Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric vacuum pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric vacuum pump

cor

Hello, ,

does anybody have experience with an electric vacuumpump?

I want to repace the belt driven pump to an electric pump.

Anybody done this?

Does any standard car have this so i can get one from a breakers?

thanks Cor

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Deisels vehicles have electric vacuum pumps for the brake servos as they don't have a throttle :-)

Cheers,

John W

Later 4 pot Esprits have an electric pump.

Didn't the V8s have them as well, if not what did they use to power stuff like the heater direction flaps???

Cheers,

John W

You could do as Travis suggests and fit a tensioner but you could simply use the belt on cars with no vac pump and no PAS pump, which simply relies on there being sufficient grip on a belt.

The cars that have the mechanical vac pump tend to have servo assisted brakes, so the smaller electrical pump used on cars with electrically powered ABS isn't really a great idea, look for a more capable electrical pump such as those used in the hot rod market where they are fitting servos etc. It will greatly reduce your time to de-pressurise the servo between brake activations.

• Gold FFM

When I was having vacuum issues I briefly looked in to an electric vacuum pump and bought a cheap one from ebay. It was crap, extremely noisy (think Scalextric car at full throttle) and would still have to mount it somewhere. I'd never trust it for brakes. As Andy C says above, you'll need something much more capable. My new mech vacuum pump provides about 25 inHG.

All in all it was much easier to replace the mech pump for another one. I have got and empty fire extinguisher bottle that I'm thinking of adding to the vac circuit to act as a reservoir, but don't think I need to fit it now.

Signature not working...

• 6 months later...

Used a vacuum pump of Hella, the larger one, a up32, audi uses the up28,

added a pvc reservoir made of a drainpipe, The vacuum switch is from Festo.

For now it all works, will see how it works on the road.

post-5162-0-92664400-1426707285.jpg

When my vac pump failed i bought one of these kits

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/vacuum_pump_kit_3-_high_performance_kit/?k=:::1914234:17:130544

Sort of worked but I ended up needing to supplement it with a timed relay and one way valve so that the pump would keep running for a few seconds or so after creating the required vacuum. Otherwise it would it would cycle constantly on and off when vac was reached.

Been installed for a few years now.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Jeremy, the festo switch has a adjustable hysterese so it does not switch on and off constantly, one way valve is 

also plumbed in.

The vacuum switch supplied with this kit didn't have a wide enough setting so the pump just switched on and off constantly, hence the addition of a timed relay.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle