Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exploding Engine - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exploding Engine

Less dramatic than the title but I was wondering if anybody has experienced what I have with this as according to the dealer it has never happened before ever.

I have a MY12 Evora S IPS, 3 months old 3,000 miles on it.

I was driving home from work on the motorway driving at between 50 and 60mph.  The engine had just come fully up to temperature so I decided to have a bit more fun.

The revs were below 2000 and I pressed the sport button, put my foot down and the engine exploded. 

Lots of clattering and a complete loss of power I manouevered my way to the hard shoulder of the motorway in a cloud of smoke and leaving a James Bond style oil slick all the way.

That is it, the AA kindly delivered the car to the dealer and it has been there 4 days so far and they are trying to sort out a new engine.  Apparently somebody from Lotus HQ is visiting to assess it.

According to the logs I had been driving it "perfectly" their words not mine so cannot understand what has happened.

I now have a Renault Megane courtesy car which is the most god awful drivers car in the world and the worst thing I have ever driven, so much so the more I drive it the angrier I become.

Anyway back to the point, has anybody ever heard or seen this type of thing before.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news, obviously disruptive, but I trust Lotus will take of everything.  Look forward to the diagnosis.

If there is any "positive aspect", it is that you have made no modifications. That saves any questionable issues for you, but for those of us who have, you have set an interesting precedent, should we suffer similarly!  Yes, a dozen buts around that ........but!  

So, Toyota likely Toyota will have to recall another godzillion cars due to engine failure. At least they have practice in handling those. :tadts

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• Gold FFM

I've never heard of that engine going 'pop' before.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

That will be the best recall from a manufacturer :

"Take care when you look at or even think about an R8 - you have to come to our factory to have your thoughts sorted - your car is ok by the way"

@@@Swagoon:

Sorry to hear - hope your car is repaired v e r y fast in order to catch the sun that is coming out now!

Will update here when i know more, i think the car just got jealous as i was looking at an R8 convertible at the weekend before.

Oh er............... I must admit to these carnal thoughts as well.  I'm not the only one in the LEGS group either.  Starting to make more financial sense and I've always lusted after the R8 but waited for the Spyder to come along as I do miss that since getting rid of the Boxster and Lotus haven't fulfilled original promises as I always said (even before 1st customer cars received)  I'd trade up for an Evora S-IPS-Cabriolet when they came along.

Keeping on thread I'd better not let mine know these unclean thoughts if I want it to stay complete as now out of warranty!!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Gold FFM

It's not as unusual as you think.  Shortly after I heard about "Project Eagle" (the Evora development project) I put one of the first UK deposits down - my Elan developed head gasket failure shortly afterwards!

Well Lotus have been out and authorised a new engine, 48 hours to arrive but the phone message from dealer states several weeks to fit it and hire car extended to 25th March. I really cannot drive a Megane for that long it will drive me insane.

Still not found out what the issue was as tied up in work without even a lunch break.

Other half has found and she has gone to the dealer, oh dear, this could get messy.

Ah, but sometimes they get action, when us men who have too much emotional attachment to the car/dealer/salesman/service manager to get shouty it.  A SWMBO in full gun blazing mode can be a wondrous thing as long as not on the receiving end of it!!

Good luck and watching this thread with interest! Especially as I am out of warranty now

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Well she has been in and a con rod had gone through the engine casing.

According to the dealer £16k for an undressed engine but was being handled under warranty.

The Mrs knows her sale of goods act off by heart and wants a new car as that one was not fit for purpose or durable enough.

They do not know what caused the problem and Lotus will not let the dealer look at the engine.

Good job she went in as i would have blown a gasket, not finding out what actually happened until a week later is a bit of a sham and paying what i am a month for the car it is not what i would call appropriate to drive around in a mothers school run vehicle.

It will continue.

Edited by Swagoon

I would expect that Toyota won't even let Lotus look inside the engine.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Well the Megane has gone back and the dealership has wheeled out a brand new Sportracer for me to pootle around in until sorted. I am a much happier less grumpy driver now.

Personally i would have been happy with a 2nd hand car but hey you know. It is appalling how car dealerships do not understand the Sale of Goods Act.

The dealer keeps telling us that they are dealing with it as a warranty claim as a new engine has arrived and that they have passed it onto Lotus board in terms of replacing the car entirely. When in reality the contract is with the dealer not the manufacturer (albeit they would need to source a car from them).

For now i am happy an not in a rush as i once again like the car i am driving, the saga will continue though.

I'm no expert, but I think you might find that the Sale of Goods act means you have to end up with a fit for purpose car, I don't think it means you can reject the original because it is fitted with a new engine.

I have read a long a winding case somewhere which basically says you have to give the dealer a chance (or maybe even 2) to fix it (which it sounds like they are trying to).

Having been down the return car route once I can confirm on something as large as a car with many different sub systems you have to give dealer chance to repair each system.  Even if you get  dozens of minor faults as long as dealer fixes them and they don't return then they do not add up to one big issue.  

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but may save you time and effort and maybe even fees if you don't know a friendly solicitor for detailed advice.

• 2 weeks later...

That's terribly bad luck, I'm afraid. Good thing Lotus will cover it with a brand new engine.. hope she comes back better than new. This engine has been solid throughout the years I've owned this car. Not a single problem with the Toyota engine. The reliability of the powerplant was a real selling point for me, so it's really shocking to hear this motor went pop on you like that.