Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear - New Series - Page 25 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear - New Series

Just signed the petition, smooth process, link as above. Includes a space for comment. Mine to the effect that he represents the voice of a large part of UK society that generally the BBC bans from expression. (Over 100,000 signed now.)

Yes, he may give offence on occasion, but so what? I could readily be offended many times a week at BBC output. For example, the filthy phrase used in a casual, inconsequential aside (but strangely, very clearly spoken!) by a minor character in a late episode of the generally excellent Wolf Hall. Identical meaning could have been given by euphemisms.  Writing it here would - rightly - result in an immediate ban.

Edited by mdavies
  • Like 1

Looks like his inner 14-year-old comes out when the cameras have stopped rolling as well. Whether you find him funny or offensive, it's a whole 'nuther ball game when he assaults someone. Think the BBC wants to send him abroad to film another segment after that?

I wonder if this has anything to do with Sniff Petrol not being updated this week?

Firstly, everyone who knows him says he's not a fighter. Secondly, he "threw a punch" no one has said about in defence, whether it connected, if he was provoked etc. Thirdly, what a crock of shit cancelling the show for the rest of the season. Fourthly, whether you like him or not he makes the show. Without him it won't last and the banter and relationships that are between the 3 wouldn't be there.

Lastly, no one has mentioned. This show is worth £670 million to the BBC in global TV rights. If they cancel it for anything like this then they would not only be crazy but it would be the worlds worst business decision. As well as the fact that he could then quite easily go to ITV, Ch4, 5 or SKY and set up a similar show.

For me this is driven by the PC mob who have had it in for Clarkson for ages because he says what he thinks (and sometimes what he doesn't think just because he is mocking himself and peoples OTT attitudes, like the One show "All Public servants should be shot" comment. He said during and after the show that "Of course I didn't mean it! We were talking about me making bad comments and I said it as a joke and an example"

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Even if it is or isn't a PR stunt, I can't see the BBC letting him go.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I say this as someone who believes that there is such a thing as "political correctness" (aka a sensible policy of not trying to offend people gratuitously)- but all too often attempts at enforcing it degenerate into token squabblings and a chance for people to feel smug (the classic British Middle-Class disease) , leaving the goalmouth wide open for Clarkson to punt populist balls into it. Pun intended... 

I wish all our self-appointed guardians of morality fomentinmg controversy just so they can pay the mortgage, would be mature enough to just ignore Clarkson and leave him to get on with what he does. He has an internal employment issue, that`s about it.   He`s just a highly -paid entertainer eith all that implies and would be the last to pretend (from the very numerous things he`s said) that he`s a politician.

Like the proverbial Country of the The Blind where the One -Eyed Man is King, His antics (like Boris Johnson (basically another journalist) and Russell Brand) merely stand out to be commented on because most British politicians are some of the most spineless to be found anywhere in the world and (as you may have  noticed) refuse to answer "yes" or "no" to any question asked !   

But the people who complain about Clarkson use it as an excuse because they don't like him or his views. There is a petition to keep him banned and the headline phrase is "He is a Lad, Loutish and a Boor".

And the most vocal "PC brigade" are a very few people who just want everyone else to conform to their ideals. The phrase "Those who shout loudest" couldn't be more pertinent.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Exactly my point. Personally I don`t see eye to eye with "Lads, Louts and Boors" - I would include Clarkson as such - but sorry,  grow up and deal with it, you meet them every day (especially on the roads with far worse potential consequences)- its just not important enough or appropriate for preaching and the kind of middle-class sanctimoniousness that is usually a substitute for actually doing anything about anything.        

Erm......have we just seen eye to eye again?

Jeez. Am I turning to the dark side?

Don`t worry Tony, I still wear sandals, eat muesli (bars), hug trees (hopefully not whilst in the car) and generally Do Good !   ;):blush:

I suppose there`s some old saying to cover it but it approximates to "whatever people say is just not as important as what they do... "

I wear boots, eat Burgers, cut down tree's and generally do what I want.

