Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
FUEL TANK LEAKING - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

FUEL TANK LEAKING

Hi Everyone

Have been having fuel smell for a while. Started the usual checks and have replaced the hose that runs over and across the top.( which did have 2 splits around the bends )

Checked all other hoses related to the fuel line including the ones that to the the canister. 

Roll over valve removed as found to be very rusty so will replace that at a later stage when part arrives.

Now with all the hoses working correctly it seems that a higher pressure it must create and hence now there is a drip directly under the RH fuel tank (one with the fuel pump).

Looked under car earlier and it looks rusty where I think it is the drain nut.

So is it possible to remove the tank without taking the engine out as at this point I do not want to do a major overhaul on the engine parts. Just want to fix this tank for now as I have plans to do a major engine job at a later date.

Any suggestions will appreciated greatly as usual.

PS Car is S4S 1995

Thanks 

Ameer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The RH tank is easier than the left to remove, with the engine "in situ". Operative word is EASIER...you should remove the intake manifold. And it still requires a lot of grunting and groaning...

Have you removed the undertray under the front of the engine? This exposes a fist-size hole in the bodywork with which you can verify if the tank is leaking.  (There is a pad under the tank, made of carpet jute, that will be SOAKED if the tank is indeed leaking)

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

If you check my engine removal thread, you may find one or two photos that might be of some use to you. Whatever, even with the engine out, I found it to be tedious job, and there's a lot of things which need removing to get them out. Good luck!

Margate Exotics.

The job is easier if you are going to replace the tank, as opposed to repairing it, because you can cut off the pipe that goes through the body to the lower crossover tube. Makes a huge difference in the struggle to get it out.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Hi Sanj

I have started to take things apart today and the the 3 bolts on the air box wall are not easy to take out. They seem to have corroded to the fastener and now spins round and round. 

what else do I have to take out in order I dont waste time removing things I dont need to touch. 

Ps how do I drain the fuel out? Is that the nut at the bottom in the the big hole. Do I take out the fuel pump as well.

The tank does look very rusty from the the top view so I guess it must be worse at the bottom. 

Thanks 

Ameer

Hi Ameer,

I think people suggest taking the fuel feed off the engine side of the pump and using the pump to drain the fuel off the tanks.

Good luck with the removal, it's not easy, but well worth it, even pinholes can be disastrous!

The airbox wall fasteners you mention, you will have to either grind or drill the tops of the bolts off, then drill out the old rivnuts below. Clearly, you need to fit new ones to replace them, too.

Removing the fuel - I would not personally use the car's fuel pump to remove all the fuel. The will almost certainly be a load of sediment and possibly water at the bottom (there was in my tanks) and I wouldn't want that going through my fuel pump. I used one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pneumatic-9-Litre-Air-Car-Engine-Brake-Gear-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-Bleeder-/400890689855

You're not really supposed to use it for petrol, but it worked a treat. Remember it's unlikely you will remove all the fuel and as the balance pipe is the lowest point, so be prepared to get wet with about a pint when you take them off. Put your cigarette out first!

Margate Exotics.

I found the drain plug easiest to empty the tanks. It does help if there's no more than 20litres of fuel left, so you don't have to switch jerrycans while the fuel is pouring out!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

To clarify, the one in the last photo was a recent replacement tank from Lotus, so I guess they changed the sump design for some reason.

Still no drain plugs though, and still a pain to empty!

Margate Exotics.

Both the original tanks on my SE and the replacement aluminum tanks had a drain plug on the RHS. And Ameer also mentioned a plug, So I thought it was standard?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

All I can say is that my tanks didn't have any drain plugs, and my 1993 onwards Lotus parts manual don't show any, either. That's not to say that earlier cars didn't have them, though. Even if drain plugs were fitted, the balance pipe still remains full of fuel, as I found out to my cost!

Margate Exotics.

No drain plugs on my S4. I had to remove the balance pipe to drain. Massive PITB.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I wonder if the drain plug being refered to is the banjo  fitting in the bottom of each tanks that connects to the hose that connects both tanks together.

The drain plug on GM fuel injected cars is a bolt and washer in the right hand tank, at the bottom of the round sump into which the fuel pump is fitted. The picture posted by Ian does not resemble any SE/S4/S4s tank I've ever seen.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Have done several fuel tank re-furbs and not sure why your tanks would be different on that side of the pond but this is what all the ones I've seen look like.

post-54-0-67508100-1430706385.jpg

1995 S4s

My RH tank was a replacement, fitted not long before I bought the car. As I said, it was a Lotus part, so must have been whatever they were supplying at the time. Perhaps in that case it was a V8 tank, although I have no idea why the design was changed, possibly it was cheaper to make! Whatever, even if there is a drain plug fitted, the balance pipe will still be full of fuel.

Margate Exotics.

HI Guys

Been away from the car for a few days as busy with work. 

I will follow the instructions from above and report back later.

Thanks

Ameer

Ameer,

Check this thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/x180-esprit-turbo-fuel-tanks-diy-265762/

Tanks are different, but the removal procedure is the same.

Do not re-con the old ones, ethanol blended petrol will devour them anyway. Even epoxy is flaking in a couple of years.

Replace with corrosion resistant aluminum tanks.

MrDangerUS

hi Guys

Got the tank out and looks like the bottom edge on one side has pin holes. Now i need to either refurb the old tank or get a new one as this is now related to cost. 

I also need to find this neoprene foam rubber as everyone seems to recommend that. 

Thanks for all your help

Ameer

I also need to find this neoprene foam rubber as everyone seems to recommend that. 

Ameer

As an alternative, you can leave the bottom pad out. Just protect the lower lip by gluing a slit piece of silicone tubing along the seam.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 1 month later...

HI Everyone

Just to update on the tank job. All is done and fitted back and now no more smell at all. I did not take pictures as this is shown by other members in their respective posts.

I had the tank refurbished and it comes with lifetime warranty and according to the guy he said you could sit the tank in water and it will not rust with the coating they use to protect the metal.

We will see if this is true in time but for now no more Lotus perfume as some people here call it. 

Now the overhead pipe was also replaced as it had cracked in 2 places. Since this has been done I noticed the car drives a lot smoother than ever before, maybe it holds the vaccum better and fuel must feed better to the injec

Once again thanks for all the help given in this.

Ameer