Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The story of Little Red Riding Hood - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The story of Little Red Riding Hood

Hi Ian,

I have them ready. I just cannot get the old nuts off, as I cannot reach them. No Tool I have can get to them. Only the first two upper and for lower.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's been years since I've had to do this job (thankfully) but I do seem to recall using a thin walled 3/8 drive socket for one or two of the nuts along with a specially adapted spanner (grinder time!) for some of the others. 

Am I right in thinking that it's worthwhile removing the engine mount and its associated heat shield for decent access?

• Gold FFM

And I bet most of that was with his eyes closed mouth open and just by feel alone........

close your eyes jacques - become one with the manifold :devil:

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It's entirely possible without removing anything else, but it does help if anything from the shoulders down can bend in strange ways.  You should be able to get 8 or 9 of them off without too much hassle, but cyl 1 is tough.  Long screwdrivers and tyre levers (with help from a hammer) to bend the tabs.  Jacques, if you really want a good shot at it, remove the towers.  Very handy if they need resealing, but I suspect yours don't!  Makes the job a doddle.

I use modified spanners - rings ground very thin, and open jaws with the sides ground off.  And 1/4 inch drive, short/long sockets, ground down if necessary.

I've done plenty, and never had to pull the engine, but I may have been lucky...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Point taken, I'll shop around tomorrow, if someone's open. And a few grinding discs too ;)

Sparky: how do you undo the turbo from the exhaust manifold? It seems that only two nuts can be loosened or removed?

I'll report back.

No, no seeping from cam Towers ;)

Jacques.

• Gold FFM

Worry about the turbo once the whole assembly is off.  At worst, you then have room to grind anything off.  Turbo can be reattached once the new manifold is insitu.  Be prepared for minor alignment issues, but they can be addressed when encountered.

If you're not going to remove the towers, then it's a case of pure bloody-mindedness!  They will come off, but you'll be doing most of it by feel, one flat at a time.  As Sir Advantage states, if you're having a really bad time it might be worth removing heatshield and engine mounting, then lifting the engine a little.  Never had to do it myself, but it might allow a bit more space.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks Sparky (and Sir Advantage). I will do it the hard way ;) What else to do on a New Years day anyway?

Just spent 12 hours replumming and generally messing about with the central heating in the Building where the garage is, because someone overlooked a hole in the roof, Water came Down, spoiled an old working table, which became soft, and the 120 Kg drill on top tilted Down on the central heating, which bent and leaked a few hundreds liter of hot Water all over. Oh well. All good now ;)

Jacques.

The high-temp K-Nuts will withstand up to 425C, are the best for turbo exhaust manifolds, and don't need washers. That's why I chose them, and I've had none come loose, nor any leaks. They're not cheap, though. Also, if I had to take the exhaust manifold off again, I would take the engine out as the hours spent struggling will outweigh and engine-out job.

NB: Aerotight nuts are rated only up to 300C.

2015-03-07 12.41.13.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Thanks I an, great pricure, which clearly shows that more Space is available when Alunox manifold is in place. I think I actually bought those K-nuts and have them somewhere on the shelf.

Anyway, here's some good news: I spent two hours today grinding a 13mm open/ring spanner to be thinner, plus crawling underneath and removing the engine tray plus the 4 small heat shields. That and generally crawling in various positions underneath, brought me some more nuts off the manifold. I have have 6 muts off!  Hey, going slowly but surely towards the new manifold ;)

Happy New Year everyone!

Jacques.

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

07.JPG

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It's a nightmare job. My last but one that I did I used a hard point pound through screwdriver and slowly cut through the nuts. I was replacing them and all the studs anyway. I had to remove it again about 6 months later and they came off no problem. I have never had to remove an engine yet to get it off. Ask again end of Febraury and I will let you know if this is still the case when I take the engine out of the yellow Peril for a partial rebuild.Persevere and you will get there.

Jacques, you might have to 'relieve' the engine mount heatshield to clear No.1 primary tube. It's a case of bending it back once you've got the new unit on the engine.

There are some photos I took of 'Rubik's heatshield' assembly on page 5 of my engine/gearbox thread which should demonstrate how it goes back together if you get stuck.

Margate Exotics.

22 hours ago, ian29gte said:

The high-temp K-Nuts will withstand up to 425C, are the best for turbo exhaust manifolds, and don't need washers. That's why I chose them, and I've had none come loose, nor any leaks.

Great picture Ian but without lock tabs, part numbers A910E2419FA910E2420F,  the studs will unscrew from the head. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

5 minutes ago, jonwat said:

Great picture Ian but without lock tabs, part numbers A910E2419FA910E2420F,  the studs will unscrew from the head. :thumbdown:

Not on my engine they won't, Jon.

I've driven over 2,000 miles since the new manifold was fitted, the studs are still in place, as are the K-nuts, and the manifold hasn't loosened, or fallen off.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

K-nuts and no washers on mine, and everything's still tight after a couple of thousand miles, as it should be.  You'll find that the new manifold allows plenty of room for checking/tightening if necessary. 

• Gold FFM

What do these manifolds add to the car ??

better sound? Better performance? And yes I get the fact it will be a whole load lighter !!

Only here once