Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 62 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just looking at the GAZ damper catalogue. The 1995 onwards Esprit doesn't even get a mention in there, so God knows what I have fitted on the rears!

Might have to have a word with Nitron about their spring rates, though. 425F/550R is way above standard, and I wouldn't want harder suspension as I'm not going on a track.

Margate Exotics.

Finally managed to break out and get some garage time.............

I already knew my tailgate canopy is loose at the sides, and am convinced that it's the source of some (if not all) of the creaking noises I hear whilst driving. It's held on by 8 M5 nuts and washers, 4 at the front end, and 2 on either side. With the tailgate off it's not a bad job to get to the canopy studs, the rubber tailgate seal has to be removed where it covers the nut access holes, and the ABS heated window surround has to be removed by extracting the 5 scrivets and drilling out the pop rivets. Once the surround is off, the front 4 nuts are revealed. Incredibly, the Nylocs and washers were stainless-steel, which makes me suspicious that someone has been there before, as I've yet to find any stainless bits fitted by the factory. This would explain half of it waving around in the breeze.

Bolting GRP to GRP without some kind of insulation is asking for trouble, so I looked to see whether there was any such foam padding, or rubber washers in the parts manual. Sadly, the tailgate is shown as one piece, but it lists 8 M5 Nyloc nuts, 8 flat washers (to sit under each Nyloc nut, but surprisingly a total of 20 Neoprene spacer washers.

Now, I'm not an expert at arithmetic, but no way does 20 divide into 8, and as for availability, Deroure lists the Neoprene washers as a "factory order" (which generally means 'Ha, ha, you must be joking, mate'), and SJ doesn't list them at all. If anyone can shed some light on the issue as to where they go, and in particular what thickness they might be, I'm all ears. It also occurs to me that I could possibly use a Neoprene self-adhesive strip to cushion the two parts, as an alternative to the washers.

Meanwhile, I see the weather is warming up and as the Christmas holiday is approaching, I should be able to get a move on with some other jobs on the list.

Photo 16-12-2017, 15 46 00.jpg

Margate Exotics.

More garage time before I froze, and retired indoors to thaw out. I bloody hate cold weather with a passion, God knows I could never live any further north than here.

Drilled out the old rivets for the window surround, and cleaned up the threads on the canopy, which proved to be undamaged (thank you, God). I found some Neoprene washers on the web, along with some self-adhesive, thin, solid neoprene strip just the right widths, and a box of M6 scrivets. The ABS surround is not too bad, the usual age cracks which I can easily fix, and as is usually the case, it covers a multitude of Lotus manufacturing sins.:rolleyes:

I also had a good look at how the louvres are attached, they look like mild steel screws, the heads of some could possibly present a challenge, but I haven't decided whether to change them for stainless yet. I've also yet to decide whether to replace the tailgate seal, but at least it's available from SJ. I should check the heated rear screen, at least for continuity, but to be honest I've never used it since I bought the car as I don't drive it in the winter, and rearward vision is so bad anyway!

Photo 17-12-2017, 11 40 58.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

The word is that Ian is going to upstage Barry by having his block powdercoated red with yellow polka dots.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

The word is that Ian is going to upstage Barry by having his block powdercoated red with yellow polka dots.

He’s got the outfit to go with that appare52A28CBC-3620-4451-B603-BF8EC87A091A.jpeg.a0c0ff3143026a4416478d5d4b2a5d9f.jpegntly 

• Haha 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, pete said:

@top-plumbermight be joining in that competition

Not if I can fekkin help it....✌️

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

I've ordered up all kinds of things, in amongst them are some braking bits which may or may not herald the demise of the Delco system, that depends on how long it takes to do all the other stuff on the job list, and what Esprit funds are available.

The wife is not happy with the headlining job, and to be fair she's got a point, so wants to rip it out and start again. This is partly my fault because while I had it all stripped, I should have re-sealed the moon-roof tongue slots where they fit into the car. As it was, I forgot, and the first time I washed it after the last winter refurb session, the bloody thing pissed water in on the driver's side, and soaked the headlining. So I dropped it all down again, re-sealed the tongue slots, and put it all back. But the headlining behind the headrail rucked up above the passenger side, and it looks ugly. Of course, most people wouldn't notice it, but I get my ears bent every time she gets in the car. So I'll have to get hold of the trimmer so make sure I can get the same material we used, and get him to re-do the headrail and caaant rails.

On a more positive note, my dishwasher is working perfectly.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

More parts arrived today, oooh, it's like Christmas Day, here!

All the bits to re-fit the tailgate canopy properly have arrived, but sadly the Neoprene washers are still stuck in the Post Office's network, so I won't be putting it back on just yet. On a different note, I now have an SE servo/brake master combo and a Hella UP32 vacuum pump, but they'll be some head-scratching to see what needs to be done to convert them. Meanwhile, the rear crank seal job has been postponed for tomorrow, as I've just been collared for tile grout repairs in a shower.

Margate Exotics.

Separated the servo and master cylinder, and look to be in working order. Described as NOS, they certainly look that way. The black paint on the servo will need stripped and respraying, and I might strip the master to see what the seals are like because a new seal kit is only a few quid.

Photo 20-12-2017, 14 48 58.jpg

Photo 20-12-2017, 14 56 06.jpg

Photo 20-12-2017, 14 56 14.jpg

On a different note, whilst cleaning off the self-adhesive strip from the tailgate, I had a ponder on the heated rear screen, and how it gets power. I've never needed to use it, and had a look to see what the black wires that run through the tailgate, fixed with bolts on both sides. Turns out they're the power to heated screen wires, and they connect through the hinges, so if you want carbon-fibre hinges, you'll have to forgo having a heated screen. I also failed to find the positive wire which feeds the screen, but I guess it'll be there somewhere.

Photo 20-12-2017, 15 35 14.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I am genuinely excited about this!  And that's quite rare.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I am genuinely excited about this!  And that's quite rare.

Indeed, I'm keen to see whether a change improves the braking system. I appreciate that there are some clever, and persistent persons amongst us who have worked very hard to get their Delco systems working to perfection, and I take my hat off to you guys. I believe mine does work perfectly, I just think it's the worst pedal feel I've ever come across, and the ABS puts the fear of God into me every time it kicks in.

As the gearbox is now not going to be finished its overhaul until at least January, I may have the time to start tinkering with it.

Margate Exotics.