Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alunox performance chargecooler... C'mon guys! Let's do this! - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Alunox performance chargecooler... C'mon guys! Let's do this!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That would depend on whether you believe that the front mounted radiator or the pump are sized exactly correctly for the chargecooler heat exchanger.  

The data I posted here http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/57230-uprated-charge-cooler-from-alunox/page-4

was for a stock radiator, uprated electric pump, and stock SE Chargecooler.  You can see that temperatures climb with boost and then go lower again fairly quickly.  So obviously at some point the system cannot keep up forever with the heat generated.  Temps start to rise, but is it due to the size of the chargecooler, or the size of the radiator, or the entire system?  We'd need to see data from a larger chargecooler to really be able to tell.  That way you could see if the extra heat  removed from the intake air is able to be absorbed into the cooling system.  

MAT%2520with%2520boost.JPG

The upgrade to a good quality electric pump is a good idea anyways.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

+10 on upgrade to electric pump! Driven my 1994 S4 a few times now on spirited runs since the installation. Immediately after each time I put my hand on the top of the chargecooler to check temp. Whereas when had the old mechanical OEM pump the top of the chargecooler was barely warm or slightly cool, with the electric pump it has been very, very cool to the touch! Do not have dyno numbers on OEM vs electric pump though seat of pants definitely says YES!

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to pass judgement on whether the heat exchanger and pump as fitted by Lotus are sized correctly without any corresponding data. But if you consider a system as a pipeline, the diameter should be the same tnroughout. Any constriction or enlargement are not desirable for good flow.

That said, what I don't know is if one of the components in the current Esprit charge cooler system is causing a constriction of enlargement in the system, and I'm loathe to alter what I have without proof.

Margate Exotics.

Interesting that you brought up the pipeline example, because that is exactly how the chargecooler functions.

The flow is at a certain diameter when it leaves the turbo outlet, as it enters the chargecooler box, there is a rapid expansion to a larger diameter (or even larger in the case of the Allunox), that rapid expansion causes the pressure to decrease, and the temperature as well.  The thermal energy is conducted into the coolant and carried off, the air then has to re-compress to flow into the horn  of the plenum(chargecooler inlet and outlet diameters are the same), now with a lower temperature.  So sometimes you do want your pipeline to vary ;)  So the Lotus Chargecooler system is a gas cycle similar to the Carnot cycle for refrigeration, but without the phase change.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Where I was coming from with my pipeline analogy, was that a system must be matched, and I'm wary of any changes to one part of it without ensuring a balance is maintained. Now I don't know if Lotus got it right, or wrong, but I'm not minded to spend a shed-load of cash on a new charge-cooler, if it requires a new heat exchanger in order to make it work to its best efficiency.

Despite this, I have put my name down for the Alunox triple rad-pack though, but that's more to do with the coolant radiator than anything else.

Margate Exotics.

the core seems to be a standard size so there may not have been much of economical choice for Lotus.  the cross section area for air is probably slightly larger than the inlet area.  probably most desirable is to have the areas very similar and the cores in series instead of parallel as with the larger chargecoolers...if only another core could fit where the secondary injectors go.

quite likely the front exchanger can deal with the extra heat with the assumption that high boost occurs at significant road speeds.

I would love to see some comparative data with same turbo and boost levels.  I doubt the decrease in MAT slope is worth the cost IHMO.

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Alternatively, you may buy two alloy CXRacing Universal Liquid/Water to Air Intercoolers (11"x 9.5"x 3.5" each) from the eBay and cut off one side tank on each one. Weld them together and you’ll get a 10”D x 9”W x 3.5”H double pass core for $250+ time (if you pay someone to weld it up).

Note: any core higher than 3.5” will necessitate engine cover deletion.

Also see:  http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 4 weeks later...

Put me down tentatively. I've already got an electric chargecooler pump and will be removing the A/C and connecting the two rads at the front together as per the sport 300 when I do the timing belt.

Would the piping under the car need enlarging too or does that not have as much of an effect? 

So, will this smaler sized Mk. II version find the needed Space under the SE bay cover, or will that have to be modified?

And will it also fit the later S4 style rear lid, without cutting?

Can this mod stand alone, or is a chip or something else needed? (i mean required)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hm, I'll beter read it agein, then. But I mean from someone who actually did the mod with this Mk. II.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Off to start my Laverda for the first time, this season  ;)

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Tommy. :welcome:

Duck over to the Introductions section and say hi in there as well. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi, I am interested in this charge cooler when is the deal going to be done. please let me know and the cost. I have spoken to leon at Alunox today 12/3/15 and he is waiting for the order.Thanks Dave.

• Like 1