Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tailgate drains? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tailgate drains?

I could do, shame they weren't done like that to start with, but that would mean painting, and I don't really want to do that if I can help it right now, what with all the other work I've got piled up.

I did see some plumbing fittings in B&Q that might be suitable, but I'd have to machine them on the lathe to get them to fit, and they're a 19mm ID, not that I think it matters too much. Homebase had some pipe plugs that might suit, but I haven't found anything the right size as yet, and nothing in black, either.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Jons' link looks good. Yachting suppliers?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

John, those fittings are too large, but thanks anyway. I have looked at marine skin-fittings, and found some that might possibly be suitable, albeit with some modifications. The thing with the originals, is that the top flange is very thin, as clearly if it stands too proud, water will tend to sit around the fitting, rather than drain. Actually, the whole thing is very thin.

The one thing I'm puzzled about is why the originals have such a large diameter. Small pieces of debris might pass through, but a British Standard waterlogged leaf is unlikely to do anything else but clog up the hole, or just sit in the drain channel. There is another possibility if I can come down to a 19mm drain diameter, and it also very cheap, too.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If you come up with an answer, mate, source 4! A king's ransom awaits...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I understand that the large drain diameter was a direct involvement of Colin Chapman. The original drain design was a small diameter pipe...but he pointed out that the sort of leaf clutter that was common would instantly block such a drain, and insisted on the large diameter leaf proof ones finally used. Mine have never blocked in the past 27 years of ownership, whereas I have had drains block on Audis and Fiats and Renaults......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I understand that the large drain diameter was a direct involvement of Colin Chapman. The original drain design was a small diameter pipe...but he pointed out that the sort of leaf clutter that was common would instantly block such a drain, and insisted on the large diameter leaf proof ones finally used. Mine have never blocked in the past 27 years of ownership, whereas I have had drains block on Audis and Fiats and Renaults......

I'm not disputing what you say John, but looking at the tailgate I reckon we could get away with smaller diameter drains. The only car I've ever had blocked drains on was my MGZT in the front bulkhead, and that was due to a piss-poor design of drain tube.

Of course, we all check the Esprit's oil and coolant before we drive off don't we, so it should be easy to see if the tailgate channel is waterlogged. Both the convoluted pipes on my car were cracked, downstream of the dranhole, no doubt allowing rainwater into the boot for ages before I discovered the problem, despite the fact they were clear of leaves or other debris.

Whatever, I'm on the case, although it might take a while. The incredibly thin original black top-hats look like something that came out of a toilet waste assembly, from B&Q, but this is to be confirmed or otherwise.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If it was very long maybe. :shock:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I have used PVC pipes from plumbing supply store and spray painted them black. Also, much easier  access to the tail light bulbs.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?mod_id=1624&tab=mods

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

It's a shame there's three rivet holes to fill!

I haven't found anything to fit the original hole yet, but I'm thinking of machining a fitting out of plastic (haven't got that far yet) that has a flange, with a spigot protruding up to the same level as the tailgate channel. I may then rivet, or Sikaflex it in.

Margate Exotics.

This may seem implausible but when I took mine off and cleaned then up, they had a tiny 'marley' stamp on them so the originals must have come from the plumbing supplier. 

I've just had a look at mine, now I'm not sure if they are standard or if they've been replaced but if they are they are a white plastic fitting which is threaded but fitted from underneath & is held in place by 3 small counter sunk holes screwed from above. If these are standard they do indeed look like a domestic 1 1/4" un-slotted basin waste ( which might explain the Marley bit ) & would normally have a chrome ring that would fit through the basin to hold the threaded section below, the basin plug would then fit into the chrome ring & the 1 1/4" trap would screw on below. If so it looks like Lotus have just drilled holes & self tapped them into the plastic. I've had a quick search but could only find brass basin wastes but plastic ones should be available, they just need to be un-slotted type.

Phil.

• Like 1