Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
how many here are bikers - Page 8 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

how many here are bikers

troy21

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Ding! Ding!

12442722_Alt01.jpeg

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bikes were my passion since I was 11, last one I had was a Ducati 748...I adored that bike. If I wasn’t riding it I was cleaning it. Termis, jhm airfilter, chipped - gorgeous. Then one sunny Saturday it all ended, unbeknown to me. All I remember is two weeks later being woken by a nurse repeating my name. I was incredibly lucky to survive; they called my wife to my bedside in intensive care four times to say goodbye. But I wasn’t going! It’s left me with long-term injuries including a tbi.

It was an unavoidable accident according to the Police, I had no time to react to the car driver who was trying to pull off an incredibly stupid move. In a split second my old life and career had finished and a whole new world of pain and struggle was replacing it. A grim prognosis was the outlook.

But you know what, 17 years down the line I think I’ve proved them all wrong. I’ve learnt to walk again, learnt to talk again, working part-time, still a dad to my 18 yr old son and still a husband to my wonderful wife...how she’s stuck with me christ only knows.

The only thing I want you guys to take away from this is this: You may think you’re an experienced and safe rider, I did. But on that day, I can’t remember seeing a car, reacting to a car, grabbing the brakes, nothing. Apparently I was resuscitated at the roadside before being airlifted and I can’t recall a god damn thing. They are out there guys, and they are waiting for us...just have that in the back of your mind on your next ride out.

But above all, enjoy riding your bike as it’s a feeling that can never be matched, no matter what car you drive.

Here endeth the lesson 😊

• Like 1

Hi Karl,

What a hell you went trough......nearly unbelievable.......I feel very sorry for you because of what happened to you and you had to deal with those years.

I feel rather uncomfortable by simply posting below my motorbike history which is a huge contrast of what you told us.......I hope that you will understand that a new poster has to follow-up this thread.

I wish you a good health for you and your relatives in the future.

Best regards, Ruud

Some information of one of the first Goldwing's...produced 44 years ago....1 liter flat four cyl. ohc engine , 82 hp,  redlining at 9.000 rpm, top speed over 125 mls/h, 5 speed gear box located beyond the crankshaft for a low gravity point and eguipped with at double speed counter revving alternator to eliminate torque force of the engine during throttle acceleration (which was a typical BMW boxer problem), cardan shaft, weight 640 lbs, faux tank storing the air filter and electrics, real tank below the seat just in front of the rear wheel, all in all contributing to an extreme low point of gravity..........at the time of the introduction at the 1974 Cologne Motorbike Show this "ridiculous car-like monster" caused an earthquake in the motorcycle world press.....the engine was this/first time especially developed by the Honda Cars sister company......

My 1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000 K1........2nd owner since 1978 ........uninterrupted (dry) stored over 31 years from 1983 to 2014.........7.500 mls on the odo...

IMG_20150927_170835.thumb.jpg.4c5c0fe422a47a32eca35d3d0dd46979.jpg

IMG_20150927_170851.thumb.jpg.29625b04d0cd9238d4f7811b03dfddf1.jpg

IMGP1060.thumb.JPG.ba2f3af43087391cb48d8fc1147563dc.JPG

932513442_ngwclub.NGWCLUB2016Calendar.jpg.b010a686f301a4a83d8e25917ba25e60.jpg

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016---Image--- GL1000 K1 1975

Edited by rudolphwolven
  • Like 2

Hey Ruud, don’t get me wrong, I still love bikes! I can’t ride them anymore but I will always love bikes more than I do cars so please don’t feel bad about posting your bike history. I didn’t put my post up to make people think like that.

• Like 1

I recently became a biker @   the age of 52.:scooter:

At that age you would imagine I choose a cruiser or an adventure but nono. A first class street fighter rebel bike it became. A triumph street triple and it is just fun to ride. Small, agile, light,nimble,quick, ( Hey didn't I just describe a lotus B-) )

45942420981_d3d236500a_b.jpgSAM_8074 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

45616515054_ef18ca081e_b.jpgSAM_1174 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

Geert

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Karls said:

Hey Ruud, don’t get me wrong, I still love bikes! I can’t ride them anymore but I will always love bikes more than I do cars so please don’t feel bad about posting your bike history. I didn’t put my post up to make people think like that.

Blimey, did you have your bump in Gloucestershire? 19 years ago this month I was knocked off my 916 (again Termi’s etc.) on the A40 near Andoversford. A 78 year old who could only read a number plate at 3.5m pulled out of a side road right in front of me in a 60 limit. Recovered to Cheltenham General by Ambulance, coming round when they hit a bump in the road & then rebuilt by the NHS over the next few months.

Still have a bike, an 848 just don’t use it much"

22 hours ago, Karls said:

Bikes were my passion since I was 11, last one I had was a Ducati 748...I adored that bike. If I wasn’t riding it I was cleaning it. Termis, jhm airfilter, chipped - gorgeous. Then one sunny Saturday it all ended, unbeknown to me. All I remember is two weeks later being woken by a nurse repeating my name. I was incredibly lucky to survive; they called my wife to my bedside in intensive care four times to say goodbye. But I wasn’t going! It’s left me with long-term injuries including a tbi.

It was an unavoidable accident according to the Police, I had no time to react to the car driver who was trying to pull off an incredibly stupid move. In a split second my old life and career had finished and a whole new world of pain and struggle was replacing it. A grim prognosis was the outlook.

But you know what, 17 years down the line I think I’ve proved them all wrong. I’ve learnt to walk again, learnt to talk again, working part-time, still a dad to my 18 yr old son and still a husband to my wonderful wife...how she’s stuck with me christ only knows.

The only thing I want you guys to take away from this is this: You may think you’re an experienced and safe rider, I did. But on that day, I can’t remember seeing a car, reacting to a car, grabbing the brakes, nothing. Apparently I was resuscitated at the roadside before being airlifted and I can’t recall a god damn thing. They are out there guys, and they are waiting for us...just have that in the back of your mind on your next ride out.

But above all, enjoy riding your bike as it’s a feeling that can never be matched, no matter what car you drive.

Here endeth the lesson 😊

Important lesson for us all. I started biking at 17 (passed my bike test before my car test!) and received some sound advice from my mate's dad who was a very experienced biker. He said ' treat every other roaduser as if they want to kill you'. That advice has saved me a couple of times.

Anyway, to lighten the mood a little here's a picture of my current steed (very minor use nowadays so nothing special) and of a rather nice car that I used to own (very special) 1876249735_image(8).thumb.jpg.797239ef1143a8a6d2b91de82ce1eb96.jpg1125021780_image(7).thumb.jpg.3997ccc72f2bb815851e1b8bbae87354.jpg

Just for you Karl :)

Edited by duncx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

Blimey, did you have your bump in Gloucestershire? 19 years ago this month I was knocked off my 916 (again Termi’s etc.) on the A40 near Andoversford. A 78 year old who could only read a number plate at 3.5m pulled out of a side road right in front of me in a 60 limit. Recovered to Cheltenham General by Ambulance, coming round when they hit a bump in the road & then rebuilt by the NHS over the next few months.

Still have a bike, an 848 just don’t use it much"

Yep. It was in Gloucestershire but I think the car driver was in his 50’s so I can’t compete with 78!

My brother had an 848, loved it but found it really uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, Karls said:

My brother had an 848, loved it but found it really uncomfortable.

He’s not wrong 😀 But I’m a bit older now than when I had my 916! Keep looking at BMW GS1200’s but can’t do it

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...