Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dented wheel - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dented wheel

6 hours ago, sailorbob said:

The OZ Futura isn't unique to Lotus, maybe you can find a replacement from another vehicle. You can even find the individual components available for sale.

Indeed - and I accidentally 'bought' the wrong wheel on eBay today.  It said it was for an S4 but I know the design is S4s only.  It was 17".  I grabbed it.

I told Steve (the professional) that I'd got a wheel however "mu new wheel" was a 10j - the s4s is 8.5j and later in the ad they quoted 'porsche'.

I contacted the bayer (stevestrange) and he credited me straight away.  Good man.

So - I get a call at 6:30.  It was Steve.  He said 'have you seen your email?' - so I went to look and it seems that he's found a wheel off a friend.  In fact it could be a choice of used or 'new'.  I suppose I can't let the BP down yet - until it gets appreciated by Mr MOT

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

What part of your Wheel is dented?

Jacques.

Well it was a heavy kerb 'wheel crash' is the best way to describe it.  It's the very outer rim which is bent and exposes the tyre bead but does not leak.  The problem is - the inner part of the wheel is distorted.  I think I have to agree that it is very bad - I was merely ignorant to MOT checks.  Its not one of the things I'd consider,

If I had the wheel I would put a photo here but alas.....

Edited by Stimpy

Yes " stevestrange " the bayer does have plenty of s4s alloys as he is breaking a red car at the moment, His prices are high and he is discussed quite often on the forums but at the end of the day if you get a wheel out of it, its all good. 

Also on ebay dont just look for wheels or a particular part.....  If you see lotus esprit parts for sale always message the seller and see if they have any more bits, I looked at a door for an esprit.! and ended up buying a whole car for my last project. !  

Also look up lotus esprit v8 gearbox , cant do links so you will have to put this in lol.  the seller is Nick Warren nice bloke and have dealt with him a few times, he has sold plenty of used esprit and breaks esprits every now and then, he is breaking a few at the moment and one is a green v8, cant see the wheels in the pic but may be a good spare set dependant on the design of the wheel and the price, 

Regards Danny

A

I'm surprised that repair is not an option.  I've had dings both to the outer rim repaired (brayed with a rubber hammer with the affected part protected with masking tape) and inner side by heating and then put on a roller.  Inner rims are particularly vulnerable because they have less support than the visible "spoked" outer.  And, they are not visible and hence, not immediately detectable.

• Gold FFM

Hi Stimpy

I hit a plastic pallet at speed on the motorway in France and severely dented the alloy on my NSF (on my Esprit). It was bad enough that it leaked air and I had to drive around on my spare for a fortnight. When I got back I took it to My Alloys in Basingstoke. They repaired it for £100 + VAT. It repaired (almost) as god as new and I am driving around on it now.

They are not too far from you and I would recommend them highly. http://www.myalloys.co.uk/

Kevin

• Gold FFM
59 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

This thread is useless without photos, Stimpy.

It's not looking good...

untitled.png.b60310a0081b9fcc3d674a11d5f

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

It's not looking good...

untitled.png.b60310a0081b9fcc3d674a11d5f

ha aha aha aha ahha ha.

Get A new rim for the S4S wheel. Think Pete Musgrove at PNM had Some a while back. Im assuming that its the front 3 piece futura OZ? as you stated 17 inch 8.5j

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

On 18 March 2016 at 10:28, Winter said:

I'm surprised that repair is not an option.  I've had dings both to the outer rim repaired (brayed with a rubber hammer with the affected part protected with masking tape) and inner side by heating and then put on a roller.  Inner rims are particularly vulnerable because they have less support than the visible "spoked" outer.  And, they are not visible and hence, not immediately detectable.

So driving the wheels on a highly luxury car will make them better???   :-)   Sorry - poor joke,

On 18 March 2016 at 10:33, ian29gte said:

This thread is useless without photos, Stimpy.

I;ve got the car back - I'll get some pics of the offending wheel

On 18 March 2016 at 10:48, Kevin Wheeler said:

Hi Stimpy

I hit a plastic pallet at speed on the motorway in France and severely dented the alloy on my NSF (on my Esprit). It was bad enough that it leaked air and I had to drive around on my spare for a fortnight. When I got back I took it to My Alloys in Basingstoke. They repaired it for £100 + VAT. It repaired (almost) as god as new and I am driving around on it now.

They are not too far from you and I would recommend them highly. http://www.myalloys.co.uk/

Kevin

Thats handy.

They could all do with refurbing - cheers for that

Not a bad look, it's been done before. Follow your dreams.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 06.35.23.png

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Ah, the german auto industry is trying out new ways to reduce drag on their offerings. Centerlock seems to be popular again. Might even improve on the soft springing.

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

But seriously.....

I now have all 4 wheels that are fine.

My wheels are matte except for the 'new' old wheel which is more 'chromey'.

If you're prepared to keep the next bit secret I'd appreciate it.

On the way home (after job done + new MOT) I .........

err.....

I scuffed the wheel on a crappy bit of road that I had never been down before.

Moving rapidly on (and wondering if this should be a new thread) it brings me back to a whole new set of DIFFERENT wheels for the car.

It's by sheer chance that the car is on the road.  In future times there will be no wheels.  Probably.

I'm now considering going back on a decision I made some time ago and I'm thinking of getting some new wheels for the car.

I'l keep the old ones for originality (should I sell the car) but I actually believe that modern alloys cold actually take a car that seems quite timeless and looks great in the 2010's (despite age) and get some colour coded wheels for it.  I think it could easily bring the car up to date.

It's possible that most readers of this post will be a bit 'anti' what I'm suggesting but are there any readers who have had the transplant?

And does anyone know the figures - I mean the diam/width need to be the same - so that should be easy enough -  but any ideas on offset and any other stats I'd need to know?

Ta in advance