Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone know this car? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone know this car?

islandbloke

I've been trying to convince a petrolhead chum to set fire to his TVR and buy a sorted Esprit for years - he's found this one at Pistonheads: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3954721.htm

Some typos in the description (224bhp??) but it's the 11 previous owners that would put me off. I wondered if it was 'known' to any of us...could be a corker for all I know.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

264 bhp is correct...well with regards to the 11 owners, id be wanting ti know how long each owned it for...mine is a 95 s4 with 3 owners...but that might be a lucky find! If each owner had owned it for a short period, id be concearned that its because they couldnt afford the proper upkeep of the car and so proper maintenance has been infrequent. I know it says full history. However I wouldnt believe it until I saw it myself. For example the first esprit I went to see had a full comprehensive history...however there was a 7 year gap in it, admittedly it had covered only one or two thousand miles in that time but there was no reason or explanation as to where or what had been happening in that time.

On the other flip side, mine came with meticulous dealer only history regardless of mileage everything was done as it should.however, I stripped and rebuilt it myself nut and bolt and corrected many bodges....by the main dealer. So it doesnt always mean what it should in my opinion. However, on the whole mine did still turn out to be a great example.

So, if you know your way round the esprit well, check it thoroughly and dont believe the hype as always! There are always others available....

Ps, the indicator and light stalks are aftermarket as is the gear knob, and heater controls. Im always dubious of cars that have been tarted around with, unless you know who yas done it. I know these are silly things, but I prefer to see a history of money spent where it matters than on shiney stick on bits... A wise phrase is " not all that shines is good"...

Why would 11 owners put you off? It could have had 1 owner and not have been looked after and be absolute rubbish?

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Yes thats true, but to change hands at say, the first owner owns it for 2 or3 years..the next the same..then that leaves everyone else at a year ownership each. Im not saying it is a problem, just could be if it hasnt been looked after correctly. As its well known these cars cab cost its value in repairs and beyond if not correctly cherished...

Derek, good info there thanks..definately one to look over thoroughly. For the right money it could be sound, even with some immediate refurb...but negotiation is paramount...whilst the value of the esprit is climbing each year.you should still research and pay proper money for what is offered.

Could also have lots of owners showing due to private plate swaps.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Could also have lots of owners showing due to private plate swaps.

eh? Swapping plates doesn't change ownership numbers...or at least never has on any of mine.

I dont think you can get away from the idea that 11 owners suggests a lack of love for this car by a fair few of them at least.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

That's my view Mike - I'm surprised that Paul doesn't think it's a problem. Sure, a single previous owner could have been Hertz or Trackdaze-R-Us, but 11 feels somewhat excessive to me and indicative of a possibly problem car.

Derek - your links are fantastic - thanks so much, I've forwarded them to my pal.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hmmmm. But what if the last owner spent a fortune on it?

Why are so many Esprits around 70,000 miles I ask myself!

But it does look nice. Best way is view it and check it over, non?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Buy on condition not the number of owners, they may have had reasons for just short ownership, just for the summer, swapped in the family etc

As Kimbers has said the last owner may have spent a fortune on it, it looks a nice car.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think the problem is to be an Esprit owner you need to be committed to the cause. I think a lot of new owners have them for a year, realise they are expensive to run after a big bill, get scared and sell them.

I know if I wasnt committed I probably would have sold mine already and it's only been in the country 2 weeks.

Edited by Lex Templar

I think the problem is to be an Esprit owner you need to be committed to the cause. I think a lot of new owners have them for a year, realise they are expensive to run after a big bill, get scared and sell them.

Also, for some a year is enough. They've owned a supercar, got the T shirt (& pictures) and are ready to move on & get a life & mate etc. Not everyone is as stupid as us. :lol:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Mine I believe has 13 owners! but previous one to me had it for a decade and fixed all the bodges the previous ones had accumulated (other than the dodgy engine)... It is now in good condition following quite a lot of expense on my part as well, so I think as long as it has been looked after properly (look over with fine tooth comb) then it should be ok...

Also, for some a year is enough. They've owned a supercar, got the T shirt (& pictures) and are ready to move on & get a life & mate etc. Not everyone is as stupid as us. :lol:

Exactly, supercar Russian Roulette. It's long term owners like us that will find the full chamber eventually....

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

And when the full chamber clicks round, all our troubles will fade away. :hrhr:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Mine has scared me plenty, but I always prevail and just can't bear to part with it even though I know that it's keeping me from contributing to my retirement funds.

As for owners I know that I'm at least the third. The DPO had it from 1989 to late 2010, but that stretch doesn't necessarily reflect commitment, given the amount of neglected/bodged things I've straightened out.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

My point Stu was that it is relative until you have a look at the car. The fact that its recorded is imaterial Bibs as it no indication to any condition at the time of sale. the number of owners guarantees nothing, good or bad :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I'd say that number of owners should make you cautious not necessarily put you off. Mine was a one owner and turned out to be completely knackered but the price did reflect that. It just depends how the previous owners treated the car but with that number it is a fair bet that some will have thrashed the car and then sold it on before they needed to spend money on it.

The answer is to get it checked out and make sure the price reflects the gamble

• 2 weeks later...