Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
finally got around to removing the anti roll bar - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

finally got around to removing the anti roll bar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Not repairable Peter. Sorry.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Well I had better replace it then. some guys I know who run some powerful stuff had said that it was an easy repair .

The roll bar was not cut off it snapped the last time my wife took it shopping as she said that she hit a speed bump and on the next one it felt like something was dragging over it.

It's Oogies turn to boogie

What they said, welding will hold it together but will change the hardness of the bar at that point.

Usually welds are harder so it'll just snap again. If you sleeve it it'll change the properties even more.

Replace it :)

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Gold FFM

Peter,

If you were to talk to a metallurgist, they will tell you outright that welding will quite definitely change the molecular structure of the steel. It will cease to function correctly as it was designed and initially fabricated. It is possible to do, but the process would require preheating, welding, then heat treating and testing to get it close to what it was and even then there would be no guarantees.

The process would cost more than a new one. If you did repair it and it snapped again, it could cause more damage next time than just dragging along the ground.

You were lucky.

Buy a new one mate. :yes:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

You should find out the torsional stillness, and have one made, I'd recommend a 12-15% increase in torsional stiffness over the original. Run it round for a bit, check it out into low speed turns under brakes, and then post the results on the forum. :yes:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

hello Christopher. well im pretty sure it was in a multi storey, i remember the conversation:- that stupid car of yours always catches on the speed bumps in the car park

my reply:- well dont park it there (i like the way the car is stupid and not the driver for taking it back into a car park where it catches.

although it may have been a shopping trolley.

so another item on the list. car is very rusty on the front end so i will begin the cleaning tonight. so when i eventually get the front shocks its all nice and clean.

anyone know the best way of getting the anti roll bar bushes out (as i already have new) parts manual shows a couple of circlips but im betting its not that easy.

I used to make my own bars. I'd got a collection of different diameter bars from the wreckers, heat straighten them and weld flat arms on the ends. They would have provision for adjusting the stiffness.

Worked out being a lot cheaper than what the suspension gurus wanted to sell me. Never had a failure and was surprised how well they worked on the track. Moly tubing can also be used.

DanR

How about a 20% increase on the front one and then make up an adjustable rear one to adjust any understeer.

Then of course you could post drawing and how to, for the forum.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

With regards to removing the bushes in the arms, remove the circlips, and if your going to use a press to remove or install new ones be very carefull not to apply too much pressure as the arm can bend easily in this situation...i used a hack saw blade to cut from the centre hole outwards first to help relieve the pressure as they will no doubt have welded themselves in over time! Do this either on one side or twice, and it should come out easily then..or at least without as much force..good look! Darren

• 1 month later...

well i managed to source a used antiroll bar. in ealy good condition (most of the original paint still on it and very little rust) i could install it as is but im going to strip and recoat it.

cost was £65.

if anyone is looking for an antiroll bar i know that southwest lotus have one in stock that is 2nd hand for £77 plus v.a.t. and delivery.

well i have been getting the old antiroll bar bushes off the car ready for the new ones, i managed to remove both of the rear circlips but the fronts have seized solid, so i drilled around steel sleeve in the bush into the rubber and using a large screwdriver pryed the center out. then using a long slim chisel started to bash the bush into its self (as the outer edge is curved), after about 20 mins the outer sleeve gave way (10 mins on each side).

would have been easier with the car in the air but do-able on the floor and with minimal tools.

just one more side to go.

913938ec.jpg

How are you planning on getting the new ones in? I thought they needed a meaty press?

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

no problem i will get you some pics,

well last bush out. a bit harder than the drivers side took a bit more hammering, if the circlip holes are shot one way of getting them out (as i got the bush out by hitting it from the back against the circlip then attacking it from the front and it will soon begin to move away from the circlip and come out) using a long chisel a hard smack will split the circlip and it should fall out.

just need to give it a good clean grease and get the bush tool ready, once the new ones are in i will be moving on to the front suspension. but tomorrow i will be doing the rear access panel and glassing the undertray up.