Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Eletre - Page 9 - Eletre & Emeya Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Eletre

auRouge

The higher driving position and sense of security (due to being surround by lots of metal) are far more appealing to most SUV drivers than any off road ability. SUVs are here to stay, unfortunately. On some roads in the SE of England, they already seem to outnumber any other single type of vehicle. 

4 hours ago, Mister_Tad said:

Now that looks rather excellent - I was trying to visualise something the other day and I just couldn't, but that's perfect. I can't quite figure out how they're going to make it work though. The arse has strong FF overtones, and that's amongst my favourite cars of the last decade.

I think other sports car manufacturers have gotten away with it because of a) badge appeal and b) creature comforts. I.e. The cabin of a Levante is a really *really* nice place to be and you get to tell your mates "I have a Maserati", at half the price of one of their "real" cars as a bonus.

We (royally speaking) give Lotus a pass for having an aftermarket infotainment system, using certain interior furnishings befitting of a 15yo supermini, and on-paper performance stats that aren't always up to the rest of the pack in an £80k+ Evora because of the personality of the car and the drive.  I don't see how they can give an SUV a Lotus personality, and I don't see the the market tolerating what I'm assuming to be a £50k+ SUV that ins't up to scratch inside the cabin and on paper with rivals. If you're making a car for the mass market, you need to actually satisfy the mass market, than that means things like whizzy animations in a fully digital binnacle, indicator stalks that aren't made by Fisher-Price, HP/Torque/0-60 figures that are lined up the the rest.

There's always Volvo for the interior and infotainment problem, but then there's the challenge of not ending up with what's basically an XC60 wearing sportier clothes. What happens with the drivetrain will be interesting as well - to me the S/C Toyota V6 is out (at least on its own) because mass appeals means lots of mid-range turbo-punch, but maybe some torque-fill from electrification? I don't think since Volvo standardised on 2.0 4-pots that they have any engines fitting of the Lotus badge - even if the total system power of the T8s are ~400bhp, they're just not sports SUV material IMO.

I'm not naysaying, actually quite excited about the prospect and hope it works, I just think it's going to be *really* interesting to see how it pans out.

The production of that thing does raise very interesting challenges for Lotus, no question. I'm going to remain optimistic about it. I think the the production objective for the SUV is quite small when compared with the big players out there. Off course, Geely may want to produce a lot more of these but the initial goal was 15 to 20 thousand vehicles a year. The sector is crowded but most Lotus sport utility vehicles would be sold in Mainland china, a fraction would be sold in Europe and the US could get it too, as the platform is probably going to be a global one now that Geely is involved. Car News China was hinting at the car being fairly advanced already, for them it seemed like a no brainer this car would be set to use the CMA platform (XC40, and Lynk 01).  I'm not so sure it is that advanced but with rapid prototyping these days...

The reason for my optimism on this vehicle being as Lotus as it needs to be  is that it will use the CMA architecture. So in fact Lotus would only have to respect the transverse engine layout and the hard points relative to the firewall, pedal set and steering wheel... The rest is all toolkit which Lotus would be free to use or not, just like LEVC did on the new London Taxi which uses CMA hard points but its own homebuilt bonded aluminium extrusions chassis. The LEVC Chairman, Carl Peter Foster, already said that Lotus would have access to it if they wanted to.  If we exclude the works that needs to be done on the parts that will be visible on the outside, anything beneath the skin could be cost really effective.

Lotus can and realistically will bring in all the Volvo cabin tech but the design of the cabin itself could still feature round air vents and other details that would distinguish it from the Volvo offering. This thing is set to be what Geely wants it to be, a sport & luxury small crossover with a price range of US$ 55K base to US$ 100k for the top spec fully loaded.

Now the powertrain is a question. Yes the car world is keen on downsizing and Volvo doesn't have a V6, but Geely does. The Geely V6 is a fairly recent design, on paper this engine is pretty close to a GR-FE, it is a 3.5l (3456cc) transverse V6 with some 270bhp and 326nm of Torque at 4700 rpm on the Emgrand GT. These numbers are fairly pedestrian nowadays but this engine is said to be Euro VI compliant in terms of emissions so it is a base to work from, if Lotus sticks to V6 for the foreseeable future.   Lotus could use that block and it coud be upgraded with Volvo's Drive-E tech, or they could also not go with the Drive-E tech and let Lotus engineering do its thing with it. Once tuned this could be a suitable engine for the top spec and a Drive-E 2L would be adequate for the base model once tuned. Then since JMG said it himself in the autocar interview a hybrid model is not off the table even-though he said not that long ago that hybrids were a bit of a lose-lose solution.  

And as for the production, it may be done in China on the XC40 production line to keep the cost down, but I assume that alternatively, it could be also produced on LEVC production in Coventry depending on how successful the LEVC Taxi is, as JMG stayed quite coy on the matter saying that the production for non sports cars was still to be determined. 

Geely and Volvo just splashed some money on a bespoke factory/atelier for Polestar in Chengdu to produce around 500 cars per annum. Could Lotus gets its own small sized factory somewhere on the Chengdu campus, it would sort of make sense if that SUV is only the first of a few new models?   

• Like 1

Lotus Etna would be a good name for it and they probably have that moniker registered from the Esprit prototype days. 

If the intent of the leak was to get a feeling for how people would react to the look of the SUV, then it is a success, media seem to rather like it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the Lynk & Co 02  a crossover coupe by Geely's global brand for the millennials and uh it looks like something Lotus could use as the perfect base for the SUV. it is probably slightly smaller than Lotus upcoming  SUV but i'm pretty sure the Lotus crossover will be just as low to the ground 

lynk-02-1-1.jpg?w=846&ssl=1

lynk-02-2-1.jpg?w=855&ssl=1

This rear end is very sporty looking.

