Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Utility Bills - Page 10 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Utility Bills

Bibs

We were looking at Wood burner to help heat the house but they seem to have realised the goldmine they are on and put their prices up as well!

Because we don't have a chimney we would need a complete external flue and we also have no fireplace. We were quoted £4500 2 years ago. I've just been quoted £2000 more by the same company! 

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

11 hours ago, Kimbers said:

We were looking at Wood burner to help heat the house but they seem to have realised the goldmine they are on and put their prices up as well!

Because we don't have a chimney we would need a complete external flue and we also have no fireplace. We were quoted £4500 2 years ago. I've just been quoted £2000 more by the same company! 

We are waiting on building work on our home and some work on my FIL’s house. The quotations bear no correlation to the work involved. The money is staying firmly in our pocket for the time being.

I am confident that prices will drop when the economy inevitably tanks in the next year or two.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Techyd said:

Hate to say it but burning wood is not the answer, despite the appealing low cost vs utility bills when you have it to burn

It’s renewable energy at its most basic level. Humans have done it for thousands of years.

@Frickin_idiot - materials prices are frankly utterly stupid and unpredictable. That’s possibly why you are finding quotes to be unpalatable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Only here once

3 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

It’s renewable energy at its most basic level. Humans have done it for thousands of years.

@Frickin_idiot - materials prices are frankly utterly stupid and unpredictable. That’s possibly why you are finding quotes to be unpalatable.

Quite possibly, either way, the money stays in my pocket. Some of the builders are that busy they won’t even consider doing the work at my father in laws as it isn’t a big enough job (around a weeks work). 

Obviously there are enough people willing to spend whatever it takes.

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Burn the forests.  Burn them all! 🙄

• Gold FFM

Not sure exactly where I stated that. 
But notwithstanding that - the issue is over population and excess consumption. Maybe mass culling would be better ?

• Like 1

Only here once

I use the recycled compressed wood chipping logs that seem to burn for a long time with little ash and very little smoke, the glass stays clean for many burns unlike logs I have bought in the past (probably not seasoned for long enough).

Energy price cap fixed at £2,500 for 2 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62828637

The tax payer will line the pockets of the energy companies with the difference, it's only going to cost an expected £150,000,000,000 but ho-hum, it's only money. :huh:

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Exactly true @Bibs, such an approach offers little in trying to stop the energy giants from pocketing their excessive excess profits.

A windfall tax could actually encourage investment, not cut it as the energy giants want us to believe (& she has fallen for it) It just needs a “windfall tax calculation” to be put in place where the “windfall profit”i is adjusted by cash invested before the windfall tax is calculated. 
It will need thinking through a bit but such a model using ‘adjusted profits/revenues’ has been prevalent in the Ports sector for years when calculating rateable value.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

labour rates are even more stupid

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Can someone please explain the relationship between the energy price cap (e.g. £2500) and the actual cost of energy (pence per kWh (£/Joule))? Is there some assumed total annual energy usage for a household?