Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Plastic dashboard in the binacle for Esprit S2 or S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Plastic dashboard in the binacle for Esprit S2 or S3

Hello,

I am restoring all the interior of my Esprit S2 2.2l, and, in the dashboard binnacle the black plastic of the counter is broken.

Is somebody known where can I found one ?

It's look difficult to found one.

Thank you for your help.

See also my dashboard with a meterial similar as the mercasite.

Arnaud

post-15985-0-27199600-1394209748.jpg

post-15985-0-57285900-1394209980.jpg

Hi mate,

two options:

have it remade with plywood and then painted black

have it repaired with fiberglass and some (little) filler?

if not you can try asking to some scrapyard, never seen a new one for sale.

Ciao

Giorgio

Its called the binnacle mask and I believe its been obsolete for some time. I picked up a new one for my Turbo Esprit in one of the factory sales several years ago. They are very thin plastic and easily damaged.

Good luck in your quest to find one but you may be better trying to use your existing one as a pattern to have one made in plastic.

:)

It's getting there......

Try Steve Fulcher (son of the late Nick Fulcher), one visit to Nick's place he was restoring an S1 and had to have some dash masks re-made / repaired so it's just possible that Steve may have some availaable / know of somebody.

I have to agree with Giorgio though, repair is probably a good route. You could adhere some thin strong material behind the plastic (say 1mm ali sheet) then then spray the front with a black bumper type paint.

They are almost impossible to find. I have been looking for a long time and managed to get one to replace my broken one but this too is slightly damaged and I had to buy the whole binnacle. I was thinking of looking into 3D printing to make a replacement but don't know where to start and I'm struggling to find somewhere that will do vacum forming in small quantities. I think the mask is unique to the S2? Does the S3 have the same mask as the Turbo but with the boost gauge slot blanked off?

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

S3 has a mask, sounds like the same type.

Mine broke in the corners where the screws go through. I had to fix it by reinforcing with washers on the backside. Worked well for now.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I am supprised Sjs isn't making them as he does a lot of other panels inc some with  a grain surface to them.

• 8 months later...

I had the instrument mask drawn up for a 3D printer. I had one printed out, (okay, two, because I kind of ruined the first one), but haven't installed it yet. Go to Shapeway.com and search for Lotus Esprit instrument panel.

Bill

79 JPS 24

77 S1 "Charro"

I was. Originally, I was thinking of making it a convertible, like the St, Tropez, but there isn't enough damage to warrant that. Current plan is a budget restoration, get it running nicely, but it might not look showroom new. Allows someone to get into a Lotus for smaller money, without it needed EVERYTHING all at once.

I had the instrument mask drawn up for a 3D printer. I had one printed out, (okay, two, because I kind of ruined the first one), but haven't installed it yet. Go to Shapeway.com and search for Lotus Esprit instrument panel.

Bill

79 JPS 24

77 S1 "Charro"

Adding the link

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1577237/lotus-esprit-s2-instrument-panel.html

and photo

625x465_1577237_1845383_1418662292.jpg

625x465_1577237_1845343_1418662292.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 4 months later...

This week I made me a new dashboard.

The original plastic one was torn on one side. Some gauges were rattling a bit .

I decided to use 8mm thick trespa ( HPL) This is a very firm material that endures all weather and temperatures .It is used as a construction finishing material outdoors. It is heavy, but that doesn't matter because most of the panel are holes. It is quit hard to machine. I used a table saw and a router to make the dash.

The nice thing is that the surface of the trespa has the same structure as the original plastic.

I used the same material (6mm) some months ago to construct al new bootpanels to replace the old flimsy multiplex ones

After constructing, I finished the dash with black automotive 3 component (color/thinner/hardener) paint and my airbrushpistol.

It took me quite some time.

Starting with all wiring out (numbering and noting things down.

old and the start of the new:

IMG_20150425_184857_zps9ftyks0k.jpg

finished and painted, ready to install and rewire.