All started by Nissan with their Qashqai and a very successful vehicle that has been for them.

Coming round to the idea of a Lotus SUV, but only if it is sporty, lightweight, distinctive and well driving.  Here's hoping.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 3 weeks later...

I understand your point but Lotus need to get more vehicles out the door and this does appear to be a rather substantial market. Fingers crossed that it goes well and allows Lotus to continue to manufacture the sports cars that we all love.

• Like 1

A Lotus SUV around the size of the Macan or Q5 would be nice.  The Q3 is nice too (I drive the girlfriend's Q3 often), but it's a bit small.

I recently bought a Cayenne Turbo, and I'm sure Lotus would do much better with the design of the wiring harness and the electronics... they can't possibly do worse than Porsche did! I also think the Esprit 910 engine is probably more robust and better engineered than some things that I have read about the Porsche 4.5L and 4.8L V8...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I say bring it on be nice to see a other Lotus on the road once a month instead of one, once every 6 months if your lucky, Lotus need to get more cars through its doors. The automotive industry is changing at a massive rate you have to keep up with the current trends or you die and I am sure that's not we want for the brand. Sorry to say but please get your heads out of the sand, SUVs sell by the bucket load.

6 hours ago, Bibs said:

Lambo's effort, the Urus. 641bhp, 2,200kg (:X) and £165k. 

cO8J3cG3S8qnhCtauO0dzQ?w=2200&h=1238&fm=

This is going to be a frikkin' monster! Really looking forward to some journos filming some yumps in these. :thumbup:

0-60 in 3.6 seconds and on to 190mph but with its huge 440mm CC brakes stopping it from 62mph in just 34 metres. Crap it might be, but boring it won't. 

7 hours ago, clivef38 said:

Boring piles of crap that dont't fit into tesco parking spaces where they spend most of there time.

Overhere we see them more around Whole Foods but same same,  I see your point.

8 hours ago, Bibs said:

Lambo's effort, the Urus. 641bhp, 2,200kg (:X) and £165k. 

cO8J3cG3S8qnhCtauO0dzQ?w=2200&h=1238&fm=

2200 kg not that bad considering that thing is  basedon the 2440kg Bentayga,  Which means it is 200kg lighter...    if we compare it to a luxo barge like the 2018 Mercedes S Class 2070kg it is really not that bad, I mean yes it is lardy, despite all the carbon fiber but really not that bad 

I still expect a potential Lotus' take on the SUV segment to come in as a compact crossover, the Macan weighs in at  around 1865kg using high strength steel while the brand new XC40  weighs around 1730 kg also using high strength steel and other steel based alloys. Should Lotus use aluminium intensively and use the Drive-E 2l -  4cyl , they could get close to their 1600kg especially if they do a 2WD. At the top end some extra  carbon fiber could help contain the weight of an hybrid powertrain.

As for the URUS, it's looking better than a Bentayga, but money permitting I would choose a Velar which I consider to be a more elegant solution.  

On ‎27‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 15:55, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I fear Lotus will be much too late to the SUV party. Too much established big-hitter competition out there already. When the owners of these cars realise that they're only getting 30-something MPG and that the only off-roading they do is parking on someone else's verge outside Amelia's school, they'll no longer be flavour of the month. This may be a controversial view, but I think they should just knock the SUV on the head before it's too late and leave that to Volvo.

Exactly this, this Segment is already filled, Lotus should try to find a niche where they could be leader or semi-leader not sheep Nr. 5001 at the end of the row - what about 4 door coupe with room for 4 adults, thinking panamera in a more compact, semi lightweight Lotus way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy1969 said:

Exactly this, this Segment is already filled, Lotus should try to find a niche where they could be leader or semi-leader not sheep Nr. 5001 at the end of the row - what about 4 door coupe with room for 4 adults, thinking panamera in a more compact, semi lightweight Lotus way?

That is what I would be buying too, but you do not see as many Panameras (or Rapides) as you see Cayennes or Macans. Masses want a "high ride". I do not see Lotus attempting to start a new niche in their current situation and broader environment.

• Like 1

@theelanman Yip, now I remember ;-) Yes would be fine, in a way a "Lotus Excel 3.0"

@Arregueti in munich there are not that few Panameras (Rapids very rare) seems that panamera is more "Business express" and Cayenne more Chelsea tractor / City car .....unfortunately I believe you are right with your judgement

8 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

The uber saloon segment has not caught on fire the same way the luxury high rider did... The Panamera's done ok, it managed to crack a bit of the Mercedes stronghold, but if you look at the Aston Martin Rapide, the Maseratis and even dare I say the Jaguar XJs have not been best sellers lately. But JMG's initial plan did include a luxury sedan so it maybe more a matter of when and not if to see a successor to the Carlton/Omega.    

Lotus wanting to join the SUV bandwagon is absolutely, it doesn't matter if they are late to the party, they won't have to sell a million of it just 5 to 10 thousands, and it would be a game changer for the company. The Chinese market alone could eat it up with proper marketing by the owners. 

The SUV could also accommodate the extra equipment required by an EV version more discretely due to the high riding frame, the batteries could be installed lower than they would be in a Lotus sedan, which would be, by DNA, low to the ground. And if there's a segment Geely could make sure Lotus is not too late to the party it is EVs.  If they get the SUV to come out in 2020 and get an EV variant by 2022 it will be just in time.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...