Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Occasional stink of petrol - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Occasional stink of petrol

• Gold FFM

Hmm - since fiddling with my bulkhead - I am experiencing occasional fuel smells.

before I tear that balance pipe back off - it did look good - and is now all glued back into place. I've only just got the glue off my bloody hands!! I need a little bit of guidance.

no fuel smells when stationary and sitting.

no constant smell when driving 

just now and again - it stinks - and I can't say when it will occur - it's totally random.

car boosts fully and runs as it should.

hmmm - puzzled - there's no puddles of petrol on the garage floor either. When it's sat - I just can't find any smell. 

Could it be fuel in the plenum at certain times making it smell ? I do have the ram air diverted pipe. 

But to be clear - before I fettled with the bulging bulkhead I've never smelt petrol before - and no I haven't stuck a 4" screw through the tank!!!

any ideas??

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This could be the start of something big.when my tank was leaking there was never a trace of fuel on the floor tank was rusted at the top

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Have you checked the breather pipe behind the carpet around the window?

is that the clear pipe that goes from one side to the other??

This could be the start of something big.when my tank was leaking there was never a trace of fuel on the floor tank was rusted at the top

no no - no listening - can't be - lalalalalala

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Righto bibs - looks like I shall be buying some pipe and getting more glue over my hands this week. At least if I replace it then I know it's been done

the pipe looked OK - but was a nice clear pipe that looked like it belonged on a fish tank set up....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Hmmm - it was clear pipe - I looked at it and wondered - it looked clean and nice. 

nice new black fuel hose will be procured shortly. Along with some nice gloves so I don't get that glue all over my hands again!!!

i shall be praying it's not tanks - but it seems far too coincidental that I've just pulled that area about so should be ok. 

Only here once

As Bibs says, check the breather, it's a common problem.  Otherwise, if it's the tanks you'll need to dig deep.

If it's the tanks, it usually condensation building up inside them.  If you drive the car regularly this shouldn't be a problem.  The other cause is rain water getting through the rear quarter window seal and sitting on the foam under the tank.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

it'll be getting new ally tanks if needed - discussion over - just gotta break that one to the wife gently :whistle:

i did pull that pipe out the way though when faffing with the bulkhead - so could easily have damaged it - I'm now thinking its completely the wrong type of pipe and it does look like it's not the original !!

Only here once

The original pipe does look like it belongs in a fish tank.

Did mine when I got it, not too bad and you should only have to peel down the very top of the bulkhead carpet to replace the cross window bit.

• Like 2

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Top tip if you are switching from steel to ally tanks and are not going to re use the old tanks, and are trying to do the job with the engine in situ.  Once you have drained the tank/s flush though with water then cut off the steel bent nozzle from the bottom of the tank, they then just lift out almost vertically.  Main reason for removing/dropping the engine is that to get this nozzle out of the bodywork you have to tilt the tank over, then the engine is in the way.

• Like 2

And don't forget that the balance pipe appears to contain 5 gallons of petrol. Well, that's what it seemed like when it pissed out over the garage floor, over my leg and up my sleeve, anyway,

Edited by ian29gte
  • Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for all the pointers - much appreciated.

I will buy the pipe tomorrow - maybe might have time to have a quick look tomorrow night.

Im really hopeful that I've just fractured that rubbish fish tank pipe. I was not particularly careful with it when trying to reroute the cable for the aerial which I sorted at the same time as the bulkhead. I never had the stink before I fettled that's for sure. However I know my tanks are indeed original.

Does anyone know if anyone has every made and plastic safety tanks for an esprit ??

if it's the worst case - where's the best place to source ally tanks from?? I won't be trying to patch or repair the old ones if it's that.

have some bits to fit to the spitfire to get that road able again so I can send off for mot, so she might just get priority over the esprit.

Do the new ones have to have the same mod to get them back in?

:fish:

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Fish tank pipe now removed and placed for recycling!!

drivers side was loose and floppy on the jubilee clip - rock hard elsewhere.

passenger side had fell off!! So that's where the massive stink was coming from.

nice new solid gates fuel pipe now fitted - the cabinet I don't think has ever smelt so fresh!!! 

Thanks for all the tips - top banana!!! :thumbsup: Sure makes ownership a bit easier.

• Like 1

Only here once