Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

A week or so ago I took the Essex for a spin down a few country lanes and stopped at a little cafe for a coffee.

Would that have been the Fat Duck or the Waterside ;-) ?

Jaques, try some autoglym hd wax after the clay bar, i couldnt believe the red was so.....red! Ive only had to do the clay bar once and waxed the car twice in a year it realĺy lasts (im guilty of not doing many miles this year though)

I was on my way up the M6 the other day, and stopped in one of the services – I can't remember which one. I was on a bit of a mission, so I parked in the back of the car park where there was plenty of room, so I could get the parking over quickly and get on. As I came out, three spaces along there was a bloke in a brand new, red, beautiful F-Type S. Really stunning. As I approached, he started the engine, and it gave that wonderful throaty roar. I mouthed at him (over the noise) that it was a beautiful car. The admiration on my face probably was worth a thousand words. He muttered some thanks. Than I plipped the alarm on my car and opened the door. His jaw dropped. He mouthed his admiration at me, in his turn.

To be fair, they are both pretty stunning cars, but I think I surprised him (in a good way) more often than he was prepared for. It did make me feel good.

Displayed both the Esprits at a car show in Arlanda here in Stockholm last weekend. As usual the BRG/Magnolia Turbo SE garnered the most attention while the V8 was overlooked. Anyways, a couple of people stop by, looking over the collection of Loti present. Among the Europas, Elises and Exiges the stop at the Esprits and one person says..

"What the heck is this? This doesn't look like a Lotus...it looks like an old Mitsubishi!"

...Which is exactly what I said when I was shown a pic of a V8 prior to buying my first Esprit. I dissed it. Then I bought it....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 8 months later...

When waiting to pull away from a parking space or at traffic lights I am often gestured by youths/passers by to "give it the gun" regardless of the the road conditions prevailing. This is happening a lot more often these days for some reason.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Until June 9 I'm still technically in the spectator category and I'm acutely aware of what seeing my first (and last) Esprit was like. I've boxes of classic car magazines, pristine and spanning maybe 7 years of fanatical daydreaming in the early 2000's. The issues with either early Range Rovers or Esprit S1's are stored extra carefully. I have my Bahama Gold '73 RR since '06, and it's a total fluke that in the same issue of the mag with the Monaco based feature of the white S1, there's also a feature on a Bahama Gold RR. I digress intentionally; the point being that I've fantasised about an Esprit from a distance for close on 20 years. It just hasn't come round until now. Thing is I'd never actually seen one in the wild until a few years ago.

It was at a large annual classic show that happens just down the road from me, and one I've had my RR and classic Mini's in in the past. Out of nowhere there were a pair of Esprits side by side one year. I'd never seen them before, never since.

The people I was snooping around the show with got the hump and f'd off. Seemingly I had stopped talking mid sentence and stood there staring at the cars. I couldn't get over how wide they were. I was taught to drive (properly) by a racer in my teens and on seeing the Esprits all I could think about was wanting to be behind the wheel of my own one. I couldn't talk to the owners, like some form of not wanting to meet your heroes. No offence intended but I didn't want some weirdo giving me an impression of the car I couldn't relate to. I wanted to figure it out myself... to feel the chassis, listen to the grip, find the revs and push my own will in some curves. More than the sum of every glowing review of "it's a driver's car", the Esprit in the flesh whispered promises of all that to me.

See every grinning 10 year old kid mentioned in this thread... that's where I am right now. I'm 37.  :fun:

Edited by GTK
  • Like 1

For a while, I had a couple of Ferrari 308s;  the reaction couldn't be more different.   With the Esprit, the reactions are always positive, always "cool car!"  "wow, a Lotus!"   "Jame Bond!"  "Is that a Pantera/Lamborghini/Ferrari?"  etc.    With the 308, the reactions were usually tense, mistrusting, or outright jealous -- typical comments were "how much did you pay for that," "how much money do you make," "what do yo do for a living," "what is it worth/what does it cost,"  or stupid comments and questions about gas mileage and parts spoken or asked with a slant that it was obvious the person was trying to place themselves in a one-up position over me/my car.   I always worried about my 308 when I parked it somewhere.

I also have a Ferrari 328 and I agree totally with the above.

I feel much more comfortable driving the Esprit. It gets more attention than the 328 and it feels like the attention is more positive.

Bearing in mind my Esprit has been off the road for more years than I care to remember now - I get just as many people asking me about what it is with that wedge shape hidden underneath the covers........ Keeps 'um guessing  :harhar:  Though they normally think its a Testarossa with the flat rear width.........

It really is worth getting your Esprit back on the road..

I was cleaning my car on the Saturday be for Brooklands and a chap walked past with is 4 year old son they had to walk back as his son was dragging him back to have a look. The kid was amazing he knew exactly what the car was “cool it’s a lotus” and he told me he had one as well but his was white and he played with it in the bath. He was a little concerned that it did not float and just went to the bottom. “Did mine do that as well?” I said that it very probably would but that I had not ever tried it. His face was a picture when I said he could get in it "wow red, that’s my favourite colour!" the kid talked for England and at only 4 he was amazing , I told his dad so, his dad sighed and said sometimes it would be nice if he was quiet!  

Do you expect me to talk........ No Mr Bond I expect you to die!

I second that. Buuuuut maybe, just maybe, his son of 4 years are also very open mouthed about his fathers mistress???

;)

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

The lotus esprit simply needs to be beatified by the pope ( all variants - so no squabbling )

Amen........

• Like 1

Only here once

I recon the Esprit it like marmite, some people love it and some people hate it, that's been my experience over the last few years anyway.  To me, my car is my baby and I love it and always will, but I get some people saying it looks like a cheese wedge or looks too square.  And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

Since owning the Mustang, I've found so many people give me thumbs up in it and people are always coming up to me where ever I park it and speaking to me about it.  It seems to draw universal approval.  So why don't they do that to my Esprit?  :(.

Still, my Son likes my Esprit.

And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas. I know its a generalisation but while the ladies in my proximity appreciate it when I quantify everything it represents, they don't like the look of it. In one instance a Sicilian (so not prone to sugar coating it), sat up on her bar stool and exclaimed "Are you crazy, it's so ugly!"

All the more power to weight for me my dear  :P

Edited by GTK

I find that blokes seem to appreciate it more than the fairer sex,they like the fact its British its a bit quirky and surprised as to just how blindingly quick they are.I always get let out of side roads and am suitably appreciative, women love seeing my 10 year old daughter sat in passenger seat rather than a bimbo (although she is blonde),I don't upset people by being a prick on the road but do excersise when appropriate, 20 years old and still looks fresh that surely has to be a testament to MrChapmans genius and Mr Stevens pen.

• Like 2

Simplest things first.

• Gold FFM

I get comments everywhere I take it - all amazingly complimentary.

These motors really are a fine piece of sculpture on wheels.

The missus - she doesn't get the car at all - too whooshy and noisy ???? Um yeah that's the fun bit.....

Only here once

Since owning the Mustang, I've found so many people give me thumbs up in it and people are always coming up to me where ever I park it and speaking to me about it.  It seems to draw universal approval.  So why don't they do that to my Esprit?  :(.

Because it's a "Ferrari"!

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas.

True but the majority also like Poldark and Britains Got Talent, so who cares ;)

I find that blokes seem to appreciate it more than the fairer sex,they like the fact its British its a bit quirky ......I don't upset people by being a prick on the road but do excersise when appropriate

True, and I try* to do the same which helps

I get comments everywhere I take it - all amazingly complimentary.

True, if people hate it they generally are too polite to say so, a noble habit I should really try and adopt when walking around shows within earshot of owners :whistle:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

A few weeks ago I actually got a comment from one of the above: "Why would anyone buy something like that instead of a Porsche?". I didn't even bother to explain. She probably wouldn't have been able to get in gracefully anyway, being beyond middleaged. :-p

Last Saturday we got nothing but positive reactions  while doing the Gentlemens Driver Rally. 45 lovely cars and dito crews. And we earned the respect of the Porsches by getting the tools out to fix a lovely 930 Turbo convertible. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.