Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SUMP PLUG - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

SUMP PLUG

SPADGER27

Has anybody a bright idea how to remove a rounded off brass sump plug which was last attacked by Bodgit and scarper. The plug is completely rounded off and hammer and chisel has been tried

post-14896-0-83834900-1373569460.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, had one of those on the Volvo - local garage couldnt shift it but a Stilsons (plumbers wrench) got it. Forget a normal wrench - you have to grip and turn. With a Stilsons, you just have to turn - the harder its stuck, the tighter they grip. Even in a tight space.

adjustable-pipe-wrench.jpg

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Yup, stilson should work, or I have some very sexy spanners from the US that would nail it. New one's quite expensive...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It's often a case of finding stilsons or pliers that fit just right. I had a similar problem with the filler plug for my gearbox. Stilsons proved to big and slipped, the Knipex Cobra did get a grip but I couldn't exert enough force. a mate suggested using a hoseclamp to keep the Cobra closed, and that worked! Been using the cobra for smaller rounded off bolts everytime since.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

If the irwin sockets are big enough they will move it, they are great for rounded off stuff

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I am sure I read somewhere they are a standard size plumbing fitting available for pennys from a plumbers merchant.

OK it's messy, get the oil drainer ready, drill a hole right through, allow the oil to drain, then use an easy out.

Easy%20Out.jpg

Then chuck some paraffin oil down it to flush any possible swarf.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I like Scott's idea...drill a hole through the remains of the head. I'd use a short length of steel rod through the hole resulting, and get a socket that's a tight fit on the remains of the head...then cut slots in the socket to engage the steel rod through the hole. Heat the thing up before you exert any force on it... a good squirt of WD40 down the square hole in the socket, then in with the T-bar with an extension added to the bar for more leverage, and HEAVE!!!! That ought to transmit enough torque to get it out. I also agree with Malcolm, I think the plugs are a standard plumbing fitting.

What fun it is, all these little problems to solve.....  

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If it's brass a dremel should go through it like a knife through butter - as someone else suggested, try cutting it down enough to get an open ended spanner on it. Should come off that way?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 10 months later...

Paul,

Did you get it off? I have a similar issue

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark