Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
hethel visit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

hethel visit

Was at the factory on Wednesday doing a tour of the factory and classic team lotus. I left the factory feeling sad and concerned for the future of the company the factory from the outside was looking very tired  and unloved as inside the factory not much happening a few cars going down the line very few people around lots of cars looking unfinished the whole place seemed as if little money was being spent on it and just waiting for someone to buy it.......

I hope I'm wrong. ....

Lotus are in a better position than they've been for several years, a snapshot hour of the factory doesn't really prove much. Let's not forget it's only a couple of years ago that Bahar blew over a quarter of a billion on sweet fa, a lick of paint on the walls isn't a priority right now I'm sure.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Just waiting for someone to buy it........ Tesla or Mercedes?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM

Nice response Bib's. Must say though, with the current demand for cars in the US, you would think they would be shouting off the rooftops at the increased international interest in a British Designed, British Bulit project.

But then again Lotus have never been knopwn for blowing their trumpet.

We could go over with a couple of ladders, a few gallons of whitewash and some caper music? I'd bring my long jacket with clepto-lining for the five finger parts discount.

Being serious, it would be a nice way to be there for a group of enthusiasts. Two guys with deck brushes would have that roundel sorted in an hour. (ex. tea breaks)

• Like 1

I  would so love to have a look around the factory, but too far for me to come from way down here in NZ.

If anyone has any photos, it would be interesting to see

Do they let you take photos inside ?

Cheers

There's an episode of Car SOS about an Elan and they go to the factory, there are some interior scenes but not the production floor. There is a long video of the production floor too both somewhere on YouTube.

Morgan is a firm wish on my list, they've been doing it their way from the get go so whatever that turns out to be is alright by me :)

Google streetview has some 360 degree pictures of the factory (from 2008): https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.5608279,1.1789599,3a,75y,202.59h,69.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s33e8K-8aV_4kVkNU5Z1UyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=nl

National Geographic made an episode of megafactories, focussed on the Evora (you should ignore or skip the Bahar bits :) )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I'm sure their volumes are fairly healthy - I suppose we have to remember that Lotus is an incredibly low volume manufacturer. Jaguar apparently made more F-Types last year than Lotus made Esprits in 27 years, and the F-Type is still considered a low-production volume car in terms of the big players. 

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

To put things in a bit of  perspective as to the production's pace, Lotus' goal was to produce 3000 cars this financial year, that is 60 cars per week over 50 weeks or 12 cars per day over a normal production year. And last time I checked the production hall crew was around 300 staff probably a few have come on board since the apprentice program and a few over hirings. Bibs please correct me if I'm wrong.

There have been a few delays here and there according to my closest dealer over here (Scotti - Lotus of Montréal). so maybe they will be slightly under their objectives for this year but they should still be in the black. 

I Don't know guys. As you know I have friends working at Lotus on the Production line. A couple of weeks ago one posted up some pretty derogatory stuff saying he had been let down by Lotus, didn't have any money etc etc.

Whilst their finances may be much tighter than they were I do worry about their current investment levels. 

I just hope that this is all getting all their things in place to sell and get some investment!

BTW this does not come from MJK or in any way reflect his view or any official view. This is purely me saying what my friends say.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

On 5/22/2016 at 18:28, Enfield said:

I  would so love to have a look around the factory, but too far for me to come from way down here in NZ.

If anyone has any photos, it would be interesting to see

Do they let you take photos inside ?

Cheers

Darren,

I went on a tour with @Parramint in May 2011, and was allowed to take photos of the factory and the track, but not the design studio!

Photos are here

https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/TripToUKAndLotus?noredirect=1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

On 6/16/2016 at 11:06, Kimbers said:

I Don't know guys. As you know I have friends working at Lotus on the Production line. A couple of weeks ago one posted up some pretty derogatory stuff saying he had been let down by Lotus, didn't have any money etc etc.

Is he a sub contractor.or agency staff?  That sounds an odd thing to say for an employee.  We use sub contract staff and sometimes have to let them down if we don't have the work for them (but all our employees are taken car of), but it is no indication of our financial health at all.