Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust sound 350 vs V6 Club Racer / V6 S - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust sound 350 vs V6 Club Racer / V6 S

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference in sound between the 350 Sport and the V6 S or V6 CR? A 350 owner that drove both cars is saying that there is a clearly noticeable difference... did they change the Exhaust system with the 350? or is that just the louvred pannel? or nothing at all?

Cheers

Norbert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The 350 Sport uses the Evora 400 diffuser and associated trims (Lotus are commonising parts where appropriated apparently.

I was told when I collected my car that the Exhaust is another commonised part used on both models, Looking at the Evora 400 parts pages my new Exige definitely looks to have the 400 Exhaust fitted

400 has a single hole in tail pipe, exige has pig nose tail pipe.

which does yours have?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I opted for the sport exhaust on my Sport 350 when I ordered it last March. They told me that they have a newer version that sounds better but it retains the look of the stock exhaust, and that it is now valved. Since I really didn't like the look I just told them to give me the old sports exhaust with the dual pipes. I'm afraid I can't tell you how it sounds as I don't have my unit yet.

Was at Hethel last year and on track doing laps was what I now think was a 350Sport mule. Definitely sounded angrier than my Cup to the point where I asked what the exhaust was and could I have one. The test driver just said it was the 'standard' exhaust and it is true to say it looked the same, with the pig snout etc but I am 100% sure it sounded better. It wasn't the full (too noisy) Evora 400 system, of that I am sure but it sounded harder edged than the regular V6S / Cup / CR set up.    

• Like 1

Was going to say if it's the Evora system which "allegedly" hits 108 DB, you wouldn't stand a chance of getting on most track days. Would be good to hear the difference though 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Agree - if it is the Evora system ... track use is going to be very difficult  ... but I am not sure what changed if anything ... I also noticed a new 350 in Spa last time thar sounded louder than the other Exiges ....

Hi Norbert,

if you are thinking of a yellow Sport 350 at the LoT track day in June, that was my new Lotus. Apart from harness bar and harnesses it was absolut standard, even with Corsas at that time. So I wonder if it could have been louder than other V6 Exiges.

After reading a lot here recently your posting motivated mehr to create an account and write my first posting, so hello everybody!

At the moment I am in Croatia for some holidays including some track activities at Rijeka/Grobnik with the Exige.

Have a nice evening,

Ulli

• Like 1

Hi Ulli,

exactly it was the yellow one I was thinking of :-) ... yours sounded great... not sure if it really was different to mine thats why I was trying to find out if there is a difference... never heard mine from the outside... 

Just got mine back from the dealer, finally with harness, Trofeos and adjusted Geo :-) ... 

By the way: great that you joined - TLF is a great place ... I got a lot of help from some great chaps here. A lot more racers here than in the German forum ;-) We briefly talked in Spa by the way.

Cheers

Norbert

• Like 1

Hi Norbert,

seems I had been totally taken away by all the sensations with the Exige and its first day on track, because even now I can't remember we have been talking. I hope you don't take it personally and that we'll soon get another chance to meet. Zandvoort with LoT in August maybe?

I share your views on TLF and the German forum in comparison, especially if you are talking about the 'yellow forum'. <_<

Which Lotus dealer are you using?

We just briefly talked ... dont worry ... just was admiring your car ;-) and asking questions while walking through the boxes...

I bought mine at M.A.S. in Wuppertal ... which is close to where I am ... they are quite new to Lotus but they go the extra mile to keep you happy.

I will most likely do Bilster Berg in August with LoT ... thats my home track ... curious to see if I can finally brake the 2 min there now with the help of the Trofeos ;-) ... will also be there next Tuesday, if the weather is nice ...if you havent been there - its a phenomenal track ... and we will quickly see if they changed the 350 exhaust, as they are quite tough on noise ... 

Will also do another day at least at Spa this year ... Zandvoort wasnt on my list but maybe ;-)

@ Bibs: Thanks a lot for your welcome!

@ Norbert: M.A.S. is very near for me as well, only about 35 ks from Essen. Had test drives of an Exige CR and a Roadster with an automatic gearbox there. Good to hear their workshop service is good.

• Like 1

On 13 July 2016 at 23:21, DJW said:

Was going to say if it's the Evora system which "allegedly" hits 108 DB

FWIW, it's not 'allegedly'.

Lotus's official figure for the 400 is 108dB static although a 400 was recently tested at Snetterton and hit 110dB static:

From exige sport 350 service notes : 

As per Evora 400, the engine intake air bypass assembly is simplified with the deletion of the intake snorkel hose, a bypass adaptor tube connects the main airbox adaptor case to the underside of the lower air filter casing. The bypass flap within the inlet of the lower air case assembly is removed; air now directed into the casing from both the main intake as well as the underside of the casing under all driving conditions. The vacuum diaphragm assembly controlling the bypass flap remains in place but the vacuum hose between the intake by-pass vacuum switching valve (attached to the side of the lower air case) and diaphragm is now deleted; a vacuum hose from the exhaust system engine protection valve vacuum actuator is now connected directly to the by-pass switching valve. the electrical solenoid valve fitted on Exige S models located on the rear subframe is no longer required.

The chaps at Christopher Neil kindly gave me a quick run in a Sport 350 Roadster at the weekend and it was the first thing I commented on. It sounded so much more purposeful than mine. Not that the earlier Exiges sound bad, but it was a serious improvement to my ears. 

From memory the Sport 350 now utilises the IPS exhaust system which seems to have a slightly different note. The removal of the flap within the airbox just stops the valve closing due to a reduction in vaccum at prolonged full throttle. It wouldn't affect the sound. 

• Like 1