All is well in the world :P

• Like 2

While I kind of like Jay's programmes, I don't see him as a successor to Clarksson. Firstly he don't have that humour, don't really drive that much, or at least very slow, and don't paint a car programme with all kinds of other stuff, such as Clarksson does.

Chris Evans is so tiresome to Watch with his eternal slide it or leave it style. Sigh!

No substitute it seems.

So, terminate the programme, or wait, you vould hire Clarksson.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

ITV,  Channel 4 and Sky are circling, chequebooks in hand.....if Piers "We don`t Hack your Phone " Morgan and Alistair "dodgy dossier " Campbell can remain light-hearted dispensers of bonhomie on our screens, JC has no worries whatsoever.

(Come to think of it the only thing I positively admire Jezza for is for his willing to have erm...." contretemps" with Piers Morgan. That action showed taste and discretion).

• Like 1

That's funny you mention 5th gear as I was going to say that the new series has actually started.  The 2nd episode was on last night, I had no idea until someone told me Wednesday.

Its now on the History channel!!!!   Its not big enough for Discover now it seems.  Tiif, VBH and Jonny are still there but Plato seems to have left/been dropped.

Everyone is saying what a better car programe FG is, but clearly the viewing figure don't back that up as it slides further down the channel pecking order.

I don't think anyone could replace Clarkson at TG.  If JC went  elsewhere the other two should go with him.

That's funny you mention 5th gear as I was going to say that the new series has actually started. The 2nd episode was on last night, I had no idea until someone told me Wednesday.

Its now on the History channel!!!! Its not big enough for Discover now it seems. Tiif, VBH and Jonny are still there but Plato seems to have left/been dropped.

Everyone is saying what a better car programe FG is, but clearly the viewing figure don't back that up as it slides further down the channel pecking order.

I don't think anyone could replace Clarkson at TG. If JC went elsewhere the other two should go with him.

IMHO there isn't room for two Top Gear type programs which is why Fifth Gear has had to take the boring job of actually reviewing cars most people might have a chance of driving. This doesn't make for sexy telly though.

If Fifth Gear invested in a few fireworks, a bucket load of tinsel and some moody gradient filters for their cameras, they could make their famous crash tests a load more fun. What happens when a car transporter full of new clown cars collides with a full Calor gas lorry for example...

And isn't Plato off doing the BTTC?

Edited by Gravel

So, is Clarkson to leave BBC and Topgear? From reading British news, it may seem so at the moment.

If that happens, I think it's the deadly blow to the programme. As a watcher, I can only say that if that happens, I think BBC will Loose hundreds of millions of Pounds and a very long line of executives at the BBC will either have a very red face, or get sacked because of their doings. After all, it's not exactly the first time BBC executives handles a matter in a bad way.

In the same time, one must hope, that it'll be a case of Phoenix, so a new fresh programme, hopefully from another channel other than BBC, may arise.

On the other hand, if BBC's investigation shows a result that Clarkson can move on with the programme, it seems at the moment from his own sayings, that he may not want to continue. After all, a connection between him and BBC is broken, maybe for good.

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.

Now, we can continue with boring reviews of nissan micra's and ford ka's, where we will be told, how nice it is to engage it's new doorhandle even in the rain, or that there is now a socket for connecting ones media Electronics in the rear compartment, so the user can enjoy that while being stuck in a 15 mile long traffic jam at the M6. So everyone can get on with their home knitting, and we the sportscar fans, can look back at the old programmes only.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

So Clarkson reported himself..another publicity stunt or he is just bored / a flamboyant way out ? Not like he needs to work really so I guess doesn't care either way.

Just enjoy the ride and see how it plays out. As always enjoy the entertainment but take don't believe anything

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

It's been suggested on my FB thread that this guy should replace JC. You're left your fog lights on, there's no fog!  :lol: It would be funny.

16847647111_1c4672bce2_o.jpg

I can't see why the programme can't go on with Hammond and May as the main anchors and they do like 'Have I got News For You', have a guest presenter every week.

Apple have globally refunded subscribers money for the BBC Top Gear show saying that the season has prematurely finished early.

So that's pretty much it.

game-over.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017