Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thought I'd upgrade the rear suspension bushes to the new Lotus poly ones, so yesterday Sparky (Chief PlusGas Operator and Sprayer for the weekend) and I popped the hubs off, removed the lower link pins and split sleeves, and replaced them with new ones. It was a piece of cake because once the PlusGas was on, the bits almost fell apart by themselves, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

2015-04-09%2017.08.13_zpstxyysvzu.jpg

2015-04-11%2011.42.59_zpsmuob2d48.jpg

2015-04-11%2013.02.23_zpskw4cc8bu.jpg

2015-04-11%2015.48.53_zpsj1d3m30z.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I knew that OU degree in Applied PlusGas would come in useful one day.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Did you use a special tool to insert the bushes, or just a dash of PlusGas?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I really can't understand it when I hear people saying the Esprit lower links are a difficult job. They're fairly basic if you have the right kit, and know how to remove severely rusted/corroded steel from delicate aluminium castings. The split steel sleeves are a doddle to get out, and push the new ones in. Sparky and I were all finished by 3 o'clock, and back on the piss again. We could have had the bushes in too, if he hadn't forced me to drink lots of beer and wine. Oh, and I had to cook dinner for four people. By the way, I do the cooking in my house: it's safer that way.

And of course when touching absolutely anything on an Esprit, you must soak everything in PlusGas. Immerse, would be better. Not that I've got shares in PlusGas.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

It certainly helped with my small pee pee.

• Gold FFM

I believe you 'trumped' me in that arena.

• Gold FFM

OK. Get the hubs and arms off, get 'em down here, and a deal could be done...

PlusGas??? Man I've gotta get a hold of that stuff.... mine are well and truly siezed. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

PlusGas??? Man I've gotta get a hold of that stuff.... mine are well and truly siezed. 

Mine were solid. I doused them in GT85 and WD40 for a week and it made no difference at all. The back one was worst where there's no split collar and the stud was siezed solid in the aluminium. 

Maybe Plusgas is better - wish I'd tried it now...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Right, I think I should point out at this stage that the PlusGas recommendation thing is simply Sparky and I having a bit of banter between ourselves. I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that simply spraying seized lower links with it will ensure that the parts will fall apart with consumate ease, because they almost certainly won't. Mine were all seized solid, so whatever you do, don't underestimate the job because the chances are you'll end up disappointed. The reason we did mine so quickly is as I suggested: We're experienced engineers, we used the correct tools, jigs and equipment, know how to remove seized steel from castings, and at no stage were any hammers employed.

So, if you want to employ the Watford Exotics Bush Company to give your rear end a good going over, then PM Sparky for further details. That's not a wind-up, by the way!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

That sounds a bit naughty.

Yes, well-clarified Ian. You can throw as much Plus Gas, WD40 or weasel piss as you like at this and it'll make very little difference. Bottom line, make sure your stuff is man enough for the job and this isn't a bad task. we had one stubborn sleeve, but that eventually gave up after enough hacksaw time.

Will moose-piss do the job? I believe we have an abundance of it here.

• Gold FFM

I've heard (from Canada) that it's every bit as effective as weasel piss.

• Gold FFM

Used my entire stock at your gaff.

• Gold FFM

Ha! I had a feeling you'd pop by, mate.

So, what is the de-facto way of removal and refitting of bushes without bending links and wishbones? I'm guessing you guys used a press?