Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

You have the upgraded gearshift I noticed. I thought from pictures in my manual that I did, but I don't. What I do have though is the shaft extending out the right side of the box. I could remove my current shift mechanism and fit the newer one. I noticed that your car doesn't have the extension on the left side.

Is it a big improvement over the shift that wraps around the back of the box?

As far as I know, I don't have an upgraded gearshift, I have the gearshift pattern that was originally fitted to the S4s, it's not the later one that was fitted to the GT3s or V8s that has a shaft of some kind that goes around the back of the gearbox.

The only thing I have done is rebuild the translator, and rod end bearings ready for fitting.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Following inspection of premises (and one or two jars of ale), a letter of incorporation has been signed.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Must of made Ian's day all those YELLOW Esprit's on his drive ☺️

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• Gold FFM

I think the colour's growing on him.  He said he's thinking about respraying his S4s.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I'm going back to the books!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

More work with pipework that I feel I should replace 'while the engine's out', it's difficult to determine how much pipework and what, if any, bends I shall need to refit the heater and chargecooler hoses. I'm also taking time to inspect anywhere that pipes or cables might be chafing, and rectifying any issues.

Once I've made the engine bay tidy, I shall start on the fuel tanks. I intend to place them on closed cell sponge, wrap them in sticky backed heat resistant insulation, more sponge on the tops, and cut some new plywood. As the closed cell sponge is much denser than the shite that Lotus used, it's going to be a bit more difficult to get the right height. I may have to trial fit them.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Don't forget the picture windows for the pretty tanks.

This is all great! I'm learning so much here. I am going to install a Clutch Throw Out Bearing this weekend and much of this information is helpful. Thanks for sharing the great photos. I may need fuel tanks and I'm glad to know who can make them.

Rubik's Engine Mount Shields

2015-02-28%2017.12.31_zpsflaxhp0m.jpg

And here's one of the old radius arm bushes, the shims are split into halves so they can be inserted without removing the whole assembly.

2015-03-07%2012.07.31_zpsvuzvlchs.jpg

And it's also a shame that this will be hidden from view -

2015-03-07%2012.41.13_zpstj7qhebt.jpg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Unfortunately, I found them virtually impossible to photograph whilst they were in the car, and by the time I managed to extricate them it was too late. I have spoken to Dave (Changes), and there is a method of fitting them. But if anyone has any photos I too would be obliged for them.

Of course it may be that they all fall into place once I offer them up, but the way things have been going I don't think it's likely!

Margate Exotics.

Covered the superb new alloy fuel tanks in heat resistant material, and simply popped them back in. Well, I say popped, it was more like struggled on the RH side. The other one fell in.

2015-03-13%2017.31.23_zpsoemydfp7.jpg

2015-03-13%2017.31.29_zpsthj84ak4.jpg

There's a stray yellow connector on the LH side, anyone know what that's for? I don't remember unplugging it, but it's possible.

EDIT: note for Glynn - I found some heat shield photos I didn't know I had. I'll post them in due course.

Margate Exotics.

Sparky's said he does not know what the connector is it off hand but if it's yellow it must be important

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Covered the superb new alloy fuel tanks in heat resistant material, and simply popped them back in. Well, I say popped, it was more like struggled on the RH side. The other one fell in.

2015-03-13%2017.31.23_zpsoemydfp7.jpg

2015-03-13%2017.31.29_zpsthj84ak4.jpg

There's a stray yellow connector on the LH side, anyone know what that's for? I don't remember unplugging it, but it's possible.

EDIT: note for Glynn - I found some heat shield photos I didn't know I had. I'll post them in due course.

Thanks!

Yes they are, and I have to say that whilst they were expensive, they are probably worth it. And the service I received when the wrong tanks were supplied was first class.

Here's the photos I took of the engine mount heat shields. Not brilliant, but they might help -

2014-12-29%2015.52.27_zpsnj10xl0l.jpg

2014-12-29%2015.52.31_zpsmtxqjgbj.jpg

2014-12-29%2015.52.35_zpsxnpbsjyo.jpg

2014-12-29%2015.52.41_zpscuinzdjw.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Did the bushes come out easy?  :whistle:

Just when I thought it was all going well, I was tightening up the rear deck release cable, and it's snapped where it goes through the engine bay bulkhead. Doh!

It looks like the threaded outer has simply corroded away where it fits through the bracket, and me doing up the two locking nuts was the final straw. Still, as Sparky has pointed out, at least the deck is off and I haven't got to cut a hole in the car.

Margate Exotics.

How did you do with the bushes? I've noticed a lot of talk about 10-ton presses. Does it work to just use a bolt and some washers to drag them out the old fashioned way?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Things can only get better...

Vanya, he hasn't done those ones yet.  He will soon feel the true pain of Esprit ownership, muhahaha.