Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I hate esprit fuel tanks! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I hate esprit fuel tanks!

jimblob

Its official I hate the fuel tanks on my esprit what an absolute joke of a job that is, I ended up having to cut the exit spout to get the damm thing out. Does anyone have a suggestion on replacement tank? I would want one that is slightly smaller or has a shorter exit spout to make refitting easier. 

https://goo.gl/photos/PGsToV7qSrRsAm8t8

DSC_0078.JPG

Called Andy Wiltshire as mentioned already he is a very busy boy currently has orders for 90+ tanks :o so then I tried esprit engineering and they are going to sort me out a new tank for next week  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hi guys, how do you tell if a fuel tank is on its way out on a 1977 S1 Esprit and on a 1984 S3 Esprit please?

Smell of petrol and if its not the breather pipes then put your hand up under the tanks into the foam and see if they smell of fuel afterwards.  Tops rot out with water from the 1/4 light glass seal failing.

• Like 1

Don't go for aluminium replacenments as they also corrode, go to stainless steel. Some people paint their tanks with a product called POR15 which a a resin, as long as the tanks aren't completely rusted away it is supposed to work well

Colin

• Gold FFM

I was just about to say that the Ali tanks should not corrode unless they are coming into contact with a lot of salt water. Then remembered what they do to your roads over there. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

As far as I know, corrosion is a similar process to oxidation (rust). Where rust requires water and oxygen, corrosion requires salt water and oxygen. That's way back to my HS chemistry so I maybe quite incorrect.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I won't take my Esprit out in the Winter time andwith roads heavily sprayed with salt. I have aluminium tanks. They have been there for five years and they're fine.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I would want one that is slightly smaller or has a shorter exit spout to make refitting easier. 

I seem to remember reading in another fuel tank message thread on the Esprit forum that one manufacturer's tank was shaped so that it slipped in without the problems of the original tank. Perhaps it had curved edges or was slightly smaller.

Try the search function of the forum ;)