Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Demand for ITG intake - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Demand for ITG intake

Would you buy an ITG intake?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve spoken to ITG, a few delays since the contact I had left ITG for pastures new.

So, there is a possibility of an ITG kit for the Evora, both S and NA.

The main difference is the silicone elbow, it needs a PCV inlet on the NA, where as the S uses the standard inlet.

ITG are looking into tooling costs currently before deciding if it’s viable. They need to make MAF sensor housings etc along with silicone elbows.

For me, I’m keen to proceed, I’ve had ITG products in the past and I like the look of the BOE Kit, but not the import duty etc :)

ITG already produce the filter for the BOE kit (in Coventry), ship it to their US distributor who add their cut, who then sell to BOE who add their cut and then it’s shipped to the UK where the taxman adds his import duty.

BOE Kit: http://www.boefabrication.com/index.php?/boe/product/evora-cai

I’ve said to ITG that I would gather interest to see how many people are interested in a UK built and supplied intake kit.

I guess the intake could also be applicable to Exige V6 as well, with a slight bracket adjustment?

Cheers,

Lee.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lee, I appreciate that you have done lots of research and know all the variations and understand what you are thinking about doing here but reading that post a less enthusiastic person might not understand all the in and outs of what you are proposing and what the likely gains are.  Or they may just have doubts all of which will stop them ticking a box.  This is just a thought as it is what I thought on reading it and I've been toying with the idea for years and never did anything.

Over the years on here there is so much talk of CAI/Komotec/Larini/Decat/2bular/headers/turbo's and lots more etc. etc. the casual but interested person can get easily confused.  Hell, I'll admit at times I don't know what bit some people are talking about until the 2nd reading of some posts.

So can you maybe lay out the proposal in simpler English and you may get more response. ie. If you have a standard NA and fit this removable replacement air intake & filter kit, the likely gains will be X and the sound will change to slightly louder intake noise. If you have a S then Likely gains Y or whatever and maybe even a very rough ball park £ figure that you expect if we get enough so people know if we are talking £500/£1,000/£1,500.  Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree of course, and those who want more power or whatever will know what they are talking about and get on with it.  It was just how I felt on reading it after reading so many other posts on what seem to be similar subjects for the last 5 years.

Not trying to be a smart arse and dampen your fire so please don't take it that way!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Hi Lee, I'd be interested, but would need to be happy about the development/ testing and results to change from my Radium. I have had this now for about 3 years and been happy with the performance improvements. 

If I changed, I would be looking for:

1. Confirmed performance increase over standard set up

2. Maybe less induction noise than the Radium at high revs - but some would be ok with that.

3. Do away with the heat shield and open cone design of the radium, for a free flowing intake box with direct cold air feed.

4. Confirmed results that show that the air fuel mixture is always within limits and that the MAF sensor is not being tricked - as sometimes alleged with the Radium.

I have had ITG products on S1 and 111R Elises and am a fan, but the whole system would need to tick the boxes above for me to change. 

Thanks all for your constructive comments and questions.

On the facts and figures comments, I've already offered my car to ITG for them to provide back to back figures, standard airbox vs the kit.

Given the BOE kit already uses an ITG filter, it's not really an unknown.

Cost wise, I wouldn't like to put a figure out there and be way out.

But unless it comes in cheaper than the BOE kit (shipped to UK) then we've not acheived the main aim.

So I would be "guessing" at £250-£300 based upon similar kits, the $495 sale price for BOE etc.

There is a bit more to it, rather than "lets glue a filter to a pipe" and go with that.

The MAF sensor pipe requires investment, to ensure the MAF sensor is in the right place, the diameter is correct etc.

Once developed though, the sensor pipe can be reused for Exige V6 as well, even if the bracket is slightly different to support the filter.

Stay tuned, hopefully we can make this a viable proposition.

Oh and "voting" your intention is NOT a commitment, more a way of highlighting how many people would be interested if we can get the raised points correct.

Lee.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

Thanks Lee & I had already voted Yes on that basis.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Lee, I appreciate that you have done lots of research and know all the variations and understand what you are thinking about doing here but reading that post a less enthusiastic person might not understand all the in and outs of what you are proposing and what the likely gains are.  Or they may just have doubts all of which will stop them ticking a box.  This is just a thought as it is what I thought on reading it and I've been toying with the idea for years and never did anything.

Over the years on here there is so much talk of CAI/Komotec/Larini/Decat/2bular/headers/turbo's and lots more etc. etc. the casual but interested person can get easily confused.  Hell, I'll admit at times I don't know what bit some people are talking about until the 2nd reading of some posts.

