesh and if looked and felt really nice! My biggest problem with it was that it was and still is underpowered, 225bhp, when the Ecotec could have delivered a whole lot more but Lotus did not even try! It was a gap filler to keep us waiting for the Evora!

As said the original car was badged a proton when it first appeared in autocar? I think it was that mag anyways.

I like it especially with the upgraded interior. I'd look at one over an Elise I think.

Saw one driving around locally the other day which supprised me a little!

Chunky Lover

Guest surferphil

I loved the idea of the car when it was being talked about before launch. But it fell short of the mark in my opinion, I really wanted it to be like the M100, comfortable and refined. I suppose the Evora has really hit the nail on the head with that one. Liked the back end but not the front, would not have taken much to look good but the price was 10k over the Elise wasn't it?

Sad it's going though, anyone know how many Lotus built?

Unfortunately they got tar'ed with the brush they created for themselves with the early model and their marketing of it. I know MJK came in just after it's launch and immediately ordered a redesign of parts and mechanicals. The result was the SE and it's "Second coming". I read a road test somewhere that said if the newer model had been the launch model it would have been so much better recieved.

That said, it was always too similar to the Elise to sell well. But like you've all said I do belive it will be a classic. One of those cars that Lotus enthusiasts will say "Why did they ever stop making these?"

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I have never seen one on the roads, but I think its a great looking car and agree its rarity will make it a classic. Values always seem to have been quite strong on them though?

The other major thing that killed any chances of it selling imo - Richard flaming Hammond.

If he handnt have binned that jet car TG would have run that season and had the Europa on - Clarkson would have given it a typically mild-good british review and it would have reached more audience.

Importantly it would ahve gone round the track and set (possibly) a fairly good time.

The other thing though which still has a thorn (imo) in new Lotus' side is the Esprit.

When the Europa was out and even now you can still buy a later V8 for the less or similar money - the 2 dont compare and I bet you more people looking for a Lotus to buy would have gone one way or the other (Elise).

Either way I doubt there were too many great shakes when it got binned, it wasn't a new build so most of the ground work was done on the Elise

Woohoo! (as Homer Simpson would say) - at last I wil own a rare classic!

Shame to see it go. I ran a S1 Elise for 9 years and 90k miles, and had a look at the Europa and really liked it, especially when they brought out the upgraded interior option.

I agree with the previous posts about the launch/positioning being a bit off beam, plus the launch photos did it no favours - it is much prettier in the metal.

I've been as far as central Italy in mine, all over the UK, done the Beaujolais Run in it 3 times and I love it - just the right blend of performance and practicality.

Guest surferphil

Kimbers said:

"Why did they ever stop making these?"

That's what I thought about the Esprit, Elan and M100.

If Lotus want a proper virtual show room on their website... I'd love to do it! Awesome cars, just inspirational! :respect:

Sad to see it go, but not really surprised.

I've had mine one month now, and absolutely love.

I got it at a great price, the dealer just wanted to move it, so maybe I bought it at the right time?

I've had a magic couple of runs with it already - for any Kiwi's out there, I played on the Parapara's and Western route round Lake Taupo last weekend and couldn't believe the handling - point to point it's really quick

It'll keep me smiling for a while.

Cheers

Steve

Yes:

Milltek Exhaust, Sachs Race Suspension, Toyo T1R Tyre 215/245, Highflow Plenum (Courtenay), short charge air hose (alluminium), Carbon Airbox with short intake, blow off valve (Bailey DV26-D), Denso Spark Plugs IK22, Thermostat (opens at 82 C !!!), Wastegate diaphragm Eliminator (I do not know if it is the right word :-) Powerflex engine mounts.

• Like 1