Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drones... - Page 13 - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Drones...

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a roof survey this morning, good to be back in the saddle. Socially distant, no contact with anyone so all good. Was on site at 8am, leaving by 9.30am and client had 4k video and images before midday. 

EDS_#-1.jpg

EDS_#-10.jpg

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Just a thought for anyone looking for a suitable tablet to use with their drone. We have a DJI Mavic 2 and a Mavic Mini here and were looking for a economical tablet to use with them. The internet is vague on whether a Samsung Tab A [2019] will be compatible with the DJI Fly app, but the 8" version of the tablet seemed a good price, for a reasonable tablet. I can confirm that the DJI Fly app has to be sideloaded, but does work on the Tab A8 [model SM-T290]. DJI Go 4 loads directly from the app store and also works fine.*

*haven't actually flown either drone using the tablet yet because of persistent wind, but grounded testing doesn't produce any issues.

Received a very generous Birthday gift from Mrs mik and the sprogs - a DJI Mavic Mini. Never had a drone before and this thing is tiny - about the size of a glasses case. 

First time I have been able to get out since lockdown to try and get a shot of the car. 

Wind-speed was high and it was gusty, but the wee drone coped well. Not sure how happy the farmer would have been, but it had clearly just all been cut and I moved very carefully 🙂

I am still very much learning - not claiming to be any drone expert, but was happy enough with these (the first spiral one is a preset so all I did was assess the shot and press a button).

I didn’t add any  music so hum along in your heads.... 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mik said:

Received a very generous Birthday gift from Mrs mik and the sprogs - a DJI Mavic Mini.

I wasn't sure if this was an ice cream or a lady garden trim. Turns out to be a small chopper. Happy birthday!

• Like 2

We've been playing with these at work

How drones are powering the future of utilities - Atos

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

No idea to be honest @Bibs - we had been using them (and others) to do overhead line inspections in the Alps on high voltage transmission cables and are looking to deploy similar tech into Northern Ireland for their Transmission Line inspections.  Drone technology is really coming out at a pace, as we can see from the stuff you, and others, are using.  It's a really interesting tech stream and I can see this leading to a situation where airlines use "pilotless" planes in the future (essentially the Pilot will be in a remote location and will "switch" between planes for key actions such as takeoff/landing preparations and remote control.  It will be the bridge in building public acceptance of "pilotless" planes - to start off with you will have the pilots in the plane monitoring the remote pilots (secondary failsafes etc), then you'll move to full remote. Some years away yet but you can see where it is going.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

The problem with automated planes is the same as automated cars, you still need people monitoring them and that is the weak spot. As soon as it's not a continuous focus task attention drifts very quickly and the risk factor starts to increase no matter how good the machines are.

There is tech to address this, cars are starting to come out this year with driver monitoring systems (the Caddy CT6 already has one, I believe BMW, Ford, Mercedes and others are following this/next year) and Euro Ncap has now put driver monitoring into it's future safety ratings so I imagine planes will follow the same route. There's going to be a lot of change in the next 5-10 years on automation I think!

Edited by Bibs

Driver monitoring has been on top end models for several years - it monitors your input to the wheel over time and also your eye movements. On the wife's car it manifests as a dash message asking if you want to take a coffee break... The thinking being it encourages you, when it senses you are tired/distracted, to take a break. That coupled with radar cruise, radar collision warning, lane drift aversion, and speed/sign monitoring is essentially the "package" you need to develop a fully self automated vehicle - once you then network these cars you can go full autonomous. So the systems basically exist right now for the car and are available for the planes too. Let's be honest for probably 90% of any commercial airline flight the pilots are "monitoring" stuff and not actually flying the plane.

Yeah - they have autoparking systems too which takes a lot of the risk out of going out with the wife whilst she is driving.

• Haha 2

Wasn't the space X launch rocket like a giant drone and was remotely guided onto a ship in the atlantic

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

You can't beat a good hasselback! Enjoy...

image.jpeg.5999d5173d96ddeeeeb57931b576c693.jpeg

This is one of 5 AEB shots taken over the weekend of the sunset.

0.jpg

Once they're merged into an HDR in Lightroom and the levels adjusted (nothing added, just adjustments), you get this :thumbsup:

77139874_574589379857928_1661787451720466432_o.jpg

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Well it looks like the Aussie division of Esprit Drones Services haas come to a crashing end. Literally.

Rear lefthand motor has stopped working and the drone zipped off into the trees in our backyard. Got it back but can't see it as repairable.

Bibs, I thought you already had a Mavic?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Ah. didn't know you had sold the first one.

I keep thinking about one, but I know I just would not use it enough for any real reason.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)