So can you maybe lay out the proposal in simpler English and you may get more response. ie. If you have a standard NA and fit this removable replacement air intake & filter kit, the likely gains will be X and the sound will change to slightly louder intake noise. If you have a S then Likely gains Y or whatever and maybe even a very rough ball park £ figure that you expect if we get enough so people know if we are talking £500/£1,000/£1,500.  Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree of course, and those who want more power or whatever will know what they are talking about and get on with it.  It was just how I felt on reading it after reading so many other posts on what seem to be similar subjects for the last 5 years.

Not trying to be a smart arse and dampen your fire so please don't take it that way!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get back on this, I was away at Spa earlier this week hence nothing new.

• 5 weeks later...

The MAF and inlet boot design are not as straight-forward as it may seem. Others tried this in the past and ended up with some cars running fine and others causing MILs and/or IPS issues...

We have over 300 of these on the road and no MILs or IPS problems... So I might suggest something alternative than starting from scratch.

Unless you can get ITG to do this at a substantial reduction in cost, and get the data to support that their version of the kit is free of running issues on all cars, then I can't see how saving a few bucks would be worth the trouble...

Perhaps we could arrange a group buy starting at 10 units or more to the UK and go from there... If you or someone could arrange a single shipment point, the interest, etc, we could offer a reasonable discount for an order like that.

Cheers,

Phil

www.boefab.com

Edited by turbophil

How about buying a kit from you and the filter from ITG?

• Like 1

Phil,

I'm interested but a complete knob when it comes to perormance modding / spannering a car so I will always ask the dumb or obvious questions!

I've read of possible conflicts when using a CAI product with a full tuned exhaust system ( headers, cat and back box etc), apparently it's all a bit much for the Evora ECU to re-tune itself to and so needs a remap. Is this similar to what you have found with your customer installs and experiences?

Thanks for the insights. ( shoukd have stated - my interest is with the NA and just noticed it but why is the NA CAI dearer than yhe S? :) )

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 2 weeks later...

So having spoken to BOE directly several times over the past week, there's no talk of a group buy despite multiple requests. Regardless of units ordered, i've been told they'd be sold at retail cost and the only discount would be on shipping to the UK (eg. shipped in one big lump, to one individual, to distribute themselves). 

On that note, i've also been working with Lee on this, and as such my knowledge has plucked up a fair bit as well so maybe I can help answer some of the questions.

Gains:

• Performance: At a guess, based on other designs, a 20bhp gain would be possible. Due to the convoluted design of the OEM box, the airflow isn't that great, and can be improved upon greatly. Simple as that. This does all depend on what setup you're currently running on the car however. 
  • Convenience: The OEM airbox is a convoluted design, and is also a real PITA to change the air filter. Having watched Back on Track do it the other week, you'd be lucky to have any knuckles left. It took two people 10 minutes to do, with a lot of swearing. The ITG airbox is far more simple, and uses a foam element which breathes much much better when dirty.
  • Induction Noise: The ITG solution would produce more induction noise from the left hand side of the vehicle. For US owners, it's extremely noticeable due to being lefties, however for this side of the pond, I would imagine it would be noticeable but not as invasive. However having not used one myself, this is purely on what i've read on other forums/sites.
  • Aesthetics: For those who like a pretty engine bay, they look substancially better. Shamelessly linking images for comparison - NOTE that the ITG one linked wont look identical to the one shown - this is infact the BOE productOEM / ITG
  • Cost: These are currently retailing for $500 in the US. The issue with the US is that the filters are from Coventry. So in essence, that cost is being affected twice by import tax (UK->US->UK) along with about 4-5 different companies markups. After that, you then also have the shipping costs. If ITG are able to provide a solution much like they do for Lotus Elise/Exige/Europas/VX220s etc, along with other marques, then happy days.
  • Other points:
    • The CAI would differ between Evora NAs and Evora S'. No further information on this at the moment, but marginal cost difference if any. 
    • You cannot run the CAI if you are running a komotec solution or similar. The CAI are set up so that the ECU can rebalance fueling etc as appropriate. Any major changes to the manifolds/ECU will result in the car being unable to self-calibrate, and will throw on the MAF error. 

Edited by Kalli

I believe the 20bhp figure from watching these topics on several forums. Interestingly, as I thought though, a full exhaust upgrade (manifolds, box etc.) would cause issues as I thought i had read. This would require, I believe, an ECU remap will be required and my understanding is that only Essex Auto have the experience and the kit in the UK to do this right now. 

@Cocopops - will be interesting to see how this works with your 2bular track set-up as I am assuming that includes manifolds. Let us know how you get on with this please....

The small print.