Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SpaceX - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

SpaceX

Bibs

• Gold FFM

Have they launched again after the successful one just recently?

As far as the lighthouse one goes, the brickwork foundation of the lighthouse goes into the water.

How did they build that? That is possibly more impressive than changing the people.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

The broken leg on landing (if that is the latest one) could not really be classified as successful I would think. I was pretty impressed with the other one that they landed.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I was thinking success means it actually got the payload into space without incinerating it, unlike certain other launch vehicles, and their description of just the leg failing hints that they managed to land on the floating platform which in itself is pretty darn impressive.

• Gold FFM

Why are they so obsessed with landing on a floating platform all the time? They have proven a Terra Firma landing. Why not just continue with that?

Not "pilots"....but the Bezos v. Musk space access race has gone another step...

https://www.blueorigin.com/news#youtube74tyedGkoUc

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

While Blue Origin has made some interesting progress in space tourism along the lines of Virgin Galactic, SpaceX is working a different market more akin to what NASA operated in - best summed up here - http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-vs-jeff-bezos-2015-11   Still, kudos to the Blue Origin team for doing this well and on such a small budget.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Amazing stuff. :o

On 17/01/2016 at 23:35, ramjet said:

Why are they so obsessed with landing on a floating platform all the time? They have proven a Terra Firma landing. Why not just continue with that?

The reason they are obsessed with landing on the floating platform is because to get the maximum performance from their launcher, it uses too much fuel for them to recover to land. All the fuel is used to heft the payload towards orbit...hence the need for a floating platform to recover the first stage. The first part of the recovery is stopping it going up and getting it to go back the other way....this is done by rotating the booster so the engines point in the direction it is travelling in and firing them as a brake. Now they've done a platform landing....albeit with a rocket with greater propellant reserves. Most of the manoeuvering is carried out by the aerodynamic grids that extend from the launcher on the way down, the motors are only used at the very end. To get the maximum performance from the booster, the fuel and oxydiser are supercooled, thus allowing an increase in mass for a given volume...all the fuelling has to be done at the very last possible moment to stop it all warming up again. It really is a feat of engineering prowess...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say SpaceX are doing some truly amazing work.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 4 months later...

Oooops! I believe there was a satellite loaded too - I'd hate to be the insurance assessor on that little baby!  Strange how the explosion happened under the payload module - wonder if the separators ignited by mistake?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Ack! Not much left. Explosion did look odd, didn't it?

I know there are a lot of working parts and a lot of systems, but you would expect that having done it a few times, this sort of thing would not occur?

I suppose with the fuel that these things use, they are essentially a controlled bomb so all bets are off possibly?

Wonder what the insurance excess is? Won't be so bad if you get the equivalent of a free windscreen once a year. :getmecoat: 

• Gold FFM

Ok. So I just heard our news here which says it was a rocket engine test that went wrong several days before the launch.

So my question is, if you are doing a test firing etc days before the launch, why would you have such an expensive piece of cargo on board?

• 11 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Pretty damn impressive that.

• 5 months later...

Now due to launch at 2045 UTC,  supercooled fuelling under way.....

With today’s Falcon Heavy rocket launch we now have the fastest Lotus made car ever! Yes, it’s a Tesla Roadster... but very Elise derived and with significant Lotus build and input. It’s now IN SPACE! Will be doing 24,000 mph later today after leaving low Earth orbit. 

9DD7D8BF-6588-4918-BC38-7D70E3AB8098.jpeg

• Like 1