Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turbo #3 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbo #3

As per title ,popped my turbo yesterday after a 'spirited' over take ,lots of smoke and a whining sound followed by a sinking heart and a depleting wallet.These cars test the patience of a saint,when they are good they are very very good but when bad....garage is of course trying to determine cause of failure i am errring towards wastegate actuator but will wait for diagnosis.

Nick S4s (less) 

ETA. I mean 5th Turbo not 3rd........my mind was obviously trying to be kind to me 

Simplest things first.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep i think the culprit(s) ,are a chipped engine and a free flowing exhaust and an over speed,but to be fair this one did last 8 years.Currently working on a solution,one being de-chipping,i did notice it was over starting to over boost a fair bit,one of those ,'i must get around to looking at that ' things.My car is like a beautiful woman when she is good she is very very good  and conversely when she s bad she is expensively bad.Suck it up and move on. (i do hope my Mrs doesn't read this) 

Eta .To correct appalling spelling

Simplest things first.

yeah... my question is how are they failing?

Bearing ruined?  Shaft seized?  Seals blown? Cracked turbine housing? broken wastegate?

I've seen a hot lean burn crack the turbine cast iron, and cause the waste gate to snap off.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Always check the oil supply to the turbo when fitting a new one on any car.....

And the oil return pipe

Saves tears later if there is an issue.....

Only here once

Picked the car up today and what happened was that the waste gate rod had worn and caused itself to partially sieze under certain conditions hence causing the car to over boost and eventually destroy the turbine(see pic) .So if i had taken notice of when the car started to over boost more than previously and checked the waste gate rod with some thing as technical as a spanner i would have noticed that it wasn't  free and  smooth and not hanging up i would have saved myself a few bob.

http://s131.photobucket.com/user/fflyingdog/media/CameraZOOM-20150429120550609.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s131.photobucket.com/user/fflyingdog/media/IMG_1413.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Simplest things first.

dubious

I would think engine damage would occur long before turbo failure if that was truly the cause...

unless it was a Chinese turbo

there are some guys on this forum that are much more knowledgeable in turbos than I however

maybe one of them will chime in

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

How much was it overboosting? Did it peg the gauge or?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8