Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 28 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

And I'm nearly ready to pull my pipes. I swear there's double the amount of coolant in this car than Lotus say. I've had a shower in most of it, too. Almost as much as in the balance pipe from hell.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Gearchange master had to come out, there was no way they would wriggle past, so another hour's work taking all that lot out. So, there's the good ends, and the bad ends, both pitted to hell, but the forward ends are the worse.

Photo 29-01-2017, 15 20 48.jpg

Photo 29-01-2017, 15 21 27.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Haven't measured them yet, but they're identical, and have a flat depression in them to clear the gearchange master. They also have a very slight curve in them. I'd guess they're around 40mm OD.

The V8 pipes are the same on the RHS, but V* LHS has a small pipe welded to it somewhere.

Margate Exotics.

I suspect the reason why the forward ends are in such a bad state is the addition of the steel bracket to hold the jubilee clips onto each pipe to stop them slipping back and forth. Steel jubilee over the alloy pipe, a bit of road salt and moisture, and off we go - instant battery!

2016-03-26 14.03.34.jpg

2016-03-26 14.04.12.jpg

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

When I saw how awkward the power steering pipes and brake pipes would be to get at above the rack I drowned it in Dinitrol. Hopefully some got on that pesky spring tab alaso!

Well spotted, doubt anyone at he factory foresaw that problem.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Bugger,   What a crazy idea, I am more suprized it has not become a common problem with all later esprits, not the corrosion problem but more the that the vibrations or movements of the pipes has not had that metal clip actually rub through the pipes ? 

I have never seen this on the G cars so i have either missed it or it was hopefully a later upgrade, or downgrade by the looks of it. :(

As Barry says those pipes below look suspicious :sofa:

• Like 1

A

Haha   Barry to true to true ,  more to add to Ians parts shopping list   :thumbup:

One thing on those alloy pipes that keeps bugging me though,  are they generic through the lotus range ?  Maybe not given the different cooling requirements of each different engine over the years,  but what diameter are the pipes, are they a strange size or something, given lotus use to try and use off the shelf parts i would of hopefully thought they would of purchased pipe of the shelf also,  200 quid for two alloy pipes seems expensive for something you probably purchase for about 25 quid and flare the ends out yourself with a cheaply made flaring tool ? or tig weld a raised seam at the ends imo.  

A

The Alloy pipe is a nightmare to bend.

For starters, it's an unusual size so most mandrel bending machines don't have the correct tooling size. The pipe is so soft and the angle so sharp, it tears.

I'm sure it can be done. Im going for my third try - I will heat it this time.

• Like 1

An idea for bending "soft" pipe is to plug one end, fil the pipe completely with very fine sand and then plug the pipe on the other end. Used to work for bending pipes in the past for my model airplanes

Esprit Freak

If you mean the whole pipe Mark, i would presume it would rub through easily,  also sag been so long when full of coolant,  possibilty of internal things rubbing

and also be an absolute nightmare to thread through to the other end if non of the above problems listed did not knacker up the idea in the first place imo.:)

A

• Gold FFM

I repaired a GT3 with a rubber section a couple of years ago - it was holed directly underneath the master gearchange.  The owner elected to have this done (an hour or 2) rather than pulling the engine.  Also (shock! horror!) I replaced mine with copper ends/rubber centre shortly afterward, and did the whole job through the gearchange aperture.  The rubber sits static in the backbone clear of moving parts and doesn't rub on anything.  I'd argue it has greater longevity than the original pipes.  Of course, should I need to pull the engine, I'd evaluate things then.  And I wouldn't do this with the main cooling pipes.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.