It is much stronger,stiffer and more durable then the plastic original

IMG_20150501_150409_zpshsrprjns.jpg

And ready to roll again:

IMG_20150501_181146_zpsownb5otr.jpg

IMG_20150501_181232_zpsl8eok5yt.jpg

Geert

Edited by gvy

• 10 months later...

Has anyone ever had a custum made Stainless Steal or Aluminium or Wood dashboard made for the S3?

Whats the story with the 2 bubble holes left and right on the panel not used?

(Not worried about my S3 Turbo being kept Factory) Not a fan of the plastic panel.

Started by Arnaud Couturon7 Mar 2014

S3 Console Interior.png

1 hour ago, MJK said:

Whats the story with the 2 bubble holes left and right on the panel not used?

Without checking, aren't they the rheostats that control the dashboard & centre console lights?

• 1 year later...

Ressurecting an old, but not ancient, thread since no point in starting a new one. 

I actually was surprised to learn the two round pieces directly to the left and right of the tachometer  & speedometer were not blanking plugs, but rheostats for illumination; these are in the owners manual but as I only drove the car four, maybe five short drives before pushing it backwards into the garage, I never needed to use them. In my case, the much-talked about and photographed screws behind the knobs aren’t there (puzzlingly).

As my entire binnacle needs to be re-covered, I was actually thinking of going with the black like MJK (Arnaud) has on his car—the glare against the windshield in my car’s current light tan(-ish...it’s all deteriorated and showing plastic underneath) was dismaying in my few drives. Has anyone switched over to a darker color for the binnacle? I was considering dark brown as well, to match the carpet. 

In response to Arnaud’s 18-month old  query about custom dash panels, I was wondering the same thing, and have inquired with my best friend who owns a woodworking / manufacturing company (in Red Hill, PA) about possibly making a binnacle gauge cover as well as a matching wooden overlay to replace the torn, shrunken leather-to-windscreen area into which my car’s speakers are sunk. He is mulling it over but as he is co-owner with his older brother I’m sure he will need  reminding! If there is any movement on that front I’ll post here or in a new thread, but due to the vagaries of convincing friends to take on extra work it may be a while. 

Also, I clicked on the link above for Shapeways.com but it didn’t lead me directly to the aforementioned article.

Cheers, 

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

Scott,

I used the Shapeways instrument panel that I had someone else draw up for me. As I don't own it artwork, I'll contact the artist to see if I can release the model on Shapeways to allow anyone to print it. I'm happy with the way that it came out. It cost almost $100 to print it, but it's made out of different material than the original ABS, and unlikely to crack anytime soon.

SJ Sportscars has a panel for $68, but I don't know if it is ABS plastic like the original or fiberglass. Someone complained about the fit at one time, as the panel was too big and they had to trim it down. Don't know if that is still a problem, or what the quality of the piece is.

If you are looking to recondition your side panels as well, I have the artwork to print the panels for an S2 with air conditioning. Let me know if you are interested in that. I'll have to dig up what I have, as I did mine a couple years ago, and will have to refresh those brain cells.

Bill

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

Edited by bgalbraith
Added prices
  • Like 1

@bgalbraith - that looks really great. I'd be interested in something with that sort of finish for my Excel rather than the wood.

The Turbo Esprit has a different layout though - see the posting by MJK March 8th 2016.

• 2 years later...

Hi Bill @bgalbraith

Do you still have the artwork for the Air Con panel as mine has a few scratches so a refresh would be good?

On you LH panel what is the top right switch?

Dave :) 

Edited by Bibs

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Bill, I too would fancy some way of refreshing the AC artwork for my restoration if you can help. That top right switch is, I suspect, the fog setting for the brake lamps.

• Like 1

I'll have to contact my printer to see what he can do, but it's not going to happen until Monday.

Anyone else want in on this? With printing and postage to the US, I'm guessing $20 will cover it, but I'm just guessing here. WIll have to see what the printer has to say.

Bill

• Thanks 1