Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

• Gold FFM

Slightly different but in he same vein, a few years back a ran a new Renault 19 turbo while I lived on an estate in Aberdeen and every week the thing was broken into, radio, cd's anything that moved was stolen. The strange thing was I also had a Daimler DB 18 of 1955 vintage which you couldn't lock and it was parked in the same car park with the same neds but they never ever touched the Daimler, they would sit in it turn the knobs, switch on the lights etc but if a stranger ever went near it they were the first to chase them off and knock at my door.

Crikey, some tales of woe there Neil (PS I love Monzas too, owned 3)

Glad Im not the only one.  I owned  2. Both were happy for the front suspension top mounts to rust away!   

I could go on and on, but here is the worst and best.

In the NMEG days we had a run out to the Wirral peninsula. My car was parked a few spaces from an R8 when a young family walked along, young boy about 6 went mental for my car running up to it with his mouth open. Mum then proceeded to tell him to come and look at the R8 he had just run past, and not to bother with my car because it was just a kit car!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I educated the family and thanked the boy for his obvious good taste.

Best experience was on the way to Le Mans last year when we had stopped for lunch and a chap pulled up behind my car in a Ford GT, then came over to ask if he could take photos of my car, stating that he had always loved Esprits, made my year.

The wisdom of youth! I love seeing young lads go bananas as it reminds me of my own reaction all those years ago. Perhaps our enthusiasm today stems from trying to relive the vitatlity we had then

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 8 months later...

I finally got my car registered onto Spanish plates so I have been using it quite a bit this week.

It is incredible the responses the car gets, I had a guy stop while crossing a zebra crossing in front of the car pullout his phone and take a photo too the annoyance of the cars behind.

a couple of days ago while i was stopped at the lights 3 guys walked past and one went "wow look at that Lambo!", When it is parked people tend to walk up to it and look all over it, definitely turns heads.

That was in Gibraltar, though in Spain I keep hearing "coche fantastico" so I said to my girlfriend why do I keep hearing that, Coche Fantastico was the name for Knight Rider in Spain so everyone thinks my black Esprit is Kit.........

Edited by Laurie Cross
  • Like 1

During my early days of ownership, back in the 1980s, I was driving home from work one evening, through the back streets of Molesey. They are a bit narrow near the Bell pub.....I turned left at a tight junction that takes you on to the road where the pub is. Coming the other way up the road was a Rolls Royce Shadow 2. Not much room for us to pass each other....as we eased alongside I looked up at the driver of the Royce and he looked down at me. "Nice car, chum" said Billy Cotton Jr. "Not quite as nice as the ones your Dad used to drive at Brooklands..." I replied...we both chuckled....and went on our respective ways!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've only had the car a few weeks, but I have had a bloke in what looked to be a Ford Focus come up behind as we approached a roundabout, rev his engine until his dump valve blew. He then pulled up alongside, and did the same.

Twat.

Margate Exotics.

It really tickles people's inferiority complex - I have idiots in BMW 1-series' overtake me showing all they got as if it's some kind of demonstration of dominance...

Same with Japanese tuners (Evos and Imprezas). Some drivers really feel the need to justify their purchase by "shaming" other motorists via the gas pedal.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

On the way home after buying the car I had a recovery truck driver "squeeze" me in the middle lane just for giggles. For a professional driver involved with motor vehicles and safety I was shocked and thought "uh oh, this is what it's going to be like from now on".

That was 11 years ago and never noticed any serious attitude since, either that or I've grown a thicker skin!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Strangest reaction I've ever had.

Driving round the M25 (may years ago). I was doing about 70 or so in the inside lane.

Ford Cortina mk4 overtakes in the middle lane. Suddenly, the rear passenger door opens, and the passenger sticks his bum out and drops his trousers, :huh::question::ouch:

This was when the M25 was relatively new and uncrowded. I'd like to see someone try this now

Chris

Strangest reaction I've ever had.

Driving round the M25 (may years ago). I was doing about 70 or so in the inside lane.

Ford Cortina mk4 overtakes in the middle lane. Suddenly, the rear passenger door opens, and the passenger sticks his bum out and drops his trousers, :huh::question::ouch:

Yeah, sorry about that Chris, my behaviour has improved since those days.

Margate Exotics.

good point - he (I assume) must have wound down the window (it was 25 years ago!).

I minute there was just a car, next I had an arse being pointed at me.

