Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s charge cooler heat exchanger - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s charge cooler heat exchanger

Has anyone got a P/N for the S4s charge cooler radiator? Or even an exploded diagram they could let me have that lists the parts?

The only one I can see listed in my parts manual is the one that's integrated with the condenser, which I guess fits the S4, but the S4s (and I think the V8) uses separate heat exchange and condensers.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Indeed. Alan is TLF's own version of a Mountie - he always gets his part!

Serck man said the condensers and charge cooler heat exchangers were "throwaway items", and not repairable, seems logical. Not sure if they would have any alternatives, but the charge cooler looks like an A/C evaporator, rather than a normal coolant radiator.

Margate Exotics.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 17:57, ian29gte said:

Indeed. Alan is TLF's own version of a Mountie - he always gets his part!

Hello Ian

I've had a look for your Chargecooler rad. Indeed, it is a bit special, just the S4s and GT3.

Two options really.

1. You might get lucky in Italy: http://www.lotuswebstore.it/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30789

2. If you can measure yours up I will have a go at finding something equivalent. Need overall dims plus cores, inlet and outlet pipe diameters. etc.

The second option might be more helpful for other owners in the future.

If we can do this I will post the link up in the cross references as it covers two models.

Well cool! Cheers!

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I've been in touch with Pro-Alloy, the guy there is pretty helpful, and once I've got my arse into gear and dropped the pack out, probably at the weekend, I'll have something as a pattern to punt around to various possible suppliers. Pro-Alloy does offer a complete set up, however it's all alloy, and I'm not convinced as yet. It's also pretty expensive as over £2,000, and that doesn't include the oil coolers or fans. They will however make individual components.

Serck will also make one-offs, but said the limiting factor for them was fabricating shaped alloy pipework, of which there is some, so that would mean a modification of the flexy pipework, and whilst I'm not averse to doing that, it would still be better to have a direct replacement.

I will message Lotuswebstore, however having just had a rad-pack damaged in transit, I'm wary of something coming thousands of miles from Italy when UK couriers can manage to bugger something up in only 300 miles.

At the moment, I'm thinking rebuilt copper-cored coolant radiator. The twin condensers could be direct replacements (as already sourced by Alan), but could also be one large unit, but the problem I have with that is that they could be more prone to twisting, and subsequent failure.

I should point out that none of my coolers are leaking at this point in time, but they're looking a bit the worse for wear, and I imagine other S4s/GT3 owners will be in the same position, so replacements will almost certainly be required in the not-too-distant future.

More info as and when.

Margate Exotics.

Thank you, at least I can see what it looks like, fittings and pipework. I should be able to get some kind of quote for manufacture from them.

As for buying a secondhand one, I don't think so, plus it's in the U.S., which means it would have to endure international freight handlers. And whilst it might not be damaged when it arrives here, we Brits have an army of couriers, all too ready to play pass-the-parcel with fragile items, as a recent experience has demonstrated.

Actually, the charge cooler radiator looks nothing like what might be termed a 'normal' radiator, in fact it looks very much like an air-con condenser, and not as dense, fin-wise. I wonder if that was deliberate by Lotus in an attempt to allow more air to pass through its fins than a normal cored radiator so as not to restrict cooling air to the condenser and coolant radiator behind?

Food for thought.

Margate Exotics.

My charge-cooler rad is a normal radiator, in fact it's a radiator for a Peugeot 205 GTi, I had to modify the car bod to make it fit, and alter its angle a fair bit, but it works and should be very effective at cooling the charge although I've not logged data to check how effective.

12 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Actually, the charge cooler radiator looks nothing like what might be termed a 'normal' radiator, in fact it looks very much like an air-con condenser, and not as dense, fin-wise. I wonder if that was deliberate by Lotus in an attempt to allow more air to pass through its fins than a normal cored radiator so as not to restrict cooling air to the condenser and coolant radiator behind?

Food for thought.

The Chargecooler radiator on the SE was combined with the AC condensor, and you are right, they are very similar. There are no end tanks.

Here's mine from my 89SE

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

FB_IMG_13732461600559735.jpg

P8201360.JPG

They ll 3 just need to fit within the space provided by the radiator "package" and not block the air flow too much to the engine coolant radiator.

IMG_5100.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Improvise!

Ebay is full of parts which may be easily adapted. Old OE parts are obsolete and often  marginal for the application.

For example, you may choose this large Ford Lincoln oil cooler, 25"Wx12"Hx3"D, part number 9L3Z-7A095-A (black, top)

or, search for the Mercedes 600 series heat exchanger, 24"x5"x3" (alloy, middle)

or, go to siliconeintakes.com and buy their 25"x7"x2 HE 

or, buy two 25 row SETRAB series 9 coolers and modify the radiator shroud like on the last picture. Live the middle open for good cooling of the engine coolant

radiator.

Sky is the limit! LOL

25x12x3 OIL COOLER FORD LINCOLN #9L3Z-7A095-A.jpg

IMG_2144.JPG

radiator_26x7x2_picture.jpg

mock-up front rad and cowl.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS
pictures added
  • Like 1

MrDangerUS

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

Mglp! Is that a recent shot, or an old picture, showing a non-available rad set?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Bought it some years ago in one of the Lotus sales programs

Esprit Freak

Correction:

Ford TRANSMISSION oil cooler PN# (as on the first picture)  is AT4Z-7A095-B

Fits: 1. Ford Edge 2007 2008 2009 2010 ALL ENGINEs

2. Lincoln MKX 2007 2008 2009 2010 ALL ENGINEs

OEM #: AT4Z7A095B

Partslink #:  FO4050149

All aluminum, available on US eBay for $99-147

Edited by MrDangerUS
PN added

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Collected my new charge-cooler radiator yesterday. It's aluminium, high efficiency, and black powder-coated, and will fit the original brackets, I supplied the pattern for the manufacture.

If you're interested in one of these, then contact Chris  Hazell at Pro-Alloy Motorsport. I believe they made another three or four units which are on the shelf.

image.jpeg

Margate Exotics.