Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 38 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Do you think the new insulation will cause any trouble fitting the bulkhead carpet, given that it must be a tad thicker than the original? In particular lapping under the rear window surround?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Loose Cannon said:

Do you think the new insulation will cause any trouble fitting the bulkhead carpet, given that it must be a tad thicker than the original? In particular lapping under the rear window surround?

Oh shit... Mark, now look what you've done.....

As we speak Ian will off to the garage with his thickness gauges, measuring reduction of cabin space by the square mm, doing window surround endfloat tests. I'll be barraged with carpet density and compression test questions and the effects of self tapper tightening torques and pile revival rates under certain loads in specific atmospheric conditions.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Nah.  He'll just move the bulkhead.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I remember using your SE exhaust as a reading light.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

9 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Well, despite all the piss-taking and doom-mongering, it's actually easier to compress than the original material. I'm considering placing some on the rear end of the chassis box-section, too. I've also sealed the gaping holes where the A/C pipes, parking brake cables and wiring loom penetrate the bulkhead into the cabin.

I noticed that where the oil cooler pipes enter and exit the chassis, there's big gaps around the grommets, so could also do with sealing up. I just wonder whether the chassis backbone transmits noise into the cabin, and it's an easy fix.

IMG_3977.JPG

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

10 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That's just gonna cock up the speed readings on radar guns and get you loads of tickets :lol:

I'm reliably informed that the lead absorbs radar pulses very well. From what I hear, you'd be as well to get some fitted.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

On 1/28/2017 at 18:35, ian29gte said:

To be fair, Barry are already both fully paid-up members of the exclusive Hellpipe Club. That's a proper man's club, and not to be confused with those limp-wrested, upper-class pansies in the Hellfire Club.

The balance pipe has already been out once, and it's actually in very good condition indeed, having been sandblasted, inspected and painted, 'cos there was absolutely no way on God's green earth I was ever going to take it out again.............where's that facepalm emoticon?

:lol:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

At least the aliens won't be able to read your mind.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

I noticed that where the oil cooler pipes enter and exit the chassis, there's big gaps around the grommets, so could also do with sealing up. I just wonder whether the chassis backbone transmits noise into the cabin, and it's an easy fix.

Any air flow through the backbone and around those oil pipes should help cooling I'd have thought. 

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

At least the aliens won't be able to read your mind.

Probably just as well, otherwise their flying saucer would be up on axle stands with the warp coil removed.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

Any air flow through the backbone and around those oil pipes should help cooling I'd have thought. 

There's very little airflow through the chassis, the only holes are maybe tiny gaps where the main coolant pipes fit through the angled grommets at the front, and the oil cooler pipes at the rear. The oil cooler pipes at the front have a large piece of squashy foam wrapped around them to cushion them where they penetrate the chassis which seals up the hole. The four smaller charge-cooler and heater pipes are tight fits in their grmmets, front and rear. I guess there's only the heater pipes on the V8, though. One of each pipe is carrying cooled fluid back from the heat exchangers, too. The heater pipes will either be doing the same, or with no flow if the heater valve is off.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
57 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Probably just as well, otherwise their flying saucer would be up on axle stands with the warp coil removed.

And we won't even ask about the location of the anal probe

• Like 1

Only here once

Probably a bit late on this for you Ian, as I've been super busy with Work and trying to talk over a UK based Lotus parts supplier to actually supply what I paid for 9 months ago, but I vote magnolia leather trim for the interrior, and green piping on seats to supplement it.

And please do not choose a dark grey carpet. Not for looks, nor for covering shoe marks etc. It's so dull looking. And your Esprit is an absolute piece of Automotive class.

So, I would recommend brg carpet. Magnolia leather inserts for handbrake, map pocket etc.

Then I would think of maybe getting all thread for sewing the leather in brg.

Finally, if you haven't got it already, I would recommend a full leather trim as in leather for roof section and all edges and pillars. My own Esprit was factory ordered with that trim, and it looks so much better, easier to keep clean and unlike the ordinary grey glued on woven material, it does not fall off.

Matts can be argued, but generally speaking, I'd say brg with magnolia leather binding. But do keep the matts in the same colour as the carpets. Contrasting matts look a bit odd and out of place in many cars.

Just my independent two-pence ;)

Willy-nilly, really looking forward to seeing the final result!

Btw, that green leathered Esprit showed ealier on, is not the only one (and yellow outside).

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Despite the best efforts of UK Hide, having not only supplied the over-priced hides, they also sent the wrong replacement, the leather will be magnolia, and I have prevailed against the wife with green piping for the seats, but not with the BRG carpet. I may have to eat tongue and cold shoulder for a while, but that's nothing new.

The carpet is kind of a wheat colour, and is in SteveV8's capable hands. I intend to have the GRP moon roof, headrail and caaant rails trimmed in magnolia leather, but I noticed there are some bits on the cabin roof around the roof hole and rear window that need some extra trimming, so we will see if I have enough for that.

If anyone has an S4s or early V8 and can let me have some photos on the roof lining areas, that would be helpful.

Margate Exotics.

Sound system - Just debating whether to line the bulkhead speaker recesses with the lead sandwich material. I think this could be a good move, but not entirely sure yet, I have to do a bit of research. The stereo sound in the cabin was very poor when I bought the car, most of the low-end being drowned out by the racket from the exhaust and engine noise. That said, the head is an old radio-cassette so a modern unit would probably give an improvement. As to the speakers, I have no idea how old they are whether they're replacements or if they are the originals, and again it might be beneficial to replace them with something a little more up to date. Strangely, although I'm a muso, I'm not actually too bothered about playing music in a car, so I wouldn't want to spend too much time of cash on it. It probably wouldn't bother me if there was no sound system, but I'd have to have something to fill the holes!

Margate Exotics.