IGNORED

Pilots

Bibs

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who may be a radio amateur or SWL, FIFI has a fully operational restored vintage radio  and often makes contacts on the longer flights with hams with the command sets. I've heard FIFI on a few occasions, but have not made a 2 way contact yet.

Edited by comem47
  • Like 1

On 22/07/2018 at 14:09, ChrisJ said:

Not strictly about pilots

Just watched this in full. Bloody amazing.

As an ex RAF and civil pilot, the skill involved in getting the subject Lancaster 'V' Victor out and back in one piece is mind-blowing. Never mind the fact they were being shot at! Makes our modern flying seem totally tame in comparison, with massive automation, reliability, GPS approaches and landings in 75 meter visibility routine.  75,000+ RAF aircrew lost in WW2... humbling.

Thanks for the link ChrisJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2015 at 10:49, redshift said:

Speaking of Falklands and low flying, there was the case of the F4 that was snagged by maintenance when it landed with a cable wrapped round the fin and ingested into one of the engines.

The cable was apparently a radio ham's antenna that he had flown through. Given that the highest part of the antenna was less than 30 feet....

RAF inspectors turned up, checked the damage and denied all knowledge of any 'fly past'. Unfortunately the farmers wife had captured the event on film. Analysis of the photo estimated a height of less than 10 ft AGL and the PIC was shipped home very shortly after.

F4SDI.jpg

Ah the famous "Kenny" Everett! That is seriously low. 

There were Falklands videos that were even more impressive/scary.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 23:43, EGTE said:

Ah the famous "Kenny" Everett! That is seriously low. 

There were Falklands videos that were even more impressive/scary.......

Just avoiding low level radar... :>)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quote from the pilot:

This is a video I've edited using a Sony AS50 on my helmet, plus ground-based video, plus stills.

The display had to be non-aerobatic -- the aircraft was just out of the restoration shop, and there wasn't time for me to gain an aerobatic accreditation. But it was great fun!

Doing this in a Spitfire has spoiled me forever!

Dave

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...