Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Why do I never see Lotus’s on the roads? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Why do I never see Lotus’s on the roads?

Hi All,

I know Lotus’s have always been a rare sight on the roads, but I used to see them every now and then. Here in London all the sports cars I see are Porsche’s, Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s, Bentley GT’s and Maserati’s. No Lotus's. It’s a shame people here don’t buy them. I used to see the occasional Elise here but they seem to have gone too. And where are the Evora’s, I’ve still only seen 1 on UK roads. As a kid I used to see Lotus's on the roads much more. What’s going on, have people forgotten about Lotus? It’s sad so few people are buying into to such a great British marque.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I live in London and I have never seen another Esprit while I have owned mine (last three years) unless we arrange to meet. Before I bought mine I saw an essex blue S3 near Piccadilly and a red S3 almost identical to mine going past my house... I have seen a beautiful black and gold Elite once near Kew but that is it... very very rare..

35,000,000 cars taxed and on the road (in 2011), less than 10,000 of them are Lotus's I'd guess. So 1 in 3,500 cars is a Lotus so even if you saw 10,000 cars a day would you spot the 3 with the green and yellow badge?

To be fair what's the cross section you are talking about? Cars parked on the street, cars in London being used to commute etc? Lotus have long been known for producing 2nd cars; fun, weekend cars - not repmobiles for salesmen or commuter boxes or indeed toys for people who want a status symbol rather than a driving machine as per some of the above.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Porkers are everywhere but I agree though, in London you see the most amazing cars. One early morning strolling through Mayfair I passed endless Ferraris, Astons and Maseratis, even an Enzo parked up over night on the street, ( well it was Mayfair! ). However... the one car that stuck in my mind was the Exige I saw being driven through Berkley Square... the driver had a HUGE grin on her face too, great to see the car driven and enjoyed!

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Guest surferphil

They are all hiding here in Bucks ;-) It's the gentleman's choice for those tricky hillside roads and 'tally ho chaps' tops away, blistery hilltop cruises.

Maybe a Lotus isn't the status symbol to appeal to the banking bonus brigade?

I saw 2 Elises driving down the road today, (I often see an Elise) I saw an Elan last weekend and a Black Esprit SE the weekend before.

I always see at least 1 Elise/Exige S2 on the M4/40 motorway. Usually a 458 a 12C and a load of vantages & XKs, Porsches are as common as a Corsa. Not many white Esprit S1s, although I saw a good one on Saturday at the the Ace and of course mine and Matts as we made a start on the engine swap on Sunday. :thumbsup:

I have not seen many Evoras. :no

As Bibs says I would think most of the Lotus's in Central London where I live would be second cars. In the 20 years odd that i've owned various Lotus I've seen very few others on the road...but loads of the other premium sports cars. Still still seems to be the best secret in the world!!

I used to use my Esprit, Elan S2 and Elise every day in town but the Exige I had and now my Evora only come out at weekends, just got myself a Brabus Smart to buzz around town in...much easier than worrying about the Evora.

Down in Sussex I see quite a few Elises, a lot used on morning commute too. There's an Elan I see in regular use too. I've never spotted another Evora aside from at a certain pub in Ardingly and until going to the Forest Row monthly classic meet I'd never seen the chap in my village who owns a Lotus Seven and an Elan Plus 2!

Here in Switzerland they're also relatively rare, but when I see a Lotus it's often something quite special, like the 1970s yellow, mint Europa I spotted on the Grimsel pass a few weeks ago. Interestingly I see quite a lot of Teslas - at least 1 most days in the summer.

• Gold FFM

I've already said before on other threads that pretty much the only time I see another Lotus is at an arranged get together.

I've seen one orange elise in Geelong in the 18 months I have been here and only once. And an exige on the highway between Melbourne and Sydney.

Rare as.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I use the A5 at least 4 times a week to get to part of my work and back. Since this is a major route linking parts of the country, I see lots of special cars around.

Not unusual at all to see a Lotus of some description.

I have never however seen an Evora.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Most of the British Evoras are in LEGS territory aren't they!! :harhar: You are all looking in the wrong place :whistle:

Lotus are by no means common but especially at weekends there is a fair chance of seeing an Elise or Exige out and about in my part of the word. Even a 2-11 locally. Having said that we are right on the edge of great driving roads so often will be people on their way to or returning from a cross country blast. Seen a few Evoras and not just on our meets but having said that we can usually work out who it is as effectively so few sold in 3 years.

Porsche's seem thinner on the ground than previously but still common enough with R8's becoming much more common. We also have a fine selection of other exotica seen regularly. One of which is a Porsche GT and he can reverse park it very well. Looks stunning and sounds awesome.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I guess I get frustrated as I see so many rich sods around west London that could afford to buy a Lotus and they get a Porsche instead. 15 years of car spotting in London and I recon I've seen a few dozen Lotus's in that time.

Guest surferphil

People who don't know anything about sports cars or have any particular enthusiasm for driving will usually default to a German brand in aspiration; with Pork high up on the menu, whilst enthusiasts may also buy a Porsche because they like the drive.

I cannot stand Porsche and have no enthusiasm for their cars but even I can see that they offer a good package with the Cayman/Boxter/911 and you are unlikely to be humiliated by your colleges for buying the wrong brand. Unless its a Cayanne and then you humiliated yourself in front of the entire road going public. :lol:

You can always do a driveby at Trev's place.... he's got loads!

Seriously though, Sparky and I have noticed a diminution of all types of Lotus in the last 18 months.

It could be worse..... the only time I see a Marcos is as a reflection in a shop window as I'm driving past it!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

I saw a Mini Marcos in our local Tesco's yesterday. Never seen one 'in the open' before.

You can always do a driveby at Trev's place.... he's got loads!

Seriously though, Sparky and I have noticed a diminution of all types of Lotus in the last 18 months.

It could be worse..... the only time I see a Marcos is as a reflection in a shop window as I'm driving past it!

People who don't know anything about sports cars or have any particular enthusiasm for driving will usually default to a German brand in aspiration; with Pork high up on the menu, whilst enthusiasts may also buy a Porsche because they like the drive.

I cannot stand Porsche and have no enthusiasm for their cars but even I can see that they offer a good package with the Cayman/Boxter/911 and you are unlikely to be humiliated by your colleges for buying the wrong brand. Unless its a Cayanne and then you humiliated yourself in front of the entire road going public. :lol:

As someone who has just bought a Boxster over an Elise or Exige as a trackday come general blast around car I can assure you there are a lot of people with Porsche's that would strongly disagree with your comments. The quality of everything on the Boxster makes my V8 quite frankly look like being one nano hair above a kit car. Bearing in mind I have had a Lotus in one form or another since 1974 and love the cars the build quality and component quality of the Porsche is something I really wish my Esprit had.

At first I thought it read as a critisism of Porsche but re-reading it I did jump to a wrong conclusion. I still hold my opinion about the quality though.

Edited by ramjet

Hmmmm..... seems a little unfair comparing a low volume super car, the product of 25 years of evolution with very limited resources to a mass produced German piece of ruthless efficiency drawn from a clean sheet of paper?

Just saying. :robo:

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

A good point and the guy who now looks after my Esprit (one of the best rotary engine builders in the country) tells me the Esprit is better built than the Nobles he looks after.