Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 29 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

As long as they're sat out of the way of any chafing, I can't see any reason why the four lower pipes couldn't be replaced with standard car heater hose rubber pipe. I would probably have a look at using plastic barbed fiitings instead of copper, but that's just a personal choice.

Different story with the main coolant pipes, they need to be carfully positioned and in my opinion rubber pipe may not be a wise choice. That said, needs must and as a short term fix, it could get a car mobile.

The drawback of using rubber pipe is of course the increase in weight added over that of alloy, hence I've ordered standard alloy replacements.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Could the rubber (or plastic, or silicon) pipe be pulled through the old pinholed alloy pipe? It would then be supported. There would be a slight reduction in cross sectional diameter and flow rate obviously.

As a temporary fix this could be bollox of course, and less practical than Sparkys midwifery through the gearbox aperture, but just abstract thinking out loud!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Any emergency fix is a goer in my eyes Mark  :thumbup:  I have used a piece of scaffold pipe to repair a bursted coolant pipe to get me back on the road quickly, obviously not on the esprit mind :P

A

21 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

Yeah, talking carp out loud is a personal speciality. Would deffo try Sparkys gynacological solution if stuck though.

What, you mean you didn't change the pipes while your engine was out?

Margate Exotics.

No, couldnt see any pitting around the grommets. A previous owner had the chassis waxoyled inside and out and it seems to have done the trick. Blasted more Dinitrol in there aftrwards also.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

1 hour ago, Loose Cannon said:

No, couldnt see any pitting around the grommets. A previous owner had the chassis waxoyled inside and out and it seems to have done the trick. Blasted more Dinitrol in there aftrwards also.

You missed an open goal there, and I can only assume Barry missed it, too.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

On 03/02/2017 at 09:28, Loose Cannon said:

Could the rubber (or plastic, or silicon) pipe be pulled through the old pinholed alloy pipe? It would then be supported. There would be a slight reduction in cross sectional diameter and flow rate obviously.

As a temporary fix this could be bollox of course, and less practical than Sparkys midwifery through the gearbox aperture, but just abstract thinking out loud!

I was thinking the same thing, but the effect on cross section would be substantial. Putting a tube with 5mm walls inside a 40mm pipe would mean the cross section is reduced by about 45%!  

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On Travis' advice I bought a Bosch 69218 pump set last year, and never got to fit it. So, while the tanks are drained I thought I'd have a go.

I managed to carefully tap the locking ring on the top of the pump round enough to release it, and out it came. I suspect that the pump was the one fitted from new, but cannot be sure. The new kit comes with an array of bits and bobs, however as Bosch had kindly omitted to put any instructions or diagrams in the box, I had to work it out myself.

The damper assembly is replaced by a straight piece of tube and a couple of clips, there's a wiring adaptor which fits between the new pump and the original pump connector, and I used one of the white plastic ends with the new black rubber spacer that cushions and supports the lower pump end. The TS9 filter gauze pushes on between the black rubber and over the white plastic end.

Today's job is to put it back after having a look in the tank to see if there are any bits of debris in there. Overall it was an easy job, although I took the decision to remove the seatbelt reel cover, in case it fouled. I may have been able to ease the pump assembly around it, though.

Note for Barry - by my calculations, the balance pipe from hell holds 0.2 litres of fuel. In reality however, we both know it holds at least 10 times that much.

Photo 03-02-2017, 15 08 28 (1).jpg

The kit of bits plus the old pump.

Photo 03-02-2017, 16 08 55.jpg

New assembly.

Photo 03-02-2017, 16 09 08.jpg

New pump assembled.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

I would not use the 0 580 453 477 pump as the Bosch specs are 105 l/h at 3 bar. This is below the maximum fuel requirements of the stock injectors at 100% duty cycle. Whilst you are not likely to run the injectors at that duty cycle often (if at all) it's a concern as the delivery rate will drop off as the boost pressure rises above atmospheric pressure.

The long term ability of the pump to deliver the fuel as it wears that would be a concern to me as well.

Edited by sailorbob
Found the specs of the pump

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Note for Barry - by my calculations, the balance pipe from hell holds 0.2 litres of fuel. In reality however, we both know it holds at least 10 times that much.

Utter bo££ox - that pipe holds close on 2 gallons.......your using the man maths calculator you show the wife again

• Like 2

Only here once

6 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Do you have any recommendation, then?

Hmm, not really. I have a TRE-342 pump sat on a shelf that I'll use when the need arises but I expect it'll cause some faffing around to fit it.

Edited by sailorbob

3 minutes ago, sailorbob said:

Hmm, not really. I have a TRE-342 pump sat on a shelf that I'll use when the need arises but I expect it'll cause some faffing around to fit it.

Fair enough, I guess I'll revert back to the standard GM pump, in that case.

Anyone want a brand spanking new Bosch fuel pump?

Margate Exotics.

I'm running that pump at high altitude (meaning greater boost than you would at sea level).  I'm also monitoring my A:F with a real time meter with graphing over time.  I'm not running lean at full boost, and I also have slightly larger secondary injectors (200cc/min rather than 190cc/min).  That BOSCH pump cured a lean condition that I had with the X180-R pump and the S4s MEMCAL....

The S4s does have slightly higher fuel requirements than the SE though.  The SE and the S4 do use the same pump part number, the Sport 300 had a higher flow pump, and the S4s is not specified...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Utter bo££ox - that pipe holds close on 2 gallons.......your using the man maths calculator you show the wife again

I thought that calculator worked the other way around? A reading of six inches actually shows up as nine inches to the girlfriend?

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)