Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 82 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

And continuing the theme of “Let’s all send the wrong parts”, the neoprene sponge I ordered to replace the knackered old stuff between the rear wing and the body turned up this morning, was narrower than what I ordered.  Bloody good job I’m getting to the end of the required parts list.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All the cylinder head studs cleaned and finished repairing the coolant stub pipes. On checking, I noticed there was a core plug at the end of the cylinder head I hadn't changed, so I did that. Which was just as well because is was on the point of rusting through. All of them were in a similar state, which makes me think at least one PO hasn't run with the correct coolant mix. I know the car was stood for a very long time too, which won't have helped, either.

I might actually get round to fitting the liners tomorrow, then I'm stuffed until the last main bearing shell pitches up.

IMG_1114.jpg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

What may have contributed to such corrosion, other than running the wrong coolant, is running any sort for too long a period. The anti-corrosion elements are perishable and, with the change of coolant being such a fuss with Esprit, the temptation to ignore would be predictable. Just a thought . . .

Managed to escape to the garage for a while and measure the liner nip heights. They all came up within the specification, so that's a bonus, and my thanks to Dave Lisle for the use of his engine building tools. Post lockdown hangover weariness has set in, so that's it for the day.

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

That's coming along nicely. Maybe one day I'll get around to doing something like this to mine.

Sounds like I'm having similar parts supply frustrations as you, at least I haven't been sent any incorrect parts.... YET!

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Hello Ian,

Just reviewed your postings from April '18 pertaining to the creaking bulkhead noise annoyance, may I ask how many miles driven since and whether still content with your solution?

Cheers

13 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Hello Ian,

Just reviewed your postings from April '18 pertaining to the creaking bulkhead noise annoyance, may I ask how many miles driven since and whether still content with your solution?

Cheers

Steve,  I assume you mean this - ”5mm thick flat bar in the engine bay side, 2mm reinforced rubber jointing between the chassis tab and the GRP, 3mm thick spreader plate over the original plates, and fixed by M10 bolts with nylocs.”

But I can’t take all the credit, I have to thank @Giniw for his insight into suggesting the noise could be caused by the chassis tab working against the GRP, and suggesting I try rubber jointing between them. Without that I really don’t think it would work as well as it does.

I’ve driven the car nearly 7,000 miles since then. And yes, I’m still happy with the solution.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Yes, Ian, those are the discussion details to which I refer, thanks to you and to @Giniw for the insights. Where do you suggest looking for the reinforced rubber jointing, i.e. what is a typical use for the stuff?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drdoom said:

Yes, Ian, those are the discussion details to which I refer, thanks to you and to @Giniw for the insights. Where do you suggest looking for the reinforced rubber jointing, i.e. what is a typical use for the stuff?

Nothing fancy, it’s rubber insertion which is used for water pipe flanges on ships and other industries, it comes in various thicknesses, and it’s composition depends on the fluid being conveyed. In my case I used jointing for water as I had quantity of it left under the bench. 

This kind of thing - https://www.par-group.co.uk/sealing-and-jointing/rubber-sheeting/insertion-rubber-sheeting/

Margate Exotics.

The Loctite arrived today, so I carried on fitting the main bearing housing and shells. New olive for the oil pump pick-pipe, and assembly torqued up. The wife’s new digital torque wrench worked a treat; I spoil that woman. I was pleased to see that the sealant has squeezed out nicely around the block/bearing housing joint, too. Went on to fit the oil pump/auxiliary housing and oil gallery cover, and replaced the oil gallery taper plugs. I’ll give the liners another day to cure before I remove the head, and put the clamps on.

Lockdown is certainly much easier to cope with when there’s an engine to build, and I’m now wondering whether to ration garage time in case it goes on longer than expected.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the link, gratefully bookmarked. Whilst drifting off to slumber last night I recalled the bootlegs of our Wellies appear to be formed from fabric reinforced rubber, so perhaps one might cut sections out of someone's cast-off.

Cheers 

3 hours ago, drdoom said:

Thanks for the link, gratefully bookmarked. Whilst drifting off to slumber last night I recalled the bootlegs of our Wellies appear to be formed from fabric reinforced rubber, so perhaps one might cut sections out of someone's cast-off.

Cheers 

As long as it has rubber on either side, it will tend to grip the GRP and the tab. If it’s a welly boot, then one side will probably be fabric.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Finally got the rear wing foam cut to size and hole punched to our satisfaction. The old stuff was hanging out and waving in the breeze. It wasn’t a hard job as someone had been there before and fitted stainless set screws, although they weren’t tight enough. Looks much smarter now.

As a result, engine progress didn’t go to plan, but I did manage to fit all the pistons and bottom end bearings. Tomorrow’s jobs are cylinder head and sump to fit.

8A22F997-3082-4EDF-95B8-B8D05857D9B7.jpeg

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Nothing beats a damn good shimming.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Indeed not!

I finally finished them off this morning with no further incidents or issues, and put the old cam belt back on for now. I’ll start the Vernier pulley cam sprocket job tomorrow, assuming I don’t get waylaid. This should be fun.....

6A4E6374-B5DB-405D-902A-0618880F266D.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Hats off to you Ian, that's a very clean build you've got there.

Do the verniers make a discernable difference to the engine? What was your reasoning for fitting them, have you changed other things internally to need them or do they benefit a standard engine? I've got too many other things to deal with on mine to have given much time to fully understanding the engines on these yet!

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM

And that's a scientific fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.