Sort of sticks in your mind :)

• Like 1

Last weekend I took my Esprit to the open house day at an animal shelter where I do volunteer work. Lots of reactions, ranging from 'is that Ferrari yours?' to technical questions about age and engine and one very nice lady asking for a ride. :smoke:

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

As you know picked the S4 up from Oxford the other day and Darren showed us to the nearest filling station, fuelled up the car and the guy at the next pump made the first comment, The blue one looks better than the Yellow, sorry Dazer, but the guy obviously had taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting an old thread, ‘cause this is something I do want to share.

Yesterday evening I got a visit from our local constable (non-Lotus related). The Esprit was left on the driveway because I would be using it later on. She was very friendly, despite the her task being not too pleasant. After getting my signature, she started to comment about the Esprit. What a lovely car it is… How she would love to drive along… If it hadn’t been for the heavy rain at the time, I would have gladly granted her wish. I should have told her to get back in touch on a nice sunny evening, now that I think about it. :police:

Filip

Edited by Escape
  • Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I've never heard a negative comment regarding any of the Esprit's I've owned...... Aside from a young lady announcing very loudly that my S2 "IS THE FUTURE" at a recent car show, the other notable comment came when I had my S4 commemorative:

At the time, I lived in a rather dodgy part of Manchester and kept the esprit in storage. One day I'd collected the Esprit and was out at the back of my house giving it a wash, when a group of kids walked past, and one of them shouted over, in the broadest 'Manc Scally' accent you'll ever hear "MATE.... IS THAT A MAZ-DOH???!!!!"

I shouted back that it was in fact a Lotus..... but I don't think they had a 'kin clue what I was on about..... partly because I was speaking normally, and partly because they'd probably never heard of a Lotus.

Normally when talking about my esprit people are shocked to find that I own one. When asked how long I've had it for and I say, about 10 years, they are like, yeah right, whatever. Your clearly lying as we've never seen it....

I did use it once, honest I did......

Although I wish it had broken down that day, woulda saved a lot of grief...! :)

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Ha ha, Simon, that was a good one. I think we'd be amazed of how many ordinaly families WHO actually have something really nice out in the garage.

Anyway, a few days a go, I had a friend passing by from the other side of this Island, just to see the Esprit. One thing id to see it in a movie, another is to view it in reality. He just dropped his lower jaw - "schlack"!!! on the concrete floor.   ;)

Well, off to the garage to "maintain" the Little Red Riding Hood, as I've just got me a claybar set. Don't know what the fuss is about, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Claybar is the closest thing to PFM you'll ever use on a car finish, Jacques. Had my first experience with it last month (on a '91 BMW I've managed to put 230,000 miles on since new), and was astonished at how smooth to the touch the surface became. I'm still trying to figure out the physics of how a simple lump of clay can work such wonders with so little effort. 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Okay, now I have sprayed that bottle of slippery stuff all over my Esprit, and it's really shiny and slippery. But what to do with the claybar?  Is it eatable?

Does it slide Down the throat with a cup of tea, as I have used all the liquid in the bottle?

Well, I'll be d..... ehrmm, well actually you are right John. It's a Wonder of magic. My Esprit is now so smooth, that I slide off and land on the floor, every time I try to get in it. Hmm, maybe I should swap that seriously heavy stainless sill protector for some carbon version with clear grip tape from a scateboard on it?

On a serious note, it's really that good as John says. I am amazed.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

A week or so ago I took the Essex for a spin down a few country lanes and stopped at a little cafe for a coffee. I parked ordered a coffee and sat down. About 15 mins later I could hear this chap come in and start talking "do you realise that it's one of the rarest cars on the planet" closely followed by "I never thought that I'd see one in the flesh"

A short while later the chap and his girlfriend come in close to me and starts looking round to see who's car it is. About 5 minutes later the waiter comes over and asks if the Esprit is mine. He goes on to say that it's the second coolest car he's seen at the cafe  and that they get lots of exotica (Veyrons etc etc).

Naturally i'm flattered but intrigued I asked what was the coolest? Apparently a Lister Storm by driven by Tiff Needell.

Guy with his girlfriend (who's looking slightly embarrassed now) then bounds over and asks all about the car so I give him Grand tour. Finally as I drive away, all the kitchen staff and half the customers pile out to see me driver off. Managed not to stall it thankfully.   

• Like 1