Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brian Angus retirement - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brian Angus retirement

Been noted elsewhere, but I don't think here. Brian Angus has apparently finally taken a well-deserved retirement. All the best wishes for the new life of leisure, but, sadly, another link to Lotus' past quietly slips away. He was also a key ingredient to the ongoing S1/S2 Esprit suspension upgrade and, though things seemed to be still progressing a year or so ago (hello, Gordon?) there've been no more updates amid the management turmoil.

:cheers: Here's to enjoying a life of retirement and thanks for the many contributions to the cars and company we love! Maybe now even more available for future owners meetings as well! :yes:

I'm not sure if Brian sees any of this but he deserves a long and happy retirement.

Best wishes 'Mr Esprit' and thanks for ensuring that there have been so many years of Esprit production as well as helping to keep so many of them on the road.

Brian does dip into TLF now and again - a couple of years ago I was privileged to get a PM from him out of the blue when I posted a problem with a wayward speedo needle on my previous Esprit.

I still have the text and following his advice traced the problem to a poor earth - 

Hello Mark,
Brian from the Factory here.
Just had a look at your Posting on the Forum about your Electrical Problem.

I had a word with our Electrical Engineer - he suggests you consider the following.

"Looking at the circuit diagram there are 3 Electrical connections at the Speedo.
There is a 12 volts ignition via a splice, a ground via a splice and the 3rd connection is at the ECU Pin 60.

Firstly I would check for a constant 12 volts ognition during operation, then check for some electrical interference being picked up on the ground connection, you could try adding a new/fresh ground connection from the Speedo back to the Battery Negative to see if this cures the problem.
Failing that it will be either the output from the ECU or the Speedo it's self that is faulty".

Hopefully this may point you in the correct direction.

Cheers
Brian

Hopefully he will see the tributes as they come in. Mr Esprit will be sorely missed.

Brian is a legend, his help to members on TLF has been constant over the last 8 years and his knowledge and conversation will be sorely missed.

He's online nearly everyday here, has been for a long time and his policy of transparency of information from Hethel to us owners has made Esprit ownership a whole lot better than it would have been otherwise.

I'm waiting for details of his last day this month from PR but hope to be able to send a few TLF'ers and Esprits to Hethel for a thanks and a send off :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I've got PM from him too -so I can echo what is above-said.

Brian is a helpfull and friendly guy, and was allways offering informations on special points of interest.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hopefully retirement will suit, and perhaps a nip in here now and then to keep his hand in too :)

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Best wishes for the future Brian - hope we still meet up from time to time at the various shows/club meets.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I wish Brian a long and happy retirement, as I know MJK does, though I know dad has contacted Brian directly. I'm sure he's just as sad to be going and I'm sure we all look forward to him coming on here and continueing to be helpful in his retirement! Hopefully he'll also have more time to come see us all!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

He will be a huge loss, for us and Lotus. Can't be many more Chapman era guys left at the factory now?

I hope this isn't a cue for the excellent factory support to wane :(

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I've been asking for Brian's leaving date for 6 weeks to be able to arrange something and found out today from HR that it's tomorrow.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to arrange an Esprit posse and a gift in the next few weeks and can ask Brian to perhaps return to his old works for a goodbye from us, watch this space.

• Gold FFM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :cry:

I've had many a technical chinwag with Brian.  It's like surfing the net - so much there, and if you ask the right question you'll get the answers you need!  No idea how he keeps it all in his head.  Had the honour of running him round the factory track in my GT3 (his favourite Esprit) last year.

Brian, you'll be sorely missed.  I do hope I get to meet you again...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Great Guy!

Brian came out to meet me at Dunston Hall when I was staying there for the factory tour in May 2011.  

Even if an Esprit owner was not helped directly by Brian (via email or pm), they definitely benefited from the knowledge and support that he has given other Esprit owners!

Happy Retirement Brian!  Thanks for all your support to the Lotus community!  Much Appreciated!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Brian, I really hope you enjoy retirement, whether that's putting your feet up at home (to get them out of the way of the vacuum cleaner), visiting some sunnier places (Cromer and Gt Yarmouth don't count), tinkering with various engineering projects or something not mentioned, JUST ENJOY IT.

If you fancy a long journey you're more than welcome to pop me a text message/ email and have a coffee at the airport.

Andy

Congratulations, and Happy Retirement, Brian!   :)

As others have said, likewise, thank you for your help and your involvement!

Stay active on the forum here -- you have a lot of appreciative friends! 

- Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to get on TLF more often as I almost missed this. Brian's knowledge of the Esprit is second to none. I was lucky enough to shoot an interview with him for 'Esprit-Addiction for Life' and his ability to make things happen at the factory really helped pull that film together. He's also helped me with advice on my own car - even when I b******d up a job I was doing on it. Every enquiry to Brian is answered with a fascinating history lesson and explanation of why Lotus did things a certain way. This really adds to your understanding. Superb guy, plus he's Scottish. We need to stay in touch with him. Maybe he'd be an honorary consultant to TLF in his retirement?

Brian, may the road rise up afore ye - and may the wind at your back always be your own. :-)

Nobody does it better.

Alan

Echo the sentiments here. A well deserved retirement to Brian and eternal thanks for developing the car we all love....

Met Mr A. at Hethel during the factory tour when the Europa was launched and a pleasure to talk to.

All the very best...... 

In recent years Brian did so much behind the scenes to get parts re-manufactured.  Without his tireless work many of us would not be on the road.

A well deserved retirement & hope you have some time now to pop up here from time to time.  You have many great stories about your time at Lotus - why not write a book?  

To mark Brian's retirement I've had a talented automotive artist produce this sculpture on commission for Brian. It's an S4s in Norfolk Mustard as that's Brian's favourite Esprit and as a guide the base would fit on a piece of A4 paper. It's make from folded and painted aluminium. 

If you'd like to donate to the costs, please send a payment to info@thelotusforums.com via paypal.

There will be a handover event at the factory and I'm waiting for details/dates from Hethel, but I'd like to help see Brian off with an impressive display of Esprits, so many people can come and thank him for a lifetime dedicated to our favourite car, watch this space.

We're also open to a limited edition run of the sculpture, there's already a keen interest and the cost will be £250 + shipping. Limited to 10, make a list please. :)

post-1-0-80448200-1359109361.jpg

post-1-0-32465300-1359109383.jpg