Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

How about them lower link pins then? :P

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Oh yeah, I'm selling tickets for that one.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I can't see the problem actually getting the bushes out, it's the lower link stud removal that is likely to be the biggest pain. But hey, I know nothing, so I'm probably not one to listen to.

EDIT: Sparky volunteered to do the lower link studs when we got back from the pub last week.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You plied me with booze and took advantage of me when I was vulnerable.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Replaced the broken tailgate cable this afternoon, and I'd give the job 2/10 on the Esprit scale of bastardness. Renewed the rollover valve pipework, after some head scratching, too.

Now, the two black top-hat drain fittings at the rear of the car that drain water from the tailgate channel - anyone know what I can use to replace them? The adaptors they fit into are 32mm Marley 45 degree spigot bends, with a 35mm convoluted duct pipe, but I can't find the plastic top hats anywhere, so I'd appreciate a steer if possible.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Don't see how it could help, but OK...

Midnight%20Yell%208-7-04.jpg

• Like 1

Replaced the broken tailgate cable this afternoon, and I'd give the job 2/10 on the Esprit scale of bastardness. Renewed the rollover valve pipework, after some head scratching, too.

Now, the two black top-hat drain fittings at the rear of the car that drain water from the tailgate channel - anyone know what I can use to replace them? The adaptors they fit into are 32mm Marley 45 degree spigot bends, with a 35mm convoluted duct pipe, but I can't find the plastic top hats anywhere, so I'd appreciate a steer if possible.

If I remember correctly they are a lotus only part and stupid money like 10 quid each!

If you're messing about with these, how about fitting them like the latest model, on the underside. Involves paint though :(

Yes, they're about £30 + vat each.

I'm not doing paint, so I shall have to devise another method. But they should have been fitted on the underside to start with.

I had a 2002 v8 before my current s4s which had them like this. Although they are hidden for much of the time they look so much classier.

30 quid! Ouch!

Made some more progress today, removed the old tin foil from the boot floor and side panels (not a job to be taken lightly, and took a long time with an electric drill and wire brush attachment), and re-covered the side panels in new Bernard Matthews Norfolk Turkey alloy foil. The boot floor will get done tomorrow, I've got some nice heat resistant material for that. Took the knackered heat shield off the engine cover, does anyone know of a direct replacement, if not I'll make one.

The overflow tank is now nice and clean, the overflow pipe itself had broken half way down, so could have flooded the boot with coolant, so I renewed that.

Replaced the most awkward seatbelt cover, after setting up the tailgate release cable. Let's hope I got it right first time.

Spent a while looking at the tailgate drains, and I'm coming to the conclusion that unless I find something suitable off the shelf, I shall probably machine a pair of fittings to suit.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Am I slowed to say "bootiful"?

A pair? Have you forgotten your bestest pal already?

• Gold FFM

My missus won't even clean the windscreen!

I hope I've got this right, because I couldn't see any other way it could go. Having spent weeks looking at the Chinese puzzle that is the Esprit engine mount heatshield, I thought I'd best bite the bullet, and mock it up. It looks like something you'd find in the Tate Modern, but here goes -

2015-03-30%2015.58.49_zpstickpwxq.jpg

2015-03-30%2015.59.01_zpsr4cvl295.jpg

2015-03-30%2015.59.51_zpsab2wop40.jpg

2015-03-30%2016.00.08_zpsn5fnen86.jpg

2015-03-30%2016.00.21_zps4mgor0wh.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Ian, am I correct in assuming that this has to be assembled after the engine is in the car? I wonder if it's worth fitting the engine mount and leg, then the shields and then screwing the leg to the block?

Anyone done it this way?

Spent all afternoon trying to re shim the valve clearances... wish I had more time to play

Glyn

• Gold FFM

That's it, mate. Easy enough to do with engine insitu now you have some nice pics